Poll: How much do you care about the aesthetic of a band/music?

Ironic Pirate

May 21, 2009
Yesterday, while talking with a friend, I discovered that he actually didn't like his favorite band (A7x, not that it matters), he just wore their shirts and bought their CDs because he liked their "look".

That stunned me. I mean, it's a nice bonus if a band has a cool aesthetic, but the only reason for liking them?

What do you think of this, Escapists? Is he a true fan? And how much do you care about a band's aesthetic?

Disclaimer: I like Avenged Sevenfold, I'm not suggesting anything about them. Also, this was typed on an iPod, and my eyes are starting to cross from using it's widdle key board, so please excuse any errors until tommorow. Thumbs crossed the poll works...

flangleelgnalf

Jul 3, 2010
lol i listen to despised icon, ergo i dont care at all.
just look at what they are wearing/doing in this music video... yeesh
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iEM9W14TsWQ

Sven und EIN HUND

Sep 23, 2009
The music is obviously what is majorly important, but I have to say that the image is quite an added bonus. Take Primus for example, their crazily strange and virtuosic music goes together with their equally as insane image perfectly. On the other hand, take Radiohead. Their get up is practically normal during live performances, yet their music is anything but.

the Dept of Science

Nov 9, 2009
Their music is what, in the end of the day, I will be judging them on. A good image is a nice bonus.

Bob Dylan would still be the writer of Highway 61 Revisited if he decided to wear nothing but pink for his whole career.

Nouw

Mar 18, 2009
I used to care because some metal bands had long hair. I still care for some but with good reason.

But most artists/band I know are good looking.

CarpathianMuffin

Space. Lance.
Jun 7, 2010
I don't really care the least about a band's image. If I like their look, great. If I don't, oh well, they have good music so it doesn't matter.

Lyx

Sep 19, 2010
Even though i'm usually all for fusioning aspects instead of treating them as isolated things, i really dislike doing it in this case, because:

When i listen to some music, i ONLY think about the music, not about the bandmembers. However, besides of that i may like the ideas/attitude/look/whatever of a band - but the later is more about the people, while the former is only about... well, the music. For example, i do have some songs of bands, which's members i consider idiots.... yet, i still like their music.

So, in this case its more like two seperate rating for me, instead of a combined one.

bobman500

Dec 5, 2007
Looks to me are totally unimportant with music. Have you looked at The Beatles? They dressed messily, looked like confused schoolboys, and have you ever really looked at Ringo? The guy is hideous!

KingGolem

Jun 16, 2009
Who gives a crap about what a band looks like? I like bands who make good music, not ones that make me look cool. People aren't "cool" because of what music they listen to.