Poll: How much do you tip ?

runtheplacered

Oct 31, 2007
marfoir(IRL) said:
The minimum wage here is good enough to live on. I don't see why I should pay the server more when they are already getting a paycheck, anyway, why should they get the money and not the cook?
Besides it's not really expected here and I hope it never will be.
It's like you got out of bed, sat straight up, put your blinders on, typed that on your keyboard without a single thought, and went back to bed until the next time you need to write something without reading a single other thing. We're talking about people who are paid less then half of minimum wage, BECAUSE they are living off of the tips. The cook is getting a salary, or at least a decent wage. Alright then, welcome to the conversation.

slackbheep

Sep 10, 2008
I generally tip around 20% (35% for your mother), Bad service lessens your tip in most cases which is sad as the kitchen could be getting a cut of that :p
That said, there's lots of other modifiers to that baseline. Cabs usually get more, and so would anyone I expect to repeatedly receive service from (Like mothers.).

runtheplacered

Oct 31, 2007
ultimatechance said:
Im like Steve Buscemi from Reservoir Dogs. I think it is complete BS that I have to tip someone for doing their job. If i feel they put in the extra effort, or if i was troubling them in a sort of way, then yeah, Ill throw in a couple more bucks. But i just dont see why certain jobs will receive tips, while a job just as helpful (like an assistant at best buy) cant get a tip.
How many times must the same things be said? I bet if I made a graph of the number of people that are stingy tippers on the X-axis and the number of people who refuse to read anything on the Y-axis, the correlation would be dead on. I don't even feel like telling you the answer. It's like bashing my fist into a telephone poll over and over again. Eventually I have to realize I'm not getting through it.

Also congratulations on being the millionth person to bring up Reservoir Dogs during a conversation about tipping. That's original. I actually used to agree with that same thought when I was 13 and completely ignorant of how things worked.

ultimatechance

Dec 24, 2008
runtheplacered said:
ultimatechance said:
Im like Steve Buscemi from Reservoir Dogs. I think it is complete BS that I have to tip someone for doing their job. If i feel they put in the extra effort, or if i was troubling them in a sort of way, then yeah, Ill throw in a couple more bucks. But i just dont see why certain jobs will receive tips, while a job just as helpful (like an assistant at best buy) cant get a tip.
How many times must the same things be said? I bet if I made a graph of the number of people that are stingy tippers on the X-axis and the number of people who refuse to read anything on the Y-axis, the correlation would be dead on. I don't even feel like telling you the answer. It's like bashing my fist into a telephone poll over and over again. Eventually I have to realize I'm not getting through it.

Also congratulations on being the millionth person to bring up Reservoir Dogs during a conversation about tipping. That's original. I actually used to agree with that same thought when I was 13 and completely ignorant of how things worked.
i read the OP, and then i respond. Sorry i didnt read through the past 4 pages to see if a Reservoir Dogs reference was original or not. It summed up what i had to say in a nutshell, and so what if it also sums it up for other people? Dont have to complain about it.

marfoir(IRL)

Jan 11, 2008
runtheplacered said:
marfoir(IRL) said:
The minimum wage here is good enough to live on. I don't see why I should pay the server more when they are already getting a paycheck, anyway, why should they get the money and not the cook?
It's like you got out of bed, sat straight up, put your blinders on, typed that on your keyboard without a single thought, and went back to bed until the next time you need to write something without reading a single other thing. We're talking about people who are paid less then half of minimum wage, BECAUSE they are living off of the tips. The cook is getting a salary, or at least a decent wage. Alright then, welcome to the conversation.
Ok, I will hold my hand up and admit it, I didn't put much thought into that paragraph. Allow me to to start again.

I live in Ireland, in this country there is no tradition of tipping.
We have the second highest minimum wage in the EU, just behind Luxembourg(could have changed by now).
If I recall correctly the biggest possible reduction to minimum wage is 30% for workers under 18.
Finally my personal reasoning, they are already getting paid for doing their job why should I pay them again.

This may be different where you live but here I see no reason to pay people when I am not their employer.

runtheplacered

Oct 31, 2007
ultimatechance said:
runtheplacered said:
ultimatechance said:

i read the OP, and then i respond. Sorry i didnt read through the past 4 pages to see if a Reservoir Dogs reference was original or not. It summed up what i had to say in a nutshell, and so what if it also sums it up for other people? Dont have to complain about it.
How about the complaint that can be made that you obviously haven't put an ounce of thought into what you said? You don't have to read through 4 pages of anything. Just use your common sense. If you dislike tipping, the cost of your food and drinks are going to go up, substantially. Would you rather control, to at least some degree, the price that you're paying? Or have absolutely no control? When you go out to eat, particularly at nice restaurants, you're not just paying for the food. If you were just paying for the food, you'd walk in, buy your food, grab it yourself, eat it and walk out. You're also paying for the service of being able to just sit on your ass while everybody does everything else for you. That's two separate entities. Food and service.

I guess you'd rather just pay one large bill that you don't get to haggle over, then decide for yourself what you think the service is worth. That doesn't sound like good common sense to me, and that leads me back to my first sentence.

runtheplacered

Oct 31, 2007
marfoir(IRL) said:
runtheplacered said:
marfoir(IRL) said:
Ok, I will hold my hand up and admit it, I didn't put much thought into that paragraph. Allow me to to start again.

I live in Ireland, in this country there is no tradition of tipping.
We have the second highest minimum wage in the EU, just behind Luxembourg(could have changed by now).
If I recall correctly the biggest possible reduction to minimum wage is 30% for workers under 18.
Finally my personal reasoning, they are already getting paid for doing their job why should I pay them again.

This may be different where you live but here I see no reason to pay people when I am not their employer.
I'm pretty sure this conversation wouldn't be of much relevance to you then. Here, in the States, a waiter will make about $2 and some odd cents an hour. Usually that entire sum goes straight to their taxes. Their tips are generally all they bring home. That is their income.

ace_of_something

Sep 19, 2008
about 15% rounding up to the nearest dollar. If they're exceptional I will leave a 20% (unless the meal makes that very expensive). If they suck they get in the 5%-10% range.

Once I was so angry the waitress commented on my date's hair rudely (it was pink). I only left $1 tip in nickles and such on the floor around the table.

sims629

Mar 21, 2009
I usually tip 15 to 20 % pluss whatever it takes to make the total to a nice round number

ultimatechance

Dec 24, 2008
runtheplacered said:
ultimatechance said:
runtheplacered said:
ultimatechance said:

How about the complaint that can be made that you obviously haven't put an ounce of thought into what you said? You don't have to read through 4 pages of anything. Just use your common sense. If you dislike tipping, the cost of your food and drinks are going to go up, substantially. Would you rather control, to at least some degree, the price that you're paying? Or have absolutely no control? When you go out to eat, particularly at nice restaurants, you're not just paying for the food. If you were just paying for the food, you'd walk in, buy your food, grab it yourself, eat it and walk out. You're also paying for the service of being able to just sit on your ass while everybody does everything else for you. That's two separate entities. Food and service.

I guess you'd rather just pay one large bill that you don't get to haggle over, then decide for yourself what you think the service is worth. That doesn't sound like good common sense to me, and that leads me back to my first sentence.
el oh el. i did give my thoughts though. I didnt write a long and detailed response to it, but i did put thought into my response. I stated that I dont think it should be mandatory for certain jobs, and that I should decide when they deserve it. Had I said "Im like Steve Buschemi" and left it like that, then your argument that i put little thought would make sense.

Also, you were complaining about how unoriginal i was for making a reference that was apparantly made a "million" times. That is what i referred to when i talked about not reading the past 4 pages.