Poll: How many on the Escapist dislike anime?

Snake Plissken

Jul 30, 2010
Preface: Do not turn this into a flame war. I didn't start this to bring two separate groups together for an all-out brawl. If that's what this turns into, I'll ask to shut this down before it escalates.

I decided to start this poll to see what kind of company I'm in.

So, how small is the minority at the Escapist that doesn't particularly appreciate what anime is offering?

For those of you who do enjoy anime, feel free to list things that turned you onto it for people who may be curious about it.

Normandyfoxtrot

Feb 17, 2011
I don't there isn't much I've found I like, but dismissing every piece of animated work from a nation/region is just lazy or elitist considering how many wind up sounding like the same literary critics that said that Sci-fi and fantasy are nothing more than trash literature.

fenrizz

Feb 7, 2009
I have virtually no opinion on anime.

I don't really like it, but neither do I dislike it.
It's ok, I guess.

Macgyvercas

Spice & Wolf Restored!
Feb 19, 2009
*Looks at avatar*
*looks at custom title*
*looks at shelf full of anime and manga*

What do you think my answer is?

shadyh8er

Apr 28, 2010
I like it.

I originally turned to it because the thought of blood and nudity in a cartoon fascinated me (I was young and stupid, leave me alone!)

I stayed for the outstanding characters like Spike from Cowboy Bebop and interesting and novel plots like Death Note and, more recently, Baka and Test (it's better than it sounds).

RJ Dalton

Aug 13, 2009
Normandyfoxtrot said:
I don't there isn't much I've found I like, but dismissing every piece of animated work from a nation/region is just lazy or elitist considering how many wind up sounding like the same literary critics that said that Sci-fi and fantasy are nothing more than trash literature.
This. I mean, it's no different from the weaboos who *only* like anime and nothing else. The truth of the matter is that anime is just like any other form of media: there's good stuff and there's bad stuff, but most of it is just mediocre and not anything worth leaping out of bed for.

Craorach

Jan 17, 2011
I want to find Anime I like... I certainly like the art style of many of them... at least certain aspects of it >.>

I watched the first few episodes of Bleach with my wife and we kinda liked that.

I think for me the problem I have with it is that it is either really badly dubbed, or subtitled. I don't want to have to read while I'm watching TV, and I truly believe any product officially released in a country should support its main language properly.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Snake Plissken said:
I decided to start this poll to see what kind of company I'm in. I've never been a fan of anime, and don't really understand why it appeals to people from so many other countries. I assume that it's a fascination with other cultures and a yearning for something different, but I don't care to understand, really.
See, that itself screams out "I'm itching for a flame war," despite your preface. It's needlessly dismissive and honestly, kind of antagonistic.

I'm relatively ambivalent to anime myself. Don't exactly hate it, but neither has it really appealed to me or more than a few titles stood out as noteworthy.

AndyFromMonday

Feb 5, 2009
Most anime shows are aimed at children and pre-teens so I can't say I hate it when I'm not even in the intended demographic.

Snake Plissken

Jul 30, 2010
Razada said:
Huh...I don't really seem to recall saying that I've never tried it. I mean, I'm reading my post and...nope, I never said that. Let me check again...shit, still don't see it. Can you please point out where I said that I've never watched anime?

Tell you what...point out the spot in my post that I said "I've never watched anime and I don't like it," and I'll give you all of my money. And my guitar collection. And my corgis (you like dogs, right?). Oh, and all of my video games.

Snake Plissken

Jul 30, 2010
Zachary Amaranth said:
Since you've so kindly pointed out that you'll search for a flame war in anything, even those that say "No flame war", let me know what you'd remove and I'll remove it.

Sectan

Aug 7, 2011
I enjoy it. Although I hate the cliches you always find. OM NOM NOM when characters are eating. Having a character take time to explain something I just saw. Something dramatic happening and having the screen splits of" OH AH NO WHAT AHHHH!" That said, I don't know how many hours I've spent watching the few scraps of anime I get from Adult Swim. I guess Anime is a medium, not a genre, and I watch what I like. I don't automatically love or hate it just because of the art style.

staika

I am Tizzy's Willing Slave
Aug 3, 2009
I like anime well some of it to be exact. Some of it's good some of it's bad but I do enjoy watching the good ones. Granted I haven't been watching much recently seeing as I have been spending most of my time on here and the rest doing school work :/

Enslave_All_Elves

Mar 31, 2011
dislike. I have seen some cool artwork in old stuff, and some stylistic flares I enjoyed. However many are cookie cutter, as are the characters and writing.