Poll: How many people on here suffer from mental health issues?

TheLastFeeder

Oct 29, 2012
Private Custard said:
Oddly enough, I'm still pretty good at interviews, it's just disheartening not getting anything. Never thought I'd be in a position where I felt this useless though.

I've been depressed for so long, I've forgotten what it was like before. The anxiety came as a bit of a shock though. I never realised just how hard a mental issue could manifest itself physically.

Just gotta keep ploughing on regardless. If I don't, I'll be a total wreck :/

Captcha: roll again. I wish I could, really I do!

"Numb"->"Bad"->"Anxious"

Thats how I discripe my moods.

There are days, very rare days where I feel "normal", once every several years apart. But they don't really make it any better.
They just make me that much worse when I return to my normal.

Personally I try to stay in the now. If I start thinking about the past it just makes it worse and overthinking the future somehow doesn't help. You just have to pull though 1 day at a time.

Captcha: good work. I thing it is just taunting me at this point.

Mezahmay

Dec 11, 2013
TheLastFeeder said:
There are days, very rare days where I feel "normal", once every several years apart. But they don't really make it any better.
I know exactly what you mean about those fleeting "normal" days. I had one two years ago where the tightness in my chest vanished, I didn't feel like I was thinking in a fog, and I actually wanted to walk around smiling and talk to people. Good times...

Harpalyce

Social Justice Cleric
Mar 1, 2012
Severe depression and generalized anxiety disorder, reporting for duty and ready to be paralyzed by a feeling of impending doom and then be real sad about it. /salutes

And yes, much like a purebred horse, I have all my papers in order to show I come by these things as legitimately recognized by professional institutions. Doesn't make them suck any less, mind you, but it does at least probably get to count as part of why I'm disabled while I apply for disability. [ wheezy party blower noise here ]

Eddie the head

Feb 22, 2012
I think I might have a mild forum of dyslexia but that's just conjecture. For the purpose of this this question I'm going with a no.

lowtech redneck

Sep 19, 2014
I have severe OCD ( which manifested looong before puberty), as well as ADD and Aspergers.

Interestingly, one of my childhood OCD symptoms was (more or less) covered in The Scary Thread:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3iZBH2rEops

There are a few obsession/compulsions that have shown to be common among OCD sufferers, but I never would have guessed that a Bloody Mary and mirrors obsession was common enough to produce something resembling a creepypasta-must have become a thing after the original studies and testimonials were conducted.

Ironbat92

Nov 19, 2009
I suffer from 2
ADD ever since I was born - I've always had a hard time concentrating and keeping my interesting on one thing before giving up and going to something else, even if I take medication.

More recent (for a few years now), I've suffered from Mild Depression. It got so bad, I checked myself into the hospital for a week. I'm no longer suicidal and I'm currently taking Anti-Depression pill every morning.

L. Declis

Apr 19, 2012
I got the Depression diagnosis thrown onto me during uni and told to come back next September.

It's pretty shitty, I feel like I have to spend my time watching out for falling back into those habits. It's a bit worse now because I live abroad and my fiance lives abroad from me, so I have few friends, no family and no lover to keep on eye on me.

However, I am attending (most) of my classes and finding work, but there have been days where I can barely get out of bed unless I have to get food, and motivation can be fleeting.

It doesn't help that I am also sad as well as depressed, so they tend to feed into each other sometimes and it takes a lot of work from my fiance to break me out of that cycle. She has been wonderful and I'm lucky to have her.

Emanuele Ciriachi

Jun 6, 2013
Social anxiety, very mild bipolar disorder (I think), none of which affect my coding or gaming skills thank God. But most of all I'm crazy enough to have decided to have my own family and children, and I'm loving it! Yes, the last one means I definitely must have issues...

A.K.B.

Feb 27, 2014
Survivor guilt due to the loss of a close friend of my mine whom I really looked up to...
and the death and destruction of half of my hometown.
there are no psychiatrists where I live now, though. And I have to trudge my way through two years of collage now whilst keep lying to myself that I'm alright....

JagermanXcell

Oct 1, 2012
I did have a minor form of social anxiety back in Jr High, to a point where my mom even considered medication. But it eventually came down to laming it out, and becoming the social butterfly I am now. Except for the part where I still take 30min mid conversation trying desperately to find the rights words from the fear of sounding dumb in front of new peeps... that's still going strong.

So other than hyperventilating from my fear of heights and roller coasters, i'm the picture of a healthy mind!

Although having a girlfriend with major social anxiety does bring back some horrible memories.
Do they effect me negatively now that i'm basically living the cured life? No.
But is it sad to see someone you love feel similar anxiety attacks back when you were once a wee lad?... Oh man, you bet your ass it's disheartening!

K-lusive

May 15, 2014
CrystalViolet said:
Wow, 2/3 of respondents claim to currently suffer with mental health issues. I wonder is it just that this forum attracts people with these issues or is it that a lot of gamers have issues.
It helps that people with mental illnesses usually have some form of social anxiety or difficulty, and typing text on a forum is easier than having a real-life conversation.
You don't have to keep track of everyone's bodylanguage, tone of voice and stuff and you can easily pause in the middle of a sentence to think about what you want to say and how. Obviously, you can't do so in a real-life conversation without seeming at least a little odd

small

Aug 5, 2014
well i havent left the house for around 5 years so i guess that counts, thanks to the net i can do most things i need to online these days.

other than that they diagnosed me with bipolar at one point with hallucination and psychotic behaviour but it turned out to be a side effect of having temporal lobe epilepsy and when i have absent seizures.. a few days afterwards i tend to wig out

Aleenik

Oct 13, 2014
I have been suffering from anxiety of multiple sorts for most of my life, but it started to get really bad at about age 16 and hasn't let up. It is mostly extreme health anxiety now, with social anxiety mixed in, but in the past I used to have very irrational fears that made me think I was schizophrenic. I don't really want to get into it, not because this is a public forum full of people I don't know, but because dwelling on it just makes my anxiety much, much worse. I also suffer from depression due to the state of my life, but anxiety is far and away my main mental health problem as it affects me the most by far.