Poll: How much money have you spent on DLC last generation ?

Nazulu

They will not take our Fluids
Jun 5, 2008
The dragon riding one for Skyrim and the Lamb of the Wrath for The Binding of Isaac, If you include those as DLC, so about $22, I think. And sadly, I consider both of those mistakes.

Oh yeah, and I bought some extra tabs from Path Of Exile cause I wanted to support them.

I'm not against DLC. Just the shitty business practices behind some of them.

Bara_no_Hime

Sep 15, 2010
Zhukov said:
$200-$300

At a guess. It's not as if I kept a tally.

I have zero problems with the practise of DLC. Even if you take the worst case, industry destroying, kitten kicking, doomsday scenario, a day-one, on-disc DLC that was deliberately subtracted from the game in order to squeeze out some extra bucks and significantly lessens the value of the whole by its absence, then, well... that's effectively just a price increase. And increasing the price of a product is not a crime against humanity.
This.

Although, to be fair, I only spent about 50-100 on "traditional" DLC as Zhukov describes it.

As for the rest... I own a LOT of Rockband songs. No regrets either - I made it through some of the challenge modes in Rock Band 3 based entirely on playing downloaded songs I knew really well.

WindKnight

Quiet, Odd Sort.
Legacy
Jul 8, 2009
Cephiro
Country
United Kingdom
Never kept a tally as a rule, so no Idea... all I can say is I never buy dlc on release - I always wait for a sale, so get it half price at the very least

Avery

May 5, 2012
I only ever buy DLC if I really like a game. Still, I've spent quite a bit. I have all the DLC for every Mass Effect game, all DLC for Skyrim, the DLC for Deus Ex: Human Revolution and most DLC for Saints Row: The Third and IV. I've probably spent hundreds.

prpshrt

Jun 18, 2012
Do dota 2 magic electronic books (compendiums) count? If so, probably a little less than 20. If not, zero.

Kinitawowi

Nov 21, 2012
Guitar Hero announced in March that they were pulling all the DLC off the store at the end of the month.

Then this happened.

About £330 worth of points all told, although Amazon were selling £50 codes for £42 so I got the lot for about £270. Add on previous DLC obtained for cheap points from the Expertzone, and I'm comfortably over £300.

babinro

Sep 24, 2010
$20 - $50

I've only ever bought DLC for Dragon Age Origins and Rock Band.
Rock Band DLC makes up the bulk of my spending.

Looking back...the Rock Band DLC was, is, and continues to be totally worth it. I got so much value out of those purchases even though the cost of the DLC was much more than I deemed acceptable.

I learned my DLC lesson early on last console generation. If a game is coming out with DLC that interests me then I will NOT buy that game until the game of the year version comes out. By then the hype of the game has died off and I'm usually happy to wait for a significant discount. It sucks for the game dev revenue but that's just way it is.

kasperbbs

Dec 27, 2009
100$, perhaps more. All of it went for mass effect 1/2/3, dragon age origins, fallout 3 and skyrim DLC's. These are the only games that i really liked and couldn't wait for game of the year editions and it was worth it, most of the time.

Tassit

May 16, 2013
Oh, geeze, if we're talking a whole console generation? Since I own both an Xbox360 and a PS3 I would say easily $1300+.

DirgeNovak

I'm anticipating DmC. Flame me.
Jul 23, 2008
Let's see... Eight Fallout DLCs at $10 a pop, both Skyrim DLCs at half price, ME2: Arrival, All three ME3 story DLCs, Amgarrak and Witch Hunt on DA:O, both DA2 DLCs. If I remember the prices right, that makes... 80+20+10+30+20+20=$180 on story DLC. Add maybe $20 on inconsequential stuff like costumes and stuff, and we get to a nice plump $200. Not too bad.

jpoon

Mar 26, 2009
I've spent next to nothing because they're typically a ripoff. I'd say more than a dollar and less than $20 thankfully. Don't want to be part of the problem if I can help it...

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
To honestly keep track, the only DLC I ever bought were the expansion packs for the Fallout and Elder Scrolls games, so basically the classic style of DLC. However, I did buy all the Halo 3 map packs, but I got them on sale. Really if adding everything together, over the last 7 years it's probably been about $200, which I don't mind.

DLC nowadays is seen as bad because some bad apples have given it a bad name, but there was plenty of DLC from the last generation that was worth the price. Really at the end of the day, if it was my decision to buy certain DLC, and if it was bad then I'll just have to live with my decision.

Vausch

Dec 7, 2009
Does buying the GOTY edition count? Cuz I did buy a lot of DLC on the steam sale when hundreds of dollars worth became less than 5.

camazotz

Jul 23, 2009
Definitely more than $300. I've spent $300 just going by Bethesda and Bioware games DLC. I have bought a lot of DLC for games like Saint's Row on huge Steam sales, though....so I might have spent $25 on the entirety of my Saints Row III game+all DLC thanks to sales, for example.

Malbourne

Ari!
Sep 4, 2013
A majority of the money I spent on add-ons were campaign extensions, like the Asian civilizations for Age of Empires III. After that I don't think I've spent much money on small things and not regretted it, like a mission for SR3. Some of the Borderlands 2 DLC was worth it, though, so I usually research DLC to see if as much effort was put in on average as went into the core game.

Kyr Knightbane

Jan 3, 2012
$0

Fuck DLC.

Honestly,I get wanting to add content to your game, however, when it comes at the price of virtually shoving a glowing middle finger into your audiences faces saying "Oooooh! Come look at all the cool NEW, BETTER, stuff you can get by spending more money on a game you already dropped 40-60 bucks on"

Free DLC is a different story. Adding things to games for no charge doesn't bother me. Unless it was cut from the main game, like 99% of DLC nowadays.

I was going to buy the Dark Souls 2 DLC, but honestly, I didn't buy it for the first one, it came in a Complete version with it already included. I normally wait until that happens. I rarely buy games when they launch unless I can count on the main game being a big enough time sink for my money.

I'll wait years to play a game because being nickel and dimed to death over "extra, better" stuff is just stupid to me.

I know it helps developers and it's good for the economy, but I can't be arsed to buy DLC.

Also, if you're a developer that cuts things from the main game to later slap on as DLC, you should all die in a fire. That's wrong, and doesn't help gamers or gaming in general.

EHKOS

Madness to my Methods
Feb 28, 2010
Not much, but more than I had thought. I bought Blood Dragon, Minerva's Den, and the pirate DLC from Borderlands 2. That's about thirty. I'm going to end up with at least one DLC from Dark Souls II, not really feeling the Sunken King, but the other two look more interesting. Also bought Point Lookout for PS3, all other Fallout DLC came with the games I bought. I would have bought the Skyrim Dragonborn DLC, but the computer I was playing it on died and my replacement couldn't run it. So I would like the Legendary edition for PS3, but I'm also worried how badly that's going to stutter by mid-game.

So about $40, unless you count full PS store games. I put a shit ton of research before buying full games, let alone DLC. It has to be at least four hours long, with new areas and hopefully new characters/lore/weapons. Basically the good expansion pack type stuff.

EDIT: Oh yeah, almost forgot, bought the Metal Gear Rising DLC too, partially because Jetstream Sam, and partially because of the hype Matt and Pat put on it.

TheYellowCellPhone

Sep 26, 2009
I'm trying to think of DLCs I bought seperate... A lot of games I have complete editions for: Tomb Raider, Borderlands 1 & 2, Metro Last Light, Crysis 2, and Fallout 3.

Killing Floor: Us vs Them Weapon Pack 1, Bioshock: Infinite Season Pass, several Payday 2 packs, Saints Row: The Third Season Pass, and Battlefield 4 Premium. That roughly $100-150, with $50 being from BF4 Premium alone.

The only one that was wholesomely worth it was Bioshock: Infinite because Burial at Sea kicked waaaaay too much ass. I've gotten a lot of mileage out of Battlefield 4 Premium, considering how much I play it. Some of the packs in Payday 2 are fine thought wholesomely unnecessary and a bit overpriced for the amount of content provided. Killing Floor's weapon packs are pretty much just shills for bleh sidegrades: a lot of the weapons are "fires 8% faster, but has 10% less damage per bullet" stats that change nothing. Saints Row: The Third DLC were either just adding in bullshit minigames or testing the waters for Saints Row 4, and I think it's better to save that $15 and put it toward getting Saints Row 4.

Launcelot111

Jan 19, 2012
Just gameplay stuff? I got the Binding of Isaac DLC, the Don't Starve DLC, and the Lego Marvel DLC all on sale for maybe $10 total.

If League of Legends skins count, I'd rather not do that math for my own peace of mind

ChristopherT

Sep 9, 2010
I don't know, less than 200 usd? I'm fine with DLC as a concept, I don't think there's anything wrong with making a little extra content for a game and selling it to the user. Day 1, day 0, announcing plans for DLC when the game is still months away from release, expensive DLC are all bullshit, but I don't find that the fault on DLC itself. I don't like Capcom DLC prices, I don't like having to pay for extra outfits, but sometimes I'll give in. And when this shit is on sale, and I price I'm happy with, I get it.

Because of sales I grabbed Street Fighter 4 dlc, Resident Evil Revelations Characters, Hot Shots Golf Out of Bounds courses, characters, and outfits, XCom Enemy Unknown, Walking Dead 400 days?, Some Little Big Planet characters, Mass Effect 2 and 3 stuff, Valkyria Chronicles levels, one or two Disgaea 4 characters, Lego Marvel characters, King of Fighters 13 characters, Final Fantasy 13-2 character/missions and 2 outfits, Batman Arkham Origins season pass, 5 dollars on Tekken Revolution, Some Young Justice game things, and maybe a few other things I can't remember. I don't think it's any higher than 100, but, haven't kept track, so, yeah, less than 200, I think.