Poll: How much do you tip ?

mcswift

Jul 27, 2008
Apologizing in advance for the rant, I really need to get this one off my chest.

I get so many people who leave 5 dollars no matter what the bill was. Working in the service industry for 8 years, it really drives my crazy when I go out with friends or anyone else and they don't tip.

The worst of all is if people are paying separate checks and the first person leaves cash and a tip on the table and the second person pockets the tip when they pay their bill and screw you over.

I don't care if there is a downturn in the economy, don't order 3 appetizers, pop, booze and dessert for your fat children and then tell me you can't afford to tip me 15%. That is the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard. I bust my ass so that I can put food on my own table and people still have the gall to complain about things being slow.

Most of us are putting ourselves through school on those tips. If we give you crappy service, leave us a crappy tip. It is those jerks who expect free stuff who become time-sucks when you work in a restaurant. They complain everywhere they go so they can get free stuff and then they still screw you over.

If I go out and the server has enough brain capacity to keep my drink full, he or she will get 25% from me, whether I'm broke or not. If I don't have the cash, I don't go out. Even if there's something wrong with the food and for whatever reason, something on the bill gets comped (or if I have a gift certificate), I still leave the 25% tip on the total BEFORE the discount...like you're supposed to.

In the extremely rare case that the server is completely useless, I will still make sure that the kitchen staff get their tip out so the server doesn't lose money off my table.

I understand that people who are not from North America have different standards for tipping (or not) but when you come here, please respect the custom. When I go to Australia, I won't gripe that my gratuity is tacked on already and the bartender is getting paid more than minimum wage.

Gitsnik

May 13, 2008
mcswift said:
When I go to Australia, I won't gripe that my gratuity is tacked on already and the bartender is getting paid more than minimum wage.
Neither will we who live here ;) Most bartenders don't get "tips".

I have to question though, coming from the "mr pink" side of the fence - why are you using the tips to put you through school? Where does the rest of your money go. I get that they are shit wages, but let's face it everyone has made shit wages at one point or another. A cabbie friend of mine in California made $20 last night for an 18 hour shift - but he doesn't complain (much) and he certainly doesn't get tips from his fares who throw up in his car, fart, smoke, screech or otherwise fuck around while he drives them - what makes the food service industry so special? And why can't you manage your money like the rest of us?

Eri

The Light of Dawn
Feb 21, 2009
People seem to not realize, In America anyway, that if tips do not at least amount to the minimum federal wage, their employer is REQUIRED to make up the difference. So regardless of bad tips, they will at LEAST make the minimum. And even 1-2 tips period would push them over the minimum easily as a waiter, and just a couple as a bartender.

mcswift

Jul 27, 2008
Gitsnik said:
mcswift said:
When I go to Australia, I won't gripe that my gratuity is tacked on already and the bartender is getting paid more than minimum wage.

...And why can't you manage your money like the rest of us?
I don't know if you've ever been to Vancouver up here in Canada, but the cost of living here is ridiculous. Not much of my money manages to go to anything other than living expenses...I don't drive, I don't eat out because I'm working that damn minimum wage job when I'm not at school.

You can only rub pennies together so hard. And as far as the ad hominem attacks go, I was t-boned a couple of years ago and my back is entirely wrecked, so I can't get the trades jobs that most of my friends in school can over the summer, serving is basically all I can do that makes a decent amount (as long as people aren't cheap).

Jerk.

JamminOz07

Nov 19, 2008
I'm in Oz, and we don't generally tip unless we get above average service... but I think our minimum wage is a lot better than in the US.

That said, if I had a job where I relied on tips to bump up my pay, then I'd be looking around for a better job!

vxicepickxv

Slayer of Bothan Spies
Sep 28, 2008
Normally it's around 20%, sometimes it's more, sometimes it's not at all. I had to get used to tipping when I got back to the states. Two years of not tipping, because it's an insult, will do that to some people.

Gitsnik

May 13, 2008
mcswift said:
Gitsnik said:
mcswift said:

...And why can't you manage your money like the rest of us?
I don't know if you've ever been to Vancouver up here in Canada, but the cost of living here is ridiculous. Not much of my money manages to go to anything other than living expenses...I don't drive, I don't eat out because I'm working that damn minimum wage job when I'm not at school.

You can only rub pennies together so hard. And as far as the ad hominem attacks go, I was t-boned a couple of years ago and my back is entirely wrecked, so I can't get the trades jobs that most of my friends in school can over the summer, serving is basically all I can do that makes a decent amount (as long as people aren't cheap).

Jerk.
Ease up there a bit - we all have different issues. Me, I spend every day in massive pain from a whiplash that no chiropractor or rehabilitation person can heal and a permanent state of sickness due to intestinal problems from my own 200km/h car accident (that I wasn't driving in by the way). And you know what, I didn't stay in my shit kicker job - which actually ended in me raking leaves because I couldn't lift the boxes properly, I made something of myself - I went to school (Edit: For one year), I got a certificate IV (i.e. a qualification - nothing special, just a basic qualification) and went and found a shit kicking job where I sat at a desk all day.

The point is, and my justification for not tipping stems from this, if I can be the lazy son of a ***** I am (and let's face it, I've been known to not eat because the food was a couple of feet too far from the couch and I couldn't be bothered getting up to make something) and still make something of myself from the god awful job I was in, why can't anyone else?

Funnily enough, I didn't complain about my job either, I just went out and worked on fixing it - and now, a couple of years later, I'm the one making the money I make while my friend (who suffered the same fate as me) still sits at home sulking to himself and not bothering to do something about it.

So yes, I'm a jerk and I know it, but it's for a good reason - we need waiters and waitress' to be sure, but I don't see why I should pay taxes (which go into Dole money for bludgers anyway) as well as drop my small change (which would otherwise go into my laundry bill - because I don't usually operate much with cash) just because they won't do what I struggled so hard to do. I keep hearing the same tired old arguments "I can't get a decent job" "I can't understand this stuff" or "I hurt my back" and never see people try. You, at least, are in school and starting to make something of yourself - but I don't see why I should help fund your education either, I don't know you (assuming we were in the same country), I don't care about you (this goes for pretty much every member of the human race) and I already pay my taxes - why, then, should I give you more money for doing your job? I don't get bonus' for that.

goin-mad

Oct 24, 2008
I bounce from 15 to 35% depending on the service, sometimes it's lower and if it's been really bad then I don't tip at all. I believe that wait staff live by the customer. Don't look out for them and they won't bother with you.

Having worked as a pizza delivery guy I know what I'm talking about.

Lost Leader

Mar 30, 2008
15-20% Unless its exceptional service, in which case I will tip more. Many people don't realize that people in the service industry rely on their tips to make their living, not their hourly wages. If you don't tip them, they basically worked for you for free. When you go out you should consider the price of the gratuity as part of the meal, and your server is your responsibility to pay for their time.

Anyone too cheap to tip at a full service establishment should change their venue to Fast Food or something similar.

Archaeology Hat

Nov 6, 2007
10% for wait staff, flat 10% unless they actually did something really worth more.

Bar-staff... I don't tip, most of my favourite bars have a "do not tip our staff, service is included" sign.

tgun

Nov 10, 2008
10% If everything just goes averagely.
Less if the waiters are constantly ditching me / unwilling to come over when called / don't attempt to keep drinks at my table full / attempt to take food/drinks when we're EATING/DRINKING at that moment. Honestly, if you see me eating, the last thing I want to hear is "is everything okay? want more drinks/etc?"
Contrastly, i've tipped up to 50% for spectacular service. Needless to say, food was amazing, service was exquisite and they deal with everything with a cheery tune and a smile on their face.

Altorin

Jack of No Trades
May 16, 2008
theeconomy said:
Depends on the ability of the worker.
yeah, I start at 10%, and work up or down depending on the server. If I have fun while eating, and the server is helpful and friendly, and helps make the meal more enjoyable, I sometimes go upwards of 20%..

If I don't have a good time, the server isn't helpful or friendly, and if I have to call on them more then a couple times, then they'll probably not get a tip.. On average though I tip about 10-15%.