Poll: How many on the Escapist dislike anime?

gery900

Mar 8, 2011
60 something % like it and the rest dont....
WTFFF
I know anime can be sh** fu***** annoying, but, its awesum...

Chemical Alia

Feb 1, 2011
Troublesome Lagomorph said:
Chemical Alia said:
Chemical Alia said:
Huzzah for hating an entire form of media!
They're just cartoons. It's hardly a separate medium from any other style of animation. Not everybody has to enjoy or appreciate cartoons. If you want to assign some special extra value or significance to them, good for you, but don't expect everyone to.
Aaaaand that's the exact argument they use against gaming. "It's just a game."
I don't know what argument you're talking about, but games are "just games." Video games aren't for everybody, and if they're not your thing, you can pursue other interests for entertainment.
Good. Will laugh my ass off if I ever see you defending games, after all, they're nothing special.
People are free to like what they want. There's nothing inherently "special" about anime, games, sports, country music or any other form of entertainment that anyone needs to care about. I'm a game developer myself anf I care greatly about what I do, but I don't expect someone else to like games just because I do. Weeaboos always seem to think that the anime they appreciate is somehow different from anyone else's hobbies and deserves special respect. It's kind of bratty, to be honest.

AttemptingReason

Nov 25, 2009
I like how animation can do a space opera and a soap opera equally well on the same budget. I like how a story essentially about an odd couple exchanging witty banter and having adventures based in medieval economics can actually get published (for two seasons, no less, because it was actually really great). Basically, I like how diverse the stories in animation can be, and there are a lot of great, unique anime out there if you know how to look. I like stories, and I've been satisfied recently with a good number of the ones I've been finding in anime.

P.S. I hope I don't have to qualify that a lot of/most anime are garbage or mainstream sleep-aids just like every other medium. Anime just seems to have more diversity of storytelling and setting in the fringes than live action or western cartoons.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
gery900 said:
60 something % like it and the rest dont....
WTFFF
I know anime can be sh** fu***** annoying, but, its awesum...
Welcome to the internet. In time, you will likely grow accustomed to people having differing points of view. Until then, try to remember to take deep breaths.

Seriously, how hard is it understand that "awesome" to one person may be "crap" to another?

Troublesome Lagomorph

The Deadliest Bunny
May 26, 2009
Chemical Alia said:
Chemical Alia said:
Chemical Alia said:
Huzzah for hating an entire form of media!
They're just cartoons. It's hardly a separate medium from any other style of animation. Not everybody has to enjoy or appreciate cartoons. If you want to assign some special extra value or significance to them, good for you, but don't expect everyone to.
Aaaaand that's the exact argument they use against gaming. "It's just a game."
I don't know what argument you're talking about, but games are "just games." Video games aren't for everybody, and if they're not your thing, you can pursue other interests for entertainment.
Good. Will laugh my ass off if I ever see you defending games, after all, they're nothing special.
People are free to like what they want. There's nothing inherently "special" about anime, games, sports, country music or any other form of entertainment that anyone needs to care about. I'm a game developer myself anf I care greatly about what I do, but I don't expect someone else to like games just because I do. Weeaboos always seem to think that the anime they appreciate is somehow different from anyone else's hobbies and deserves special respect. It's kind of bratty, to be honest.
More like, I find it stupid to discredit an ENTIRE form of media, which you don't seem to understand.

Ironbat92

Nov 19, 2009
I don't want to say I dislike it, since Dragon Ball Z is one of my favorite Cartoons and something of my childhood that still holds up, but most haven't been interesting. Call me a dumbass American, but I prefer characters like Nathan Drake, Marcus Fenix, Ratchet and Clank, Optimus Prime, and Master Chief over the 9 billion overly emotional Teenagers that seen in anime. Also, I HATE Anime Humor. It's like watching an episode of Spongebob, but added blood and tits. I prefer the more intelligent humor in stuff like South Park, Venture Brothers, The Simpsons, and Futurama(although I hated the anime spoof they did. Once you see one spoof of anime that were popular in the 80's, you've seen them all.)

quantumsoul

Jun 10, 2010
I like animation in general. Anime like any story telling medium has different genres. Some I like, some I don't regardless if it's anime or not.

Birdmad

Mar 19, 2010
I think this question is a bit silly.... I like some anime. I love Satoshi Kon movies, Monster is great, I really enjoyed reading Nana and other Ai Yazawa series, but I found Death Note to be predictable and I really disliked some shoujos I've watched. My taste change with the years, but there are always some anime I like and some I don't. Like there are always movies I like and movies I don't. Series I like and don't, comics, books, games, etc. There isn't something universal to anime, I guess. So loving-all-things-anime or hating-all-things-anime is just nonsense to me.

Normandyfoxtrot

Feb 17, 2011
Stammer said:
I hit "Dislike" because while there are a couple anime shows that I have liked in the past, I'm not exactly convinced that anime has ever done anything better than other animation.

And like many things a lot of my distaste for the style comes from the way its fans treat it. I know a number of people that just take their fandom WAY too far. Liking another culture is fine, as is disliking your own, but pretending you are part of that culture and completely ignoring other cultures is kind of a dick move.
They don't need to do anything better than other animations their literally just animation, I still don't understand why people repeatedly try to insist that manga or anime is some different strange genre.

blankedboy

Feb 7, 2009
Depends on the anime, I guess. I hated Blue Sub No.6 and Serial Experiments Lain for example, but loved Angel Beats, Clannad and Higurashi.

oh look i'm in the seventh paeg! nopody gon read dis

Varitel

Jan 22, 2011
I was never a fan myself. I have friends who love it, but for whatever reason, I just never found it that interesting.

Johann610

Nov 20, 2009
A lot of Japanese Anime tropes: gross-out violence, angst on top of angst, long descriptions of every. thing. in.the.battle., bother me. So does that tendency to include "nothing is happening, but we'll let a character monologue or narrate it as we go" still-frames. Then again, so does the cheap animation, bare-thread plotting, and laugh tracking of Hanna-Barbera cartoons. Anime with a lot of action is my favorite thing in the world, and yes, I'll watch it.

Nightwolf214

Oct 12, 2011
What first got me into anime was reading manga really. From there, I branched into watching the shows, and Netflix has expedited that process (don't be fooled though, they don't have everything).

lord.jeff

Oct 27, 2010
I hate this type of question anime(any foreign entertainment for that matter) is just as varied as America's stuff, some is good, some of it is good but doesn't cater to my interests, and most of it is crap. I do like but not for the fact that it's anime but just because it's good.

CaptVickHartnell

Jan 12, 2011
I don't dislike all anime, there are just certain aspects of it that annoy me. I like that there is anime targeted at a wide range of age groups, and I like that they're not afraid to touch subject matters that mainstream Western animation wouldn't go near, but some things that seem to be a mainstay in many, many animes just annoy me to the point of cringing. First-and-foremost is the tendency for even some of the more 'serious' animes to make their characters go all "chibi" for the lack of a better word when they get angry or upset or embarrassed etc. It's hard to explain what I'm talking about, but all of you who've seen their fair share of anime probably know what I'm talking about, even things like Trigun and Trinity Blood, which I see as otherwise great shows, are almost ruined for me by their usually serious lead characters sometimes going completely batshit crazy and growing giant heads. This is why I much prefer some of the more serious films like Vampire Hunter D, which, as far as I know, doesn't resort to this. However, the main thing that often drives me away from anime, and many others I'm sure, is the fans. Those hardcore Otaku fangirls throwing up that ridiculous peace sign in every photo they're in, trying so hard to actually look like the overly-cutsey chibi-anime that I find so annoying in the first place, and it doesn't stop there. Thanks (at least in part) to the "mallet space" concept in anime (I know it's not endemic to anime, but it's definitely most used in it), with female characters suddenly pulling a mace or a rolling pin or some other heavy blunt instrument out of no where and clobbering the nearest hapless male, it appears to me that many female anime fans seem to have got it into their heads that "strong female character" means "raving misandrous (man-hating) psychopath". There's so much passive-aggressive barely-hidden violence in the majority of hard core fangirs, and I DO see this as a problem. These grievances aside, there are still things I like about anime, and some series that I quite enjoy, in spite of the things that annoy me.

Jezzascmezza

Aug 18, 2009
I can't say I hate it, but I've never really gotten into it, or indeed watched any episodes of any anime.

Syzygy23

Sep 20, 2010
No, not really.

I swear to God the north american localization companies use the same 12 voice actors for every effing english dub. AND NONE OF THEM CAN INFLECT.

I tried watching some with the original japanese voices. Dear Lord, those squeaky ass voices almost broke my eardrumss.

That and the violent seesawing between "seriousness" and "over the top goofy" animation styles just... ugh, it's embarrassing.

Not al of it is bad though, sometimes you get stuff people actual seem to give a shit about, like... Cowboy Bebop, Howls Moving Castle, Spirited away...

Ummm...

Wow, that is literally the only anime I've ever liked.

Criminy, Japan needs to up it's game. Out of every anime I've seen, only those listed 3 are capable of competing against almost everything made by Disney or Pixar.

Chancie

Sep 23, 2009
I like it, but it's not like I've watched tons of it either. I like some, but I can be kind of picky. Though, when it comes to ones like Naruto or Bleach or One Piece, I'll pass. The fans have driven me away from those ones, sadly. I'll just never have an interest in them. I prefer the lesser known ones.