Poll: How many on the Escapist dislike anime?

zelda2fanboy

Oct 6, 2009
I don't like the subject matter at hand or how it's handled. The Pokémon cartoon was exactly what drew my interest and exactly what wore it out. There just seemed like a ton of repetition in it, as well as any other anime series I tried to get into. I also watched that Tokyo Godfathers movie which dealt with a more real world scenario, but I found out from it that I just don't really dig the animation style. I don't like the way the faces look, I don't like the expressions they make, and I cannot stand the "embarrassment" with exterior face lines image that always seems to pop up in anime. It's grating and unpleasant. I also don't like when they have fight scenes and the background is just a scrolling pattern that has nothing to do with the action taking place. It just bugs me from an aesthetic perspective.

I don't like when video games use anime art styles either. It reeks of a lack of imagination and a shameless attempt to cater to a demographic. Make it look like something I've never seen before. Not this.

Fifty-One

Sep 13, 2010
I enjoy some of the classic anime series. Akira, Ghost in the Shell, Princess Mononoke, Neon Genesis Evangelion, Cowboy Bebop, Full Metal Alchemist, etc.

If it has a good story, I'll watch it.

z121231211

Jun 24, 2008
I love it the same way I love video games: There's a lot of crap, a lot of things you just aren't interested in, a lot of things you can watch and not get much out of and then there's the few that change your life and make the whole medium worth defending.

floobie

Sep 10, 2010
"Other". I like some and dislike some. To me, it's just like any other genre. It's like asking if I like dramas. Sure I do. But definitely not all of them. I don't exactly go out of my way to seek it out, or consider myself a "fan".

Sandernista

Feb 26, 2009
I generally don't like most anime, I enjoy most manga more. (I also don't like most cartoons)

But, many anime that were put together well are amazing. Anything studio Ghibli, Baccano!, FMAB. Yadda Yadda.

vivalahelvig

Jun 4, 2009
I don't "dislike" anime, I hate anime. I think it all blows and I would love to take a chainsaw to it.
[sub]come at me[/sub]
It's my opinion and you can't stop me!

AndrewC

Jun 24, 2010
I'm an animation student, and I dislike animé to quite a fair extent.

It just doesn't appeal to me at all, but I have no problem at all with my friends talking about it etc, I just stand there going "no idea what you're on about!" xD

Zach of Fables

Oct 5, 2011
Actually a qualifier: Like the Red Sox, anime wouldn't bother me as much if it weren't for its fanatical fans that I see in comic book stores, conventions, etc.

Nickompoop

Jan 23, 2011

Seriously. It doesn't matter if you like anime or whatever. We all like video games, ain't that enough?

=Frost=

Oct 6, 2011
Zach of Fables said:
Actually a qualifier: Like the Red Sox, anime wouldn't bother me as much if it weren't for its fanatical fans that I see in comic book stores, conventions, etc.
Couldn't be more right. Except anime is just shit to begin with.

Arsen

Nov 26, 2008
I like old anime. The new ones are lacking in the storyline, emotion, epic department these days.

Optiluiz

Dec 30, 2010
I don't particularily like it because of clichés. I hate Japanese clichés more than western ones.

Aiden Raine

Oct 3, 2011
I like anime, but I really can't stand most popular anime. if not for the anime itself (naruto, bleach, Dragon Ball whatever), then for the legions of idiot fans (Death Note). there is quite a lot of anime that I do like, however. mostly action/adventure or drama.

Sparcrypt

Oct 17, 2007
I have no problem with it - my last room mate was very into anime so I saw a bit of it as he watched - I just don't enjoy it on any real level. I mean sometimes they'd do crazy amusing stuff of one form or another but the appeal is lost on me.

So while yes I dislike anime, I'm not some huge anime hater, I just don't enjoy it.

G-Force

Jan 12, 2010
Arsen said:
I like old anime. The new ones are lacking in the storyline, emotion, epic department these days.
I think the hard part now with finding good new shows is that since almost everything gets fan translated its really hard to determine the good from the bad.

Emotion - Give Anohana a spin
Storyline - Steins;Gate was a great new series that puts an interesting spin on time travel theory and mechanics
Epic - There are many to choose from with Hot Blooded series like Gurren Lagann or the super cool Black Lagoon and Baccan, there are many shows that fit this category. Kaiji is about high stakes gambling where the characters psyche each other out with a unique form of Rock Paper Scssiors or you can watch Tiger and Bunny which is a super hero based show where all the heroes have real world sponsors.

Torrasque

Aug 6, 2010
Like anime.
I watched DBZ, Pokemon, Cardcaptor Sakura, Medabots, and many other shows as a kid.
I have always enjoyed Japanese animation over any other, and likely always will. That being said, I have found some non-Japanese animation that I enjoy thoroughly.

funguy2121

Oct 20, 2009
Snake Plissken said:
Preface: Do not turn this into a flame war. I didn't start this to bring two separate groups together for an all-out brawl. If that's what this turns into, I'll ask to shut this down before it escalates.

I decided to start this poll to see what kind of company I'm in.

So, how small is the minority at the Escapist that doesn't particularly appreciate what anime is offering?

For those of you who do enjoy anime, feel free to list things that turned you onto it for people who may be curious about it.
I'm just kind of done with it, overall. If someone does what Tarantino did in the first Kill Bill film, and does it as well, I'd be interested. If someone follows a path similar to that of the Wachowskis with The Matrix trilogy, I might get excited about it. I'll still watch Cowboy Bebop and Evangelion. But every new anime I watch, even Afro Samurai, I find to be more obnoxious than thrilling.