Poll: How often do you watch Zero Punctuation these days? Granted it's past it's prime....

Basement Cat

Keeping the Peace is Relaxing
Jul 26, 2012
Like most Escapists--early ones from years ago--I came to this site because I had been introduced to Zero Punctuation and this was where you could see it.

Like many others I lurked on this site long before I joined it. In my case I lurked for two years before joining it in August 2012. By then ZP had been a site standard since 2007.

That was eight years ago.

This IS NOT a bash thread, folks. Most of us have enjoyed Zero Punctuation over the years.

I'm just curious whether others have either burned out on it or...as I personally have...found it wanting as Yahtzee Croshaw ran out of jokes over the course of the last decade.

On a personal note---speaking as a writer---I stand amazed that Yahtzee has managed to remain entertaining eight years and running.

Seriously.

You opinions, thoughts and observations? Yahtzee's past his prime after eight years, sure, but I still find it dependably entertaining.

Dependable.

Hrrmmm....never thought I'd call Zero Punctuation "dependable". ^_^

MeatMachine

Dr. Stan Gray
May 31, 2011
I still get a chuckle, but my interest has waned.

Also, your poll options are disorganized and unintuitive.

Oct 10, 2011
I pick option 4... And 5... And 6...

I came here for Miracle of Sound, stayed for the roleplaying. I saw a few episodes of ZP out of curiousity, but I didn't care for it.

Basement Cat

Keeping the Peace is Relaxing
Jul 26, 2012
MeatMachine said:
I still get a chuckle, but my interest has waned.

Also, your poll options are disorganized and unintuitive.

Sorry. I bow my head in shame. :(

seventy two

Mar 7, 2011
Basement Cat said:
Like many others I lurked on this site long before I joined it. In my case I lurked for two years before joining it in August 2012. By then ZP had been a site standard since 2007.

That was more than a decade ago.
Might need to check your math, 15 minus 7 is not greater than 10.

Anyways, I never came here for ZP, I found it after a while, and I enjoyed it then and still enjoy that now. As for the possible quality drop, I would associate that with most modern episodes being about newly released games that have limited mechanical variance or a less storied history to use in discussion.

s0denone

Apr 25, 2008
I came to the site to watch it, after initially discovering it on youtube, prior to Yahtzee being signed to The Escapist.
I think Zero Punctuation pretty much single handedly put The Escapist on the map.

I don't religiously follow it these days, and I haven't for years - but I still pop in, either here or on youtube, and watch some of the videos sometimes. I don't think its because Yahtzee has become less funny, it is simply because I'm not the target demographic so much, anymore.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
I still watched it as soon as it come out.

Sure it isn't as great as it used to be but I have seen worse shows that outstayed its welcome.

Evonisia

Your sinner, in secret
Jun 24, 2013
I watch them when they come out, though I don't tend to revisit newer episodes until a few months down the line. I usually binge that year when December's up coming to try and have a guess at the Top 5 of 20XX.

I usually watch the odd older episode every other day, especially if it's related to something I'm doing lately. I recently revisited the Dead Space review what with GoodBadFlicks' episode on Event Horizon and haven recently watched the four Alien films.

3000th post! Woo, I guess.

Sigmund Av Volsung

Hella noided
Dec 11, 2009
Every wednesday.

I still like it, but I feel that Yahtzee's current flavour of humour doesn't quite strike me as his earlier, drier stuff.

He's also going fairly soft, and now it seems a bit more annoying than before that he hasn't read up on games before reviewing them.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
I still watch it like clockwork.

I don't find it as funny as I used to. I started watching in 2009, when the latest episode was Scribblenauts. I archive binged and literally laughed until my belly hurt. Now I'm lucky to get a decent chuckle. I don't know whether that's due to Yahtzee running out of steam or me becoming inoculated to his brand of humour.

But hey, a free chuckle is still a net positive, so I stick around.

Odbarc

Elite Member
Jun 30, 2010
If you go back and listen to the original stuff, it seems very rough and he speaks kind of slowly when we seem to all recall his rapid pace as if he were speaking without punctuation.
There seems to be some story narrative in lieu of being just the same one note that sparked all our interests.

I wish there were still Unforgotten Realms episodes but I think the guy making them started doing something else.
Doraleous and Associates was also a big hit with me.

madwarper

Mar 17, 2011
I watch the new episodes every Wednesday as soon as I can.

I get less enjoyment out of his current shows than I did when I started watching them when he first came to the Escapist. I won't say it's because he's trying less, though I also won't rule it out, but I'd say it's more likely that I've gotten used to him. Just like the first time you eat a hot pepper, you get a big burn. But, if you eat a hot pepper week after week for years, you're going to build up a tolerance and it won't seem to be nearly as hot as it once was.

DanielBrown

Dangerzone!
Dec 3, 2010
If it's a game I know about I might watch it.
I don't know... It used to be somewhat funny, and it was the reason I came to this site to begin with, but the past few years it hasn't even given me a chuckle. I think for me it all started with the "Ooh, I'm gonna say the title wrong fifteen times in the same episode, in EVERY episode, because it's so hilarious!!!" that ruined it for me. I recall one episode where he suddenly stopped, and it gave me hope, but then he fucking started again.

It's really not funny and it never was.
Plz stahp.

Ninjafire72

Feb 27, 2011
I have a 1GB folder on my HDD filled with nothing but ZP episodes. Watch em every day. Sure the humor wears off, he's incredibly biased and sometimes hypocritical. But between his videos, extra punctuation articles and side-projects (All Hail Chzo and the Order of The Blessed Agonies) he actually does really solid work.

He's also the main critic I go to for advice on whether a game is good or not. Most people seem to disregard his videos as just entertainment, but he also gives very valid and critically thought out arguments for why and how a game fails / succeeds.

Or that may just be me. Because his personality, game design philosophy and city of residence are the same as mine, I find I can usually agree with the points he makes.

Darks63

Mar 8, 2010
I still watch although I usually miss a week or 2 and have o catch up. Half the issue is that most of the games he reviews I don't really have an interest in. If you add my own waning interest in gaming it equals a general apathy towards his show in general.

I found his lets drown outs to be more funny since his riffing and convos with his bud are more natural, relaxed, and entertaining

Guffe

Jul 12, 2009
Still watch it every week. Never was one to sit and wait 'till 19:00 refreshing the page to see it but always either Wednesay or at its latest on Friday I've seen the new episode.
Episodes have always varied in quality, still think he is entertaining though.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
I've always been more a fan of LRR, and Zero Punctuation wasn't really the imperative for me coming or signing up to the forum.

I did watch ZP weekly, regularly at noon on the site. Now it's like, "eh." I checked out his Arkham Knight episode, and I don't really feel like I'm missing anything.

ksn0va

Jun 9, 2008
I think the various kinds of Let's Plays recently have eclipsed my need to watch ZP. Back then he provided an opinion and a brand of humor that wasn't really offered by any other "reviewer". The jokes are the only thing left to watch ZP anymore but since that's waned over the years, there's nothing left really.