Poll: I Think It's About Time

Inkidu

Mar 25, 2011
With Rockstar having a bit of a shift in the way they make their games, and the games they seem to endorse. I think it's about time they put on the high-heeled shoes of female empowerment and turned their attention to a female protagonist for the next GTA game.

I would buy it. I think Rockstar could do a serious, not totally sexualized, or tomboyish female character. I was really impressed with Nico. Only time will tell.

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
Would I play it? Sure. Do I think they absolutely need to make a female character just for the sake of making a female character? Hell no. If they can right a better story for another male character, I'd rather see another male character.

Inkidu

Mar 25, 2011
mjc0961 said:
Would I play it? Sure. Do I think they absolutely need to make a female character just for the sake of making a female character? Hell no. If they can write a better story for another male character, I'd rather see another male character.
Well, yes, and sure. However, I think they've got the skill to pull it off. So why not go for it? Also, I don't think it's a case of making a better male protagonist, they just need to make a female character with the same care and attention that obviously went into some of their better male characters.

razbuten363

Jun 23, 2009
Finding hookers would be...interesting
OT: I don't see any problems with a girl who can kill and steal right up there with the best of em. Also, aren't thieves and ranged people in fantasy RPGs more often than not female?

Kopikatsu

May 27, 2010
razbuten363 said:
Finding hookers would be...interesting
OT: I don't see any problems with a girl who can kill and steal right up there with the best of em. Also, aren't thieves and ranged people in fantasy RPGs more often than not female?
Gigolos?

And, yes. Yes they are. Probably because women are naturally more flexible, agile, and smaller than men. The ranged part doesn't make a huge amount of sense, though, because some bows need an extraordinary amount of strength to draw.

Hoopybees

Jun 22, 2010
I think that's just about the only thing that would make me play a GTA game. And even then only out of morbid curiosity. Women do tend to get shoehorned into very specific roles. It would be nice to play as a free-spirited law-breaking maniac lady for once.

PlasmaFrog

Feb 2, 2009
So, instead of female prostitutes, does this mean that we'll have male gigaloes instead, or is she bisexual?

(Hoping for theory B)

Ilikemilkshake

Jun 7, 2010
Yes, but they'd need to make a good character, otherwise you'd just have people moaning that they're not a guy anymore. Someone well characterised would give the decision to switch some integrity.

daftalchemist

Aug 6, 2008
Finding hookers would be pretty much the same as it usually is: find scantily clad woman, beat to death, steal money. At least that's how I play it anyhow.

Honestly, while the idea of a female GTA protagonist does interest me more than a regular GTA usually does, I have a feeling the game would follow the same "maturity level" of all the previous ones, and she would just be some huge-boobed bimbo in six inch heels using her knockers to get the cops to lower her star rating. If they did actually make it a more mature game, I would love it though.

Kitteh

Mar 31, 2010
I said no not because of the gender thing, but because GTA's too overpriced and doesnt run on my computer so well.
...I may have missed the point of this thread

Smertnik

Apr 5, 2010
Hell yeah, I'd love it. Also considering that Rockstar has used up pretty much all the possible gameplay and story mechanics in previous titles, a female lead would be one of the very few things that would make me buy another GTA game.

Sep 14, 2009
mjc0961 said:
Would I play it? Sure. Do I think they absolutely need to make a female character just for the sake of making a female character? Hell no. If they can right a better story for another male character, I'd rather see another male character.
this by far.

this whole super feminazi movement that has kicked in lately is really starting to irk me

Inkidu

Mar 25, 2011
Kitteh said:
I said no not because of the gender thing, but because GTA's too overpriced and doesnt run on my computer so well.
Maybe just a wee bit.

Inkidu

Mar 25, 2011
gmaverick019 said:
mjc0961 said:
this by far.

this whole super feminazi movement that has kicked in lately is really starting to irk me
1970 called, they say it's over. Seriously though, it's not about feminism if you have a female protagonist. I'm writing a book right now and as a twenty-two-year-old male I realized that anything but a female protagonist would be cliche. It's different, it's not inherently feminist. Plus, would feminism really endorse a female character from Rockstar?

Aris Khandr

Oct 6, 2010
Kitteh said:
Basically, this. I wouldn't play it, but it has nothing to do with the main character, and more to do with the fact that the GTA series doesn't appeal to me at all.

Stickwell

Aug 15, 2010
I honestly haven't had any thought of a GTA game with a female protagonist. That is, Until you brought it up.
I can say that I don't see any reasons against it and think it would be a great idea!

Tibs

Mar 23, 2011
I would prefer a male lead, but I would be fine with a female one. I just prefer to play dudes in all my games, being a dude and all.

Bara_no_Hime

Sep 15, 2010
Inkidu said:
With Rockstar having a bit of a shift in the way they make their games, and the games they seem to endorse. I think it's about time they put on the high-heeled shoes of female empowerment and turned their attention to a female protagonist for the next GTA game.

I would buy it. I think Rockstar could do a serious, not totally sexualized, or tomboyish female character. I was really impressed with Nico. Only time will tell.
I've only played female MCs in Saint's Row 2... which is sort of similar.

Anyway, I voted yes, because I always prefer games with female lead characters.

VanityGirl

Apr 29, 2009
Or why not just have a Grand Theft Auto character you could customize? (similar to how Saint's Row is!)
That way you could appeal to the boys and girls.

Sep 14, 2009
Inkidu said:
gmaverick019 said:
mjc0961 said:
this by far.

1970 called, they say it's over. Seriously though, it's not about feminism if you have a female protagonist. I'm writing a book right now and as a twenty-two-year-old male I realized that anything but a female protagonist would be cliche. It's different, it's not inherently feminist. Plus, would feminism really endorse a female character from Rockstar?
until the fat old bra burning ladies die out, it's not over. i don't know how it is where you live, but there are feminazi's-a-plenty from where i've been, try being nice to women in public just for the sake of being nice to another human being and see how many females get pissed off about it.

honestly i could care less if the protagonist is male or female, if it's female, awesome, if not, awesome.

but putting her female just for the fact of putting her female and doing the "DERP FEMALE PURRR IS ENTITLED TO FEMALE PURRR DERP" is where it gets facepalm worthy.

just adding onto this, a bit off topic, if brink had been only female but with the same customization, i wouldn't have complained one bit, but its a flip scenario and every feminazi in the lands are up in arms with kitchen utensils and hair driers to flame it to death.