Poll: How many on the Escapist dislike anime?

Thaius

Mar 5, 2008
JoesshittyOs said:
Thaius said:
The thing that helped me into anime is Avatar: The Last Airbender. It's not anime; it's western animation all the way. But the animation is inspired by Japanese animation and the show is just plain good. It's a children's show that has some of the best characterization, world development, and storytelling prowess of any show I've ever seen, and simply manages to be kid-friendly throughout. A truly incredible show.
I just watched through that show and finished it a few days ago and I was literally depressed for a few days. Not because it was bad, but because it had ended.

I'm anxiously awaiting the new one coming out next year. I need it to fill out more of the story of Aang.

I have never had a bigger crush on a fictional character than I did on Katara.
Understandable; she is pretty awesome. My only bigger fictional crush was Nagisa after I watched Clannad. That show... holy crap, that show takes its time to get a nice, firm grip on your heart before brutally ripping it to shreds, then painfully sewing it back together.

And yeah, Avatar was so great. Just so, so good.

T-Bone24

Dec 29, 2008
Never really got into any anime series fully, but I enjoyed watching Fairy Tail subs on YouTube. I don't even know if it was good or bad, but it was ridiculous and fun with almost no restraint, something you don't see much of in Western Animation.

TransContinental

Oct 12, 2011
I dislike watching Anime, although that is in no way a statement on the quality of the medium. It is very much a cultural thing. While I think in the game-culture niche of places like the Escapist, there will be a more evenly split opinion, I think this is because of an overarching taste for the diverse and the unorthodox from many people here. Yet, if you do a sample poll of the larger population in, say, the USA, I wouldn't be surprised to find a majority who dislike or even have no idea what Anime is.

XJ-0461

Mar 9, 2009
I don't really like it or dislike it, as it's something I've never really looked into. The closest I've got to seeing a full anime is a couple of episodes of Pokemon, Digimon and Yu-gi-oh I saw as a kid and, more recently, the first episode of Cowboy Bebop.

Munchu

Jun 4, 2011
Like some, dislike some. Dismissing all of it (or saying you like all of it, for that matter), would be like doing the same for ALL western animation, ALL live-action shows, ALL movies, etc, and is just silly.

Gothproxy

Mar 20, 2009
Ghaleon640 said:
Gothproxy said:
I watch quite a bit of anime and am even president of my college's anime club (which actually does more than just watch anime, believe it or not). I enjoy most of it but tend to go for the edgier, darker themed anime rather than the DBZ or Pokemon styled ones.

But it was actually Video Games that turned me on to anime. Games such as Star Ocean and Final Fantasy paved the way for me to discover Japanese pop culture, etc, and the rest is history.
I know, off topic, but I'm pres of a college anime club too, though we are small and just watch anime. What else do you do in your club?
We started having panels and discussions on various Japanese Pop culture topics. Stuff like Cosplay 101, Japanese video games, fashion, making AMVs, that kind of thing. Also we do bake sales (think sugar cookies shaped like pokeballs) and group outings. Not a whole lot yet, but come spring we are hoping to host a maid cafe. Should be fun. :)

Lewieroo0

Feb 2, 2009
Thaius said:
Lewieroo0 said:
Thaius said:
jack the werewolf said:
i dont really know what it is

Then I moved on to shows like Cowboy Bebop and Death Note, and from there on to the heartbreaking roller coaster Clannad, the under-appreciated fantasy classic Orphen, the insane WTF-fest of Fooly Cooly... it's good stuff.
Your the first person I've seen on here that has acknowledged Orphen as an underrated classic :)
Well it is! The first season, at least, was just so good. I wish more people had seen it, but the only person I know who has is the guy who introduced me to it. Sigh...
lol, i know the feeling :p the first season was really enjoyable and i find it to be a neat little fantasy series. I haven't seen all of the 2nd season yet though, but from what i've seen so far it's defiantly a step down in comparison -.-

Thaius

Mar 5, 2008
Lewieroo0 said:
Thaius said:
Lewieroo0 said:
Thaius said:
jack the werewolf said:
i dont really know what it is

Then I moved on to shows like Cowboy Bebop and Death Note, and from there on to the heartbreaking roller coaster Clannad, the under-appreciated fantasy classic Orphen, the insane WTF-fest of Fooly Cooly... it's good stuff.
Your the first person I've seen on here that has acknowledged Orphen as an underrated classic :)
Well it is! The first season, at least, was just so good. I wish more people had seen it, but the only person I know who has is the guy who introduced me to it. Sigh...
lol, i know the feeling :p the first season was really enjoyable and i find it to be a neat little fantasy series. I haven't seen all of the 2nd season yet though, but from what i've seen so far it's defiantly a step down in comparison -.-
It does get better. The entire first half is ridiculous comedy with virtually no actual meaning or drama, but about halfway through it gets good again. Quite good, actually. But all in all, I did enjoy season 1 more, but it is certainly worth continuing on the second.

AdumbroDeus

Feb 26, 2010
You really needed a third option, "don't really care".

Like anything else, 90% of anime is crap, and the vast majority of themes covered in anime are done just as well or better in western media, the massive amount of attention mediocore or even good (but not great) anime gets removes focus from other worthy foreign projects..

At the same time, the gems are definately worth looking for.

AD-Stu

Oct 13, 2011
While I haven't watched anywhere near as much anime as others on here obviously have, what I have seen has ranged from awesome to awful - much like games, music or western media. As an entire genre I'm largely indifferent to it and I wouldn't say I like or dislike it: instead, I'm just happy to watch the good stuff and ignore the bad.