Poll: i dun hav 2 spl im on teh intrenetz!!! [Mild Rant]

FarleShadow

Oct 31, 2008
I speak like a spaz when I'm talking on steam to people I know on the interwebs, abit like this:
"R yous playins todays?"

But generally, I think if you're going to make a post in a forum, which is going to exist for more than acouple seconds (I'm thinking 4chan-esque speed), then you should really take the time to atleast attempt to make a post that people can actually read.

Now I'm sure someone will complain that the grammar isn't 100%, but provided it isn't riddled with spelling mistakes and makes sense, who cares?

Marcus Kehoe

Mar 18, 2011
I have a form of disgraphia that really hinders me in speaking and writing. I always have trouble with typing and people get on me about it all the time, and it annoys me. I'm not lazy and I know my grammar but when I type that's the way it turns out.

Moonlight Butterfly

Be the Leaf
Mar 16, 2011
I will sometimes type the as 'teh' as a common typo and I always seem to put bonus as snobus.

I will never consciously make horrendous errors. I think it can make people imagine you as an imbecile.

marurder

Jul 26, 2009
Anyone claiming to be dyslexic, retarded, 11 etc can use the BUILT IN SPELL CHECK. So those are excuses for the true reason - laziness. Not being 'cool'

maxmanrules

Mar 30, 2011
Kopikatsu said:
The internet should be like Sanctum where when you type something, Microsoft Sam repeats it back to you so that you know precisely how stupid you sound.

But then people would spam JOHNMADDENJOHNMADDENCHEESECHEESEROLFROLFROLFROLFROLFCOPTER
That game is great. I just love making Microsoft Sam say stupid things.

Cpu46

Gloria ex machina
Sep 21, 2009
xTc212 said:
but I never understood 'teh' as its the same amount of letters to type :/.
Well I cant speak for others but I often times type teh instead of the when I am typing fast. Seeing as it can't be confused with any other words I just started leaving it in when spelling doesn't matter. Also I kind of like the sound of it. Also when I have done something stupid online I purposefully use it to add an 'idiot accent' to my posts.

OT: Meh, it all depends on your situation. If you have the time you should go out of your way to correct spelling errors but in online games they are fine, especially high speed games or games that require you to erase the words between the end and your error to correct it, as long as they are not so prevalent that it is obvious that they are going out of their way to misspell words. Also it depends on who you are talking to. When I talk to stranger online I use the best grammar I can but I throw 'teh', 'lawl', and others in when I talk to good friends who I know it won't bother.

Realitycrash

Dec 12, 2010
Not counting all the above given reasons, I also feel that incorrect grammar and punctuation is unattractive. If someone of the opposite sex is trying to pick me up, but can't spell, it really puts them in a disfavorable light.

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
I try to maintain a high standard of grammar while typing/texting but I don't get too annoyed when others don't unless what they're saying is completely incomprehensible.

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
xTc212 said:
I try but I am dyslexic so sometimes I mess up. However I don't mind 'u' being used but I never understood 'teh' as its the same amount of letters to type :/.
The "teh", at least for me, it usually isnt in purpose, I have noticed that it happens from time to time and it usually is because I am typing too fast and the timing gets messed up.

I usually try to be correct but I am not grammar nazi enough to care about the "isn't", I will stick with my "isnt". I also dont mind the "alot" since I remember the creature and lol a bit

miketehmage

Jul 22, 2009
I find that grammar is certainly important and it really irritates me that people still don't know how to use the apostrophe. It's really not hard people. Also people not knowing whether to use "to" or "too" or "there" "their" "they're". It's not hard to understand. Spelling however, I don't care as much about but it still annoys me sometimes. Things like replacing "you" with "u" is because it is faster to type, which is important if say, you're playing a game. And when you replace "the" with "teh", well, now we are entering leetspeak, which is a whole different kettle of fish.

However if english is somebody's second language, then I don't care how bad they spell or how bad their grammar is because they're already doing better than me. So there OP you have my opinion.

(Note how I used "their" "they're" and "there" correctly in the paragraph above people! learn it.)

s0nic_al

Sep 15, 2010
Phlakes said:
EDIT: But don't be a dick in correcting people. No one cares if they say "ten items or less" instead of "ten items or fewer",
Do explain this, please. I honestly do not see the error in "ten items or less."

On topic; I try my best to type with correct grammar or at least with the same grammar I use when speaking, although I still am considered "too proper" in the majority of my social circles. As for correct spelling and punctuation, I do my best. Mistakes happen. I will ignore yours if you ignore mine.

However, if I see other people deliberately mistyping to the degree the title of this thread suggests, the first thought that comes to my mind is "poser." After that thought is formed, I am incapable of taking them seriously.

quiet_samurai

Apr 24, 2009
This thread is kind of circle jerky.

I will take shortcuts and things when I text or am playing a fast paced game... but in a forum setting or even just chatting, as long as a full sized keyboard is available I will talk properly.

But yes peole that type like that and only like that annoy me.

This is the second time today that I have posted this video... not that I mind.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8KQMONOglDQ

5-0

Apr 6, 2010
s0nic_al said:
Phlakes said:
EDIT: But don't be a dick in correcting people. No one cares if they say "ten items or less" instead of "ten items or fewer",
Do explain this, please. I honestly do not see the error in "ten items or less."

On topic; I try my best to type with correct grammar or at least with the same grammar I use when speaking, although I still am considered "too proper" in the majority of my social circles. As for correct spelling and punctuation, I do my best. Mistakes happen. I will ignore yours if you ignore mine.

However, if I see other people deliberately mistyping to the degree the title of this thread suggests, the first thought that comes to my mind is "poser." After that thought is formed, I am incapable of taking them seriously.
Here: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/7591905.stm
In a nutshell, "less" is used when the quantity cannot be individually counted, such as "I would like less water", and "fewer" is used when the items can be counted individually, such as "fewer than 10 apples".

Anyway, unfortunately I'm an incredible pedant when it comes to this sort of stuff. Being an English student spelling and grammar is incredibly important to me. If somebody writes like an idiot then I'm gonna judge them as one. I see what I type on the internet as a public persona- how do I wish people to see me? However, if it's just between friends in chat or whatever, then I care less, as long as it's legible.

Malyc

Bullets... they don't affect me.
Feb 17, 2010
xTc212 said:
I try but I am dyslexic so sometimes I mess up. However I don't mind 'u' being used but I never understood 'teh' as its the same amount of letters to type :/.
"Teh" usually happens to me when I'm in a hurry to type "The", and I accidentally hit the E key before H.

And, as you can tell from the above sentence, I do try to use proper grammar.

Unless I don't remember how to spell something...

Amberella

Super Sailor Moon
Jan 23, 2010
Why yes, yes I do. It irritates me to no end. I have quite a few people blocked on my Facebook for that very reason. And if someone sends me a message talking in that manner, I just delete it and move on. I refuse to talk to someone who can't form a complete sentence using actual words. -.-

ohnoitsabear

Feb 15, 2011
I can usually stand most grammatical errors, especially if they are errors that a lot of people make while talking (like never using whom). I also don't mind most spelling errors as long as I can understand what's being said. So long as it's not ridiculous (like the thread title), I can usually stand it.

But what I can't stand is people using "teh" instead of "the" on purpose. I am incapable of taking anyone that uses "teh" seriously. This is the single biggest thing that annoys me on the internet.

s0nic_al

Sep 15, 2010
5-0 said:
s0nic_al said:
Phlakes said:

Here: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/7591905.stm
In a nutshell, "less" is used when the quantity cannot be individually counted, such as "I would like less water", and "fewer" is used when the items can be counted individually, such as "fewer than 10 apples".

Anyway, unfortunately I'm an incredible pedant when it comes to this sort of stuff. Being an English student spelling and grammar is incredibly important to me. If somebody writes like an idiot then I'm gonna judge them as one. I see what I type on the internet as a public persona- how do I wish people to see me? However, if it's just between friends in chat or whatever, then I care less, as long as it's legible.
Thank you. I was unaware of that.
quiet_samurai said:
This thread is kind of circle jerky.
True, but most of us are in the camp of "We agree, up to the point where some shorthand is acceptable dependant on the circumstances."