Poll: If Jesus ran for president, would you vote for him?

Stakhanov

Aug 9, 2008
As an atheist I'm pretty sure that Jesus of Nazareth (or JoM, if you prefer), if he existed, was a semi-literate Palestinian peasant with some form of schizophrenia and a very liberal social agenda.
So America has certainly done worse in the past but I think I'd choose to vote for the Hunter S. Thompson and Robot-Abraham-Lincoln ticket.

CommanderKirov

Oct 3, 2010
Stammer said:
If Jesus returned for his Second Coming and decided just to be his old self again (ie: just a random dude who could cure blindness, leprosy, and death) I'd vote for him.

As an agnostic, I'm a believer that teachings in the Bible are worth listening to because they give a lot of good moral ideas. And if Jesus turned out to be totally for'rizzle, then I think he'd make a brilliant leader. I'd love to watch as his first act as president is to send the WBC to hell.
Please do not mix up the terms. It's impossible for you to be an agnostic, I believe the term you are looking for there is a skeptic.

On topic. I doubt I would vote for Jesus if he was going for any goverment seat since that would be opposed to the basic ideas of church and religion he established.

And if I would be able to pick a person to choose for a seat of presidency.
I would vote for Gordon Freeman!
Less talk more action!

Haydyn

Mar 27, 2009
Let's look at the facts. In his time he was an inspirational and charasmatic leader who could gain people's support, so anyone who voted for Obama for simular reasons has no room to criticize him. Secular sources confirm that regardless of his divine status, he did in fact exist. Now, if he is the son of God, then he can do no wrong, and if you are going to vote for someone who CAN do wrong over someone who CAN'T, then what are you looking for in a candidate? The ability to be evil?

If he does have powers from the big man himself, then he can literally conjour anything into existence. Spend billions of tax payer dollars cleaning up the slums? BOOM! Jesus can make them into streets of gold. Healthcare plan? Jesus can heal anybody of any illness! What's not to like?

Now, if he isn't the son of God, then he is still a man of morals who does his best to stand up against oppresive government. You wanna talk about seperation of church and state? Jesus was put to death because there was no seperation of church and state. You guys are on the same page.

Don't let religious people ruin religion for you. Jesus becoming president isn't going to force you to be part of any religion or go to church. You may not agree with what we assume his policies are, but that's no reason to attack anyone.

It's assumed Jesus would be anti-abortion. This isn't because he is a strict old person who wants to ruin our fun. It's because he believed all human life is precious. That sounds like a good quality for a leader.

Christians are also notoriously anti-gay marriage. This is because the Bible speaks unkindly of homosexual actions. However, the Bible is also against tatoos. Why is that? Because at the time, the pagans were heavy on tatoos, and, at the time, Christians needed to distance themselves with Pagan traditions. Who is to say gay marriage isn't in the same boat? I'm Christian, and I have no moral issues with homosexuality.

To wrap things up, other issues mostly believed in by rednecks, but are associated with Christianity in general are no free healthcare, keep immigrants out of America, bomb terrorists, even being anti marijuana. Nowhere does it say that God is anti-free healthcare, racist, war hungry, and would never toke up. This is all assumed.

If anything, Jesus coming back to run for president would give him the chance to set the record straight.

subtlefuge

Lord Cromulent
May 21, 2010
I think a lot of people misunderstand that Jesus isn't really a religious figure, and more of a spiritual one.

Regardless, I haven't the slightest whether I would vote for him, and I'm fairly confident in my own personal style of Christianity.

guntotingtomcat

Jun 29, 2010
It would depend on which church's interpretation of Jesus was running.

If it was the lovey-dovey, touchy-feely, why can't we just get along? Jesus, he'd probably get my vote.

Agayek

Ravenous Gormandizer
Oct 23, 2008
Mad World said:
That really wasn't necessary. You're just trying to cause trouble. Obviously (even if you don't believe in Him) - for the sake of the hypothetical situation of Jesus running for president - we're saying that He is real (even though I already believe that He is real).
To be completely fair, belief has nothing to do with reality. Either he's real or he's not, and it doesn't matter one iota whether or not one believes him to be real.

That said, I probably wouldn't vote for Jesus as President. For one, there would be far too much political/religious strife caused simply by the Son of God choosing a side. It would not surprise me to see rioting over it.

That would be caused by his running, regardless of whether or not he wins. Once he does win though, there will be several complications, especially with muslim theocracies and the like. It's simply not a tenable state.

Though if he was willing to use his rcon password for life and simply win the universe forever to stop the inevitable riots, attacks and wars that will follow his return, then it wouldn't matter whether or not I'd voted for him cuz he'd win anyway.

Naheal

Sep 6, 2009
Ellen of Kitten said:
Do many have died in his name already. Don't trust that character.
That's kinda silly. People could kill while claiming to follow anything and that'd be considered a good reason to hate that ideology, according to your logic.

Stryc9

Elite Member
Nov 12, 2008
GreatTeacherCAW said:
Outside of that, I really don't think I can fill in fictional characters in a voting ballot.
Why not? I've done it before, it just means your vote in that part of the election doesn't count. Actually tons of people write in Mickey Mouse on their ballots every presidential election cycle.

And as for me...no...just because.

Irony's Acolyte

Back from the Depths
Mar 9, 2010
I'm pretty sure alot of Republicans wouldn't like him. The idea of what Jesus is like is probably so different than from what he actually was (whether or not he was the son of god), I'm sure alot of Christians wouldn't really agree with him. Seriously. That's how much his teachings have been twisted over the centuries.

johnzaku

Jun 16, 2009
I was thinking I'd decide between like, Jesus Christ, everyday nice guy who knows how to get a following of people to be nice to other people

Or actual miracle-swilling Jesus H. CHRIST, and then I just thought "you know, either way, it'd be 'yes'"

because even though I'm in no way a christian, I certainly think he'd do a pretty good job. Anybody with that kind of pull can change the world.

lettucethesallad

Nov 18, 2009
Well, just by considering the parable of the men working in the orchard where the one who only worked an hour earned as much as the man who worked the whole day - no. That's no way to run a country.

CronosYamato

Apr 17, 2009
I feel this needs to be said once again. Jesus never said a single anti-homosexual thing.

So if he campaigned on his true teachings, basically treat everyone equally, then by all means I would! In fact, the whole 'gays are bad' thing is what drove me away from the church. I don't like being part of a hypocritical organization. (Not sure if that is the right word, but too tried to be bothered with looking up the right one. What I'm getting at is they teach that we should treat everyone equally, but yet will not give equal rights.)