Poll: How Will You Be Re-Watching The Star Wars Movies?

KissingSunlight

Molotov Cocktails, Anyone?
Jul 3, 2013
We have to confront this subject sooner or later. We are less than 6 months away from Star Wars 7. Everybody around the world will be dusting off their copies of Star Wars movies and watching them again in anticipation of the new sequel. Yet, what is the best way of re-watching the series? In the order that the movies were released? From Episode 1 to Episode 6? Are you a purist that will deny that the prequels ever existed? Are there other ways that you are going to binge watch this classic Sci. Fi. movie series? We need to settle this once and for all!

kris40k

Feb 12, 2015
IV, V, I, II, III, VI

Decent write up here [http://www.nomachetejuggling.com/2011/11/11/the-star-wars-saga-suggested-viewing-order/], but it seems that the story flows more in that method.

Pseudonym

Legacy
Feb 26, 2014
Country
Nederland
No option for 'not'? Ah, never mind, you probably don't want me here hating on star wars. I'll leave this thread be. (well, after this comment)

Zontar

Mad Max 2019
Feb 18, 2013
Just the originals. Disney seems to be pretending that the Prequels never happened, so there's really no point to rewatching them. I will probably rewatch the RedLetterMedia reviews of them though.

The Madman

Dec 7, 2007
I heard about these neat 'de-specialized' versions of the original trilogy and do plan on watching those sometime, though I'm also hardly in any hurry.

Why would I ever want to re-watch the prequels though? Last time I saw either Clones Wars or that third one was walking out of the theater with a heavy hearth and a damaged belief in the goodness of mankind. I'm not so masochistic as to want to experience that a second time.

Neverhoodian

Apr 2, 2008
Well it certainly won't be all in one sitting, I can guarantee you that. No, it will be a gradual process over the next handful of months:

I'll start with Episode I (because screw all y'all, I like that movie), followed by the 2003 Clone Wars, the 2008 Clone Wars (or at least the episodes I like), Rebels, and top it all off with Episodes IV, V and VI (Despecialized Editions, of course) at the very end. Gotta save the best for last after all, and it has the added bonus of segwaying into The Force Awakens quite nicely. Episodes II and III will not be viewed. They are not part of "my" Star Wars canon (except the Jango Fett bits, I may cherry-pick some of those scenes).

Interspersed between all of it will be sessions playing games like Tie Fighter and Jedi Outcast, as well as readings of books like the X-Wing novels, the Thrawn trilogy, and Brian Daley's Han Solo adventures. A chance to take a walk down memory lane and acknowledge the better parts of the "Legends" continuity before the new one really starts changing things up.[footnote]Not that I'm opposed to the new canon. Quite the opposite in fact, given how the old one became a hopeless, convoluted clusterfuck of questionable quality.[/footnote]

Johnny Impact

Aug 6, 2008
If that shrunk-down edit of the prequels is still around I will probably just watch that. If not, actual prequels fast-forwarding through some bits.

Then original trilogy.

I'm definitely rewatching the other movies to get ready but I'm setting the bar low for TFA. I don't expect anything from the new movie beyond eye candy. I'll be thrilled if it has more to offer.

Extra-Ordinary

Elite Member
Mar 17, 2010
kris40k said:
IV, V, I, II, III, VI

Decent write up here [http://www.nomachetejuggling.com/2011/11/11/the-star-wars-saga-suggested-viewing-order/], but it seems that the story flows more in that method.
Same.
Aw yeah, machete style baby.

cathou

Souris la vie est un fromage
Apr 6, 2009
kris40k said:
IV, V, I, II, III, VI

totally agree. one of my friend had a girlfriend that never watched star wars and he showed her in that order. you see the story of luke skywalker, his raise and training to be a jedi, you have the rival darth vador, who turn out to be luke father ! what happened ? flashback to Anakin's youth, his raise and fall. then fast foward to the defeat of darth vador and his redemption.

very very good story when put that way

Addendum_Forthcoming

Queen of the Edit
Feb 4, 2009
Holy shit, Star Wars VII is closing towards post production stage? I --- I expected to see more news on TV or something about it. You know ... hype train-level of stuff ... or did the prequels kill the hype express schedule until they sort themselves out and release a good Star Wars movie earlier than 35 years ago?

Fijiman

I am THE PANTS!
Legacy
Dec 1, 2011
Probably not, if only because I'm too lazy to go searching for where we put them.

KyuubiNoKitsune-Hime

Lolita Style, The Best Style!
Jan 12, 2010
I'll watch in this order: Revenge of the Sith, A New Hope, The Empire Strikes Back, and Return of the Jedi. Probably the restored non-special edition re-releases assuming I can find them.

I'm just not going to watch The Phantom Menace, or Attack of the Clones again, I've seen them too many times already and in my own humble personal opinion, both are absolute garbage. Also both are really weird with their dialogue.

Skatologist

Choke On Your Nazi Cookies
Jan 25, 2014
Well since I think I only have the prequels on DVD, I think I'll have to either just go with them/start with them. If not, I'll attempt to use the Machete order.

Evonisia

Your sinner, in secret
Jun 24, 2013
I'll probably just watch Episode III and Episode V, the others I don't really care for.

Or I suppose I could replay Battlefront II.

DefunctTheory

Not So Defunct Now
Mar 30, 2010
I wont.

Unlike most, I don't think Star Wars timeless. It certainly isn't worth the 88 dollars it cost to buy the whole set, particularly after years of version changes and digital remakes.

Will I watch the new one? Sure. Rewatch the old ones? No.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
Not planning to.

1.) My reaction to 7 isn't "Oh my god! I can't wait" and more "I hope this isn't terrible". Also, I keep forgetting a new film is coming out until something pops up to remind me.

2.)I've practically memorized the original trilogy and the others I've seen enough of from the 1-2 times I've seen them.

Besides, it's not like the SW movies are super tight in plotting or characters. It's not like a small detail in episode 4 is going to be the key to a crucial plot twist in episode 7. Lucas is kind of loose with the continuity as it is.