Poll: If Jesus ran for president, would you vote for him?

Labcoat Samurai

Feb 4, 2010
Before we begin, let me say I'm pleasantly surprised at the quality of discourse here. I'm not accustomed to internet debates on this topic going so well :)

Mako SOLDIER said:
Then I must concede that my experience of atheism has been a sad misrepresentation of the belief on a most fundamental level. My experience of atheists (in person primarily, although I would be lying if I said that interviews on topical newscasts etc* haven't had a part) has been fallen pretty strongly into these definitions. I suppose that makes them no more atheist than a handful of idiots who choose to interpret a small part of their holy book as an instruction to blow people up, so if I am indeed wrong on that then I concede it. This, of course leaves many of my arguments as merely statements of opinion rather than points against atheism. I'm still going to respond to some of your other points too, but mainly for purely academic reasons, ie I think this could be an interesting, civil discussion.
There are definitely some very.... spirited... atheists out there. I'll have more on that later in response to another thing you said.

I completely respect your belief, and so long as it comes without judgement then I have absolutely no problem with it. Perhaps titles like 'The God Delusion' don't do Dawkins any favours (and unfortunately, you don't see much by way of other prominent Atheist authors in pride of display, so they kinda jump out at you), but it's that aggressive "I do not believe it and those who do are wrong/stupid/ignorant" attitude that I believe does nobody any favours. I suppose I have generalised based on the aforementioned experience/media/etc, but I suppose that (much like with religious groups) it's the aggressive minority that maintain the highest profile.
I don't want to give the wrong impression, here. I *do* think belief in God is silly and irrational. That doesn't mean I think that *people* who believe in God are silly or irrational, only that they hold at least one silly and irrational belief. In the interests of politeness and respect, I don't generally go around telling people this.

Another good point, but I put it to you that the two things are significantly different in scope. Seismological studies, predictions based upon our current knowledge of physics, etc can bring us pretty close to a solid prediction that the world will not end tomorrow.
Allow me to bring it into parity, then. What if I told you that *God* would end the world tomorrow? Then all your fancy science is meaningless :)

Of course, chance is a pretty significant variable too, so it couldn't be absolutely certain. Other than supposition, we have no way of testing the idea that (hypothetically of course, I don't personally believe this) some natural force we have yet to discover didn't methodically create the conditions for the big bang or contribute the catalyst to start it off. Now, as you say, we probably won't ever be able to conclusively prove or disprove that, but I would certainly say it puts some distance between the two statements.
It's, ultimately, wild speculation to say that some intelligent force is behind the universe. So I don't see the two statements as all that different, particularly when I invoke a supernatural cause for tomorrow's world ending event. But this is fundamentally the difference, I think, between a religious person and a non-religious person. The religious person thinks this stuff sounds reasonable. I suspect, it's because it's something they want to believe. Human beings like to think that things have meaning and a purpose, so speculation that the universe has meaning and purpose given by an intelligent creator is appealing.

Again, this relies upon my misconception of Atheism as a whole. My apologies. I wouldn't say that rejection of religious ideas and a scientific mind necessarily go hand in hand, as inquisitiveness about the nature of things lies at the heart of both ideals. Religious belief taken to rigid extremes is certainly rather irreconcilable with scientific thinking, but I'm sure there are plenty of excellent scientists who have some sort of religious belief.
There are, but they either aren't applying scientific thinking to their religious beliefs or they are misapplying it. An atheist shows a willingness to reject a prevailing cultural belief in the face of logic and reason (there are some atheists who reject it for other reasons, such as the aforementioned Problem of Evil or even just general rebelliousness, but see earlier when I said it was only a correlation). Anyway, the ability to reject a belief in the face of evidence, solid mathematics, or compelling reasoning is critical to scientific thinking.

Just to play devils advocate, what is your view of those beliefs (such as certain modern polytheistic ideas) that see god in everything but view deity as a convenient way for the layman to express the physical and chemical processes that govern our universe in a manner that they can better connect with?
Personally, I don't see the point. Either the "god" of pantheism is just a meaningless word or an unnecessary middle man. I had a friend who said he felt god was the laws of physics and the physical world. I asked him why he felt that there needed to be a god at all. Do the laws of physics have a will or is it that they just *are*? If the latter, what's the point in invoking god? It's just a word substitution at that point, because it doesn't carry with it any of the other expectations of the supernatural that one might have.

Now, as an idiomatic construct, I guess it's fine. Einstein famously referred to the universe as god, while not actually invoking a magical man in the sky.

For instance, some branches of paganism hold masculine and feminine as separate divine forces, but see them as simple interpretations of the duality that dominates pretty much everything from reproduction to the charged particle pairs (to glibly simplify molecular physics, although I'm sure there are exceptions within what we currently understand)
When I was a kid, I had the thought that planets revolved around the sun much like electrons in an atom, so maybe the solar system is just an atom in a much larger object.

Not an original idea, but it was original to me at the time. And it is indicative of a similar misunderstanding of the natural world. Things that appear parallel on the surface commonly have massively different traits otherwise that ruin the analogy. Consider that male and female are not even universal concepts in biology, and among all the species that *do* have males and females, the concepts of masculine and feminine vary as well. Female spiders are far larger than their male counterparts, for example.

Do you see how the goalposts can be endlessly moved to make it impossible to disprove something?

Yeah, sadly I do. I also see how that could apply to schools of thought like "It happened because it was god's will", which is unfortunately another reason why (as we seem to agree) inflexibility of belief is such a bad thing. However, it doesn't really apply to a general "I believe in some sort of greater power/consciousness" type of faith.
Yes and no. Yes, those people aren't moving their goalposts, but that's partly because they don't have to. The "greater power/consciousness" variety of belief is making no testable predictions, so it already enjoys "unfalsifiable" status.

Yes, but (just to nitpick) aren't "Why did the big bang happen?" and "How did the correct conditions for the big bang come to exist at the time that they did?" essentially the same question? To me it seems that "Why?" is just the question of "How?" taken back a step in the logical sequence.
My apologies. This is a pet peeve of mine and I commonly nitpick on this point. The difference is there, but it's a semantic difference, and I'm really picky sometimes about word choice. To me, "why" suggests purpose and meaning where "how" is purely mechanical. Most people use them interchangeably and aren't exactly confusing the two.

I couldn't agree more. Again this goes back to my (apparently misrepresentative) experiences with Atheism where there has seemed to be a certain pretty strongdisrespect towards religious people. Unfortunatly judging from a few of the "Lolz, why would I vote for a fictional person?" type of comments in this thread alone, there are certainly people out there giving Atheism a bad name. I guess that's the unfortunate part of a belief system that takes a stance that specifically believes the notion of religion to be incorrect - everyone who takes the same contrary stance falls under the same heading regardless of what type of person they are. Sure, some of those posters may have simply been from non-christian backgrounds, but I'd imagine it's unlikely, since I think most world religions recognise Jesus, even if they don't believe he was a prophet/deity.
Earlier I mentioned I'd talk about why I think there are some very spirited atheists out there, and I think I can talk from personal experience on this one. I was raised Christian and began to reject my faith at around age 12. I was the only atheist I knew and I felt out of place in the small town in which I lived. My mother was very upset about my decision and virtually terrorized me over it, accusing me of rejecting her by rejecting her faith and essentially telling me that I was risking hell. I developed a tough skin about it back then and often came on very strong in religious debates, largely out of reaction to perceived persecution from the religiously minded. I was bitter that my opinions were disrespected and that I was disrespected for having them (have you read The God Delusion? Dawkins talks about a poll where 51% of Americans said they would not vote for a qualified atheist for political office). Atheism is demonized in this country, and atheists are seen in a very negative light. Today, I sit here, 30 years old, typing this post, far more mellow than I was in those days, far more at peace with the notion of religion, and yet, as a rule, I still don't tell people I'm an atheist (unless I'm doing so anonymously, like I am here).

So in short, why are so many atheists so rude about this stuff? I think they're bitter and angry about their experiences, and they're lashing out. That doesn't excuse their behavior, of course. Still, I think it's funny when Christians complain about persecution. From an Atheist's perspective, that's like telling a poor African child that you're starving.

Hmm, thinking about it, even someone who has no belief in any religion would likely recognise that Jesus could well have been a common name at the time and as such, there was bound to be someone by that name, even if he was actually a serial arsonist who wore a turnip for a hat. Perhaps the real problem is simply intolerant people who enjoy stirring up trouble.
Describing Jesus as a fictional character is no more an insult or a jibe than describing Futurama's Nixon as a fictional character. Both are (probably) based on real people, both have fictional elements, and the atheist doesn't have any particular reason to treat them differently. Believers are often offended by disrespect toward Jesus, but this is something that an atheist doesn't necessarily think much about.

EDIT: So what I'm saying is that it might not so much be stirring up trouble as thoughtlessness.

Jonluw

May 23, 2010
Question: Does he have magic powers?
If so, will he use them for what we ask him to?

I mean, if we made Jesus president, he could at least stabilize world economy
You know, screw that. I would make Jesus the dictator of our now communist regime. He is the only one who could get communism to work.

Edit: Wait a second, I take that back. What if God/Jesus didn't want to do what's good for us?
Like Epicurus said:
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?
Then he is not omnipotent.
Is he able, but not willing?
Then he is malevolent.
Is he both able and willing?
Then whence cometh evil?
Is he neither able nor willing?
Then why call him God?

So I now don't trust that God would have our best interests in mind in ruling us.

But ultimately, if God is real he already rules us, so what's the point?

orangeban

Nov 27, 2009
Well yeah, mainly 'cause just think; hungry Africans need aid? Bam! Fish, bread ect. everywhere. Healthcare could be free 'cause, Bam! the sick are cured. Also (and correct me if I'm wrong) he sort of is god and god is omnipotent so everyone would actually get a voice. Though it does depend where he leans on the political spectrum. Jesus has always seemed pretty liberal to me (and please don't start a war on wether he was or not) but if he was, say, more Republican leaning then I would have to disagree. This is all assuming he is the son of god. If he isn't then I would agree that he doesn't have much political experience and it would cause a lot of hostility between religions I think.

dolgion

Nov 20, 2010
LOL jesus wouldn't run for president, because the power given to the president is limited, and Jesus obviously would get shit done much better without agreeing to limit his own right of use of his own powers.

If he ever came to earth, we'd all just worship him and that's that. Who'd even need politics?

slightly evil

Feb 18, 2010
not just some nutter claiming to be jesus, no
but someone claiming god was their father (as he aparently is to all of us) with really good policies, sure

HentMas

The Loneliest Jedi
Apr 17, 2009
NO

most of his teachings contradict what a good goverment would be, too lenient, peace and love, all those things are a mix of hippy and as such are contrary to what a goverment should strive for (order)

so i would not vote for him

i still think he is a great leader and an amazing person, his teachings could lead to world peace and such (yeah, the ones that arent inherently anti-gay and misogicistic) but i would think this would go badly in the current political climate (Korea and China)

Sep 14, 2009
lacktheknack said:
fenrizz said:
lacktheknack said:
Yes.

By the way, Jesus never said gays are bad. Ever. Once. And he often implied that he has an opposite view on them.
Where in the bible did he imply this?
Various actions such as spending much of his time in each city encouraging and offering hope to prostitutes, shepherds, and other "people of sin". He even had a tax collector in his specially chosen membership, some of the most corrupt and greedy individuals in existence at the time.

Then, of course, there was the time he saved an adulteress from stoning, adultery being a worse sin then homosexuality.

Also, he was incredibly vicious towards the Pharisees who reveled in obeying the rules and not caring about the people themselves.

Actions speak louder than words.
good stuff.

oh and just because jesus IS jesus, that doesn't mean he would be the most religious person on the planet, more often than not (like the above post stated) he did more than he actually spoke, in which case I'd vote for him based on the fact that he would actually get shit done rather than just stand around talking to everyone giving feel good speeches like our current/ex president tried to do.

plus being jesus and all, he'd have the power of light!

samaugsch

Oct 13, 2010
Tanfastic said:
Lol @ people saying he didn't exist. He was a real person, whether he did all the stuff that is written about is up for debate.

OT: Sure, he's Jesus and stuff.
Well, if you don't believe in God, you can't believe in Jesus, either, since he is God.

samaugsch

Oct 13, 2010
emeraldrafael said:
samaugsch said:
emeraldrafael said:
No. Because jesus is pure, and all politicials are crooked. So thus, either:
a) it is not jesus running
b) the fabric of reality would be torn asunder

Besides, he'd want to help EVERYONE, and you just cant do that without creating inflation, debt and ruin.
He'd have a way around it. This is Jesus we're talking about.
Again, Jesus is an Alchemist. Not a magician. or God. he is God incarnate.
He is God. He even says it shortly before his crucifixion: "I am."

xplay3r

Jun 4, 2009
otakuoverlord said:
Would he be republican? I thought yes at first but I saw a bumper sticker that was very informative about his stance on the party. Would he toe the party line like all resurrected deities when faced with decisions? Vishnu screwed that shit up in the 70's, and Amaterasu didn't fare so well during the Sarin attacks in the 90's.

Would the Vatican sponsor his campaign? I don't know if Jesus has much of a personal fortune anymore, though I suppose the accrued interest on a sandal left behind 2000 years ago might put him on stable financial ground. Maybe he could get the republicans to foot the bill?
Awesome response! filled with actual knowledge of religions and political history, as well as wit and (whether intentional or unintentional) puns. awesome post.
By the way. Welcome to the escapist!

OP I personally am an atheist, but I believe jesus exsisted and was a real person, I just don
t believe the gods song parts and all. However based on what jesus ACTUALLY said in the bible. Yes I would. He believes the rich should give their money to the poor. He believe the quiet people "the meek" would inherit the earth, and the love is more important than hate.
So yeah. I would

xplay3r

Jun 4, 2009
samaugsch said:
Tanfastic said:
Lol @ people saying he didn't exist. He was a real person, whether he did all the stuff that is written about is up for debate.

OT: Sure, he's Jesus and stuff.
Well, if you don't believe in God, you can't believe in Jesus, either, since he is God.
Actually, I believe jesus existed I just don't believe, but I don't believe he was the son god, or god or the ice to gods steam/water, however you view it.
I believe he was a real person, he spoke to people, and did charitable things. Then, 300 years after he was crucified, the bible was written and because of word of mouth and the generations that had gone by, he suddenly had done miracles, and is the son of god.
Though I'm not saying this is the truth, I believe ti to be, doesn't mean it is, I'm just saying that is what I believe, so it is possible to believe jesus existed but isn't the sun of god.

KValentine

Mar 4, 2009
No. He doesn't have much political experience. I don't recall him holding a congressional position or even a governor's position. If he's never managed a state or city, why the hell would I trust him with a country?

He did manage a small party, but he failed to deal with anyone who posed a risk to the party's movement. That's just bad managerial skills. And I recall he was pretty bad at handling the public when confronted. They really crucified him.

Labcoat Samurai

Feb 4, 2010
Rex Fallout said:
Anyways lets see the first thing you mention is the verse, which to be honest had me groan when I saw it with a 'ugh gotta go look it up' but I suppose its for the better that I dont just spout random information with no facts to back them up, I cant see how any dignified news source *cough*Fox*cough* could do such a thing. Well, it actually appears multiple times, but the one I found is Mark 12:17.
Sorry, I think I may have been unclear. I'm familiar with the quote regarding Caesar. I meant to ask if you could quote chapter and verse where he said that you should not help the poor out of a sense of obligation. Particularly, that if you feel obligated to help them, don't.

He famously said that it's easier for a camel to fit through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter the kingdom of heaven.
Ok, now on your quote, you dont seem to understand what that meant, it meant that a rich person is less likely to go to heaven because he doesnt want to give up the wealth he has amassed here on Earth. Rich people Can go to heaven, but go up to any rich, (and by rich lets say millionaires) person and ask them to give up all of the money they've earned to random charities when they are on death row and see what happens.
So you're saying that it's only difficult for a rich man to enter the kingdom of heaven if he obstinately refuses to give up stuff that he has no use or need for? Your example suggests that the only case in which a rich man would have difficulty getting into heaven is if he didn't need his money and *still* refused to give it up. I don't read that at all from the text. Why do you interpret it that way?

Ok now the answer to this one is simple, you see in a socialist/communist society, history must be erased from memory. Why? Because history was written by individuals, Alexander the Great, Attila the Hun, George Washington, Nikola Tesla, etc. and individual ideas of these people, why they endanger the safety of a nation! We could have revolution on our hands if people believe what these people believed! So, actually I suppose you got me, I was wrong, history will exist, just a highly censored one where all of the heros are played out by socialist supporting no names.
Well it *can* go down that way, but I don't think that is a necessary component of socialism. Pure socialism is essentially a massively scaled up version of a commune. Communes respect individuals, their ideas, and their history. Communes can even work quite well. The problem is that that structure scales very poorly. You may feel motivated to help someone who is your friend and who helps you on a daily basis, but how motivated would you be to help faceless masses you've never met?

EDIT:Oh and their economy isnt necesarily doing 'great', its tied to every other economy on Earth right now, just like everybody else, and contrary to popular belief, despite our huge federal debt and other economic problems, the United States remains the world super power, both in terms of military strength, and surprisingly, economic power as well.
Well, "great" is kind of an ill-defined term anyway. Their economy is huge, and they're on the right side of a trade deficit. Not that a trade deficit is great for either party, but if you're going to be on one side or the other, it's better to be on the producer side. And yeah, we have a lot of clout, largely because we owe them an enormous amount of money, and they really need us to stick around to pay them ;)

But yes, I agree. For the moment, we are still the last remaining superpower. How long that will last is a subject of great debate which, I must admit, is a field in which I'm little better than a layman.

Give me an example of one pure socialist state that I cant prove is fed by China or another capitalist nation. You wont be able to give me one.
Not what I said. I didn't say there was a working pure socialist state. I said there were working states that implement a degree of socialism that would make a Republican's head spin, so setting the success standard at "pure socialism" seems pointless if we're going to talk about realistic policy decisions.

That being said, the last thing we need is for health care to be completely controled by the federal government, that's only asking for trouble.
Perhaps it would. People certainly say that a lot. And, of course, you always hear horror stories about the NHS and whatnot... but I don't know that they're worse than our horror stories, and I really dislike the idea that there's a group (your health insurance company) with a significant profit motive for trying to pay out as little as possible while trying to get as much as possible out of you. If my health is at stake, I don't want to fight with a wealthy corporate entity.

Blayze2k

Dec 16, 2009
tthor said:
Blayze2k said:
Faladorian said:
-Even if he was the smartest person of his time, he would be comparably unintelligent
WOAH.
This is some old-school imperialist ethno-centrism.

People of the past were no less intelligent than people now. Sure, we have more advanced technology, but how much of it did YOU invent?
actually, studies show that people in the past were actually MORE intellegent. ever since the invention of civilization, the human brain has been getting gradually smaller. thats because civilization makes it easier for people to survive, so the weak/stupid aren't being weeded out as effectively
Hah!
Lovely, thank you.

Blayze2k

Dec 16, 2009
Faladorian said:
It is pure hubris to believe that you are more intelligent than a group of people because the society you were born into has things that they didn't.
Wrong. I never said they were stupid. Ignorant? Maybe. The point is that they had no idea how to make an automobile, but we still know how to herd sheep. Intelligence has accumulated.
Woah now, kiddo.
You said people now are more intelligent. That literally means that people then were more stupid. Don't try to twist semantics to get out of what you said.

Let me put it to you this way: If you were thrown into the desert without any technology, would you rather have with you a modern American scientist, or an ancient sheepherder?
Probably the scientist. If you ever even watch Man vs. Wild you can see what modern intelligence can do. An ancient sheepherder wouldn't know what plants of what genus have what toxins and vitamins.
Bear Grylls isn't a scientist, he's a survivalist. My sister is a scientist, and she wouldn't know which plants to eat either.
An ancient sheepherder would know EXACTLY which plants were toxic and which ones were nutritious. People in harsh environments know their environment. That's how they survive. These people are not morons, they are highly specialized experts.
Look up a few arctic and antarctic explorers sometime. Did you know there was one who tried to bring HORSES? You think that guy was smarter than the Inuit, just because he understood advanced technology that they had never encountered? The guy was a fuckin' moron.

People adapt to the world they live in. People then were as well-adapted to their world as you are to your world. You are NOT more intelligent than an ancient person. You are just more well-informed.
Retaining more information and using it to influence your decisions can lead to wiser choices. Some people are incapable of understanding complex ideas based on the era they live in. Just look at elderly people who can't work a cell phone properly.
We are discussing intelligence. Not wisdom.
Secondly, people are RESISTANT to new ideas, but they are not necessarily incapable of understanding them. Capability is not the deciding factor.
Modern people are resistant to new ideas too. You gave a perfect example! Old people don't adapt well to new technology. Is it because they're stupid?
I have two co-workers, both of whom own iPhones. One of them is an art college student who hasn't quite graduated. The other is a Yale graduate with a double major in Psychology and Philosophy. Guess which one of them is better with their iPhone?
[The art student.]

And people didn't laugh at atomic theory in the dark ages. No one had even proposed it, unless I am mistaken. I am reasonably certain I'm not.
Well, you are. The atomic theory was first proposed by Democritus, an ancient Greek philosopher who died almost 800 years before the Dark Ages.
Interesting fact, but purely academic considering the people of the Dark Ages wouldn't have had access to that information. So my point about their exposure to the idea remains valid.

My point is that HAVING a thing does not make you intelligent.
If you have a car and another person does not, does that make them less intelligent than you?
No. But if you understand the mechanisms of a car and they don't, then yes.
Are you a mechanic?

This is just a way modern people pat themselves on the back. Frankly, it's disgusting.
If I'm not mistaken, this condescending sentence shows you feel superior to "modern people." Somehow that doesn't faze you, I guess.
Perhaps I phrased it too generally,
But I think it's obvious that this is directed specifically at people who feel that they are superior to people of other cultures and time periods.
Which is judging people by their actions, rather than their culture.

If it comes off as condescending, well, it is.

[By the by, what the fuck was the point of adding those links?]
They're called examples. They usually help when making a point.
So you felt the need to give an example of the DARK AGES? As if I hadn't heard of that period of time? And you could have just said "like snuggies" instead of linking to them.

Faladorian

May 3, 2010
Blayze2k said:
Woah now, kiddo.
You said people now are more intelligent. That literally means that people then were more stupid. Don't try to twist semantics to get out of what you said.
The whole point of words like "less" and "more" is to show a scale. If it was either black or white, right or wrong, intelligent or stupid, it would be different. I said "comparable unintelligent." That means less intelligent. I'm not twisting semantics, you're misunderstanding me.

Less intelligent =/= stupid

Less intelligent = not as intelligent

Let me put it to you this way: If you were thrown into the desert without any technology, would you rather have with you a modern American scientist, or an ancient sheepherder?
Probably the scientist. If you ever even watch Man vs. Wild you can see what modern intelligence can do. An ancient sheepherder wouldn't know what plants of what genus have what toxins and vitamins.
Bear Grylls isn't a scientist, he's a survivalist.[/quote]
You're right, my mistake.

My sister is a scientist, and she wouldn't know which plants to eat either.
An ancient sheepherder would know EXACTLY which plants were toxic and which ones were nutritious. People in harsh environments know their environment. That's how they survive. These people are not morons, they are highly specialized experts.
I don't actually think a sheep herder would know. Especially not one that long ago. They were lower-class people who herded animals in pastures. Pastures are mostly grass... the only plants he would likely know would be various flowers and poison ivy.

A botanist would be able to point out which plants do what, contain what, and mimick what. They would know that sometimes blueberries aren't blueberries, they're highly poisonous fruits from a copycat plant. The sheep herder probably wouldn't.

Look up a few arctic and antarctic explorers sometime. Did you know there was one who tried to bring HORSES? You think that guy was smarter than the Inuit, just because he understood advanced technology that they had never encountered? The guy was a fuckin' moron.
I agree. He is a moron. There have always been morons.. and they're surprisingly abundant now, which only furthers the idea that they would probably be more likely to be around in a time when education wasn't priority.

People adapt to the world they live in. People then were as well-adapted to their world as you are to your world. You are NOT more intelligent than an ancient person. You are just more well-informed.
Retaining more information and using it to influence your decisions can lead to wiser choices. Some people are incapable of understanding complex ideas based on the era they live in. Just look at elderly people who can't work a cell phone properly.
We are discussing intelligence. Not wisdom.[/quote]
So, the ability to judge how well you'll survive a situation is intelligence? I would call that survival instinct.

Also, to say that humans were equally intelligent, but not equally privileged doesn't make too much sense, seeing as people invented everything we use. It took time, too. We started with easy things we could wrap our head around, like wheels and levers. Now we're making microscopic computer chips and nearly-autonomous robots.

Just because the knowledge wasn't taught directly to them doesn't mean they couldn't figure it out. They did later. People from Jesus' time were less intelligent, with no exclusion to Jesus himself if he did, in fact, exist. It'd be interesting to see how many people of his time period could divide numbers. The concept of zero was a relatively new invention.

You're talking about street smarts. Sure, they're useful, but it's paled in the absence of actual intelligence, considering a lot of people nowadays have both.

Secondly, people are RESISTANT to new ideas, but they are not necessarily incapable of understanding them. Capability is not the deciding factor.
The Dark Ages was due to stubbornness and ignorance on the part of the Catholic Church. They set us back one thousand freaking years just because anyone who proposed anything that wasn't engraved in holy scripture was silenced for heresy. But I digress, religion being detrimental to human advancement is a topic for another day.

Modern people are resistant to new ideas too. You gave a perfect example! Old people don't adapt well to new technology. Is it because they're stupid?
I have two co-workers, both of whom own iPhones. One of them is an art college student who hasn't quite graduated. The other is a Yale graduate with a double major in Psychology and Philosophy. Guess which one of them is better with their iPhone?
[The art student.]
Okay, fair enough. However, people who are compatible with iPhones are also compatible with the technology that said middle-aged man grew up with. The point is, they are in a simpler frame of mind where complex things fluster them. Take me for example; I'm sure if I was to be put in an advanced trigonometry class for budding mathematicians, I'd be totally flustered. That's because I'm used to my high-school Algebra. Does that mean I'm less intelligent than somebody training to be a mathematician? Chances are, the answer is a resounding yes.

And people didn't laugh at atomic theory in the dark ages. No one had even proposed it, unless I am mistaken. I am reasonably certain I'm not.
Well, you are. The atomic theory was first proposed by Democritus, an ancient Greek philosopher who died almost 800 years before the Dark Ages.
Interesting fact, but purely academic considering the people of the Dark Ages wouldn't have had access to that information. So my point about their exposure to the idea remains valid.
Again, the reason they weren't exposed to it is because of religious ignorance and refusal to learn. At that time other cultures were going crazy with intellectual revolutions, but Europe wanted nothing to do with it, because it didn't fit into their religious curriculum.

My point is that HAVING a thing does not make you intelligent.
If you have a car and another person does not, does that make them less intelligent than you?
Are you a mechanic?
No, and yet again that isn't relevant.

This is just a way modern people pat themselves on the back. Frankly, it's disgusting.
If I'm not mistaken, this condescending sentence shows you feel superior to "modern people." Somehow that doesn't faze you, I guess.
Perhaps I phrased it too generally,
But I think it's obvious that this is directed specifically at people who feel that they are superior to people of other cultures and time periods.
Which is judging people by their actions, rather than their culture.

If it comes off as condescending, well, it is.
First off, "culture" is just a compilation of regular routines shared by a group of people. Those are actions.

Secondly, I'm not saying that people are unintelligent simply because they were born in a certain place. I know stereotypes don't work. I know asians who are bad at math, I know black people who can't rap and can swim, I know white people that can dance and aren't rich and spoiled. They just aren't applicable, and racism is extremely stupid. That (I hope) we can agree on.

Third, time period is relevant. People living 2000 years from now (assuming we're not extinct) will probably be more intelligent than us. Generations advance in intelligence, it's how humans are. The great apes we evolved from had very small brain cavities, because their jaw muscles were huge. Weaker jaws, more room for a brain. The stupid ones kept being selected naturally, and still are. Stupid people die, because they're stupid. It's how it is. Although, with the knowledge and technology we have now, we're almost immune to natural selection.

[By the by, what the fuck was the point of adding those links?]
They're called examples. They usually help when making a point.
So you felt the need to give an example of the DARK AGES? As if I hadn't heard of that period of time?
Well, I'm sure you have. The details are the important part. I've heard of a lot of things that I know virtually nothing about. Also, you were unaware of the origins of the atomic theory, so maybe you could clear up any other historical inconsistencies you or I have presented.

And you could have just said "like snuggies" instead of linking to them.
Maybe I'm just spending too much time reading articles on Wiki pages, and I've adopted the format. I don't know.

Blayze2k

Dec 16, 2009
Faladorian said:
Blayze2k said:
Woah now, kiddo.
The whole point of words like "less" and "more" is to show a scale. If it was either black or white, right or wrong, intelligent or stupid, it would be different. I said "comparable unintelligent." That means less intelligent. I'm not twisting semantics, you're misunderstanding me.

Less intelligent =/= stupid

Less intelligent = not as intelligent
Note that I also did not use the word "stupid" in an unqualified way. A room with less light in it is more dark. A person who is less intelligent is more stupid.

Anyway, I object to this premise regardless of these minute semantic differences.

My sister is a scientist, and she wouldn't know which plants to eat either.
I don't actually think a sheep herder would know. Especially not one that long ago. They were lower-class people who herded animals in pastures. Pastures are mostly grass... the only plants he would likely know would be various flowers and poison ivy.

A botanist would be able to point out which plants do what, contain what, and mimick what. They would know that sometimes blueberries aren't blueberries, they're highly poisonous fruits from a copycat plant. The sheep herder probably wouldn't.
When I made this example up, I was thinking specifically of the Bedouin.
Anyway, the specifics of foraging aside, a person from a specific environment is going to be better equipped to survive in that environment. Every time.
Bear Grylls is great and all, but his sort of survival is short-term. The sort of stuff you do to survive in a place long enough to get rescued.
People actually permanently LIVE in some of the most unforgiving, harsh environments in the world, and they do so without the benefit of modern technology.
They know things,
That you do not know.

I agree. He is a moron. There have always been morons.. and they're surprisingly abundant now, which only furthers the idea that they would probably be more likely to be around in a time when education wasn't priority.
A LOT of arctic explorers failed because of their use of (what was at the time) "modern" methods.
Did you know that any sleeping bag, no matter how advanced, *will* fail, given enough time, in arctic conditions? I can explain why if you'd like. In detail.
You know what doesn't fail? The furs and hides that native peoples use. In this case, their technology is actually BETTER than ours. There are more examples of this.

So, the ability to judge how well you'll survive a situation is intelligence? I would call that survival instinct.
Instinct?
That's absurd. People don't innately know how to survive harsh environments. If they did, then YOU would be as capable of surviving in the arctic and sub-arctic as well as the Inuit.

People survive these environments because they have developed methods to do so. Nothing less. Mathematics are a fine way of gauging intelligence, until you are freezing to death with nothing to eat.
People are adapted to their environment. You are adapted to YOUR environment. If you are taken out of your element and put in someone else's, they'll think you're an idiot, because you can't do the basic things that are required to survive. Things that their children already know.

I use these cultural examples because in every way that matters to our discussion, a "primitive" culture existing in our own time is no different than a "primitive" culture from the past.

Also, to say that humans were equally intelligent, but not equally privileged doesn't make too much sense, seeing as people invented everything we use. It took time, too. We started with easy things we could wrap our head around, like wheels and levers. Now we're making microscopic computer chips and nearly-autonomous robots.
I didn't say that people were less privileged. That would be assuming many things which I refuse to assume.
See, the only reason that an ancient person couldn't wrap their head around the idea of a microchip is because they lack all of the intervening context. If you gave them the context first, they would understand.

Just because the knowledge wasn't taught directly to them doesn't mean they couldn't figure it out. They did later.
Thank you for agreeing with me?
People had to develop technologies and sciences sequentially. You can't run before you can walk. It doesn't make ancient people less intelligent, it just makes them ancient.
The ONLY reason you know about the technologies that they didn't know about is because you come after them, temporally. That doesn't make you smarter.

You're talking about street smarts. Sure, they're useful, but it's paled in the absence of actual intelligence, considering a lot of people nowadays have both.
I always find it funny when people make this distinction.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/Intelligence
-capacity for learning, reasoning, understanding, and similar forms of mental activity; aptitude in grasping truths, relationships, facts, meanings, etc

Did you catch the important word there?
CAPACITY.
Intelligence is not a measure of what you DO know, it's a measure of your ability to learn.
You learned about cars and microchips, because of the environment you grew up in.
Jesus learned about carpentry, and presumably fishing. Because of the environment HE grew up in.

The "advanced" nature of the information YOU know is entirely irrelevant. It is a temporal thing, signifying nothing in regards to your ability to learn.
Jesus probably knew as much as you do, but about different things. This is operating under the assumption that he wasn't God, naturally. I could have used any person from the time period as an example.

The Dark Ages was due to stubbornness and ignorance on the part of the Catholic Church. They set us back one thousand freaking years just because anyone who proposed anything that wasn't engraved in holy scripture was silenced for heresy. But I digress, religion being detrimental to human advancement is a topic for another day.
And nowadays people are resistant to new ideas based on hubris and skepticism. What's your point?
Look, I'm not defending the Catholic church, or trying to suggest there was anything nice about the dark ages. So yes, you do digress.

[The art student.]
Okay, fair enough. However, people who are compatible with iPhones are also compatible with the technology that said middle-aged man grew up with. The point is, they are in a simpler frame of mind where complex things fluster them. Take me for example; I'm sure if I was to be put in an advanced trigonometry class for budding mathematicians, I'd be totally flustered. That's because I'm used to my high-school Algebra. Does that mean I'm less intelligent than somebody training to be a mathematician? Chances are, the answer is a resounding yes.
Sure, but is he more intelligent because he knows those things, or is he capable of knowing those things because he's more intelligent?
Again, knowing doesn't make you intelligent. Everyone knows things. I know things about Star Wars that NO ONE SHOULD EVER KNOW. It doesn't mean I'm smarter than someone who doesn't know those things.

You seem to be hung up on the idea that the usefulness of information is a measure of intelligence.
Which is why I keep bringing up native peoples. To them, the information they have is MUCH more useful than trigonometry. Hell, trigonometry is pretty useless for MOST people.

Again, the reason they weren't exposed to it is because of religious ignorance and refusal to learn. At that time other cultures were going crazy with intellectual revolutions, but Europe wanted nothing to do with it, because it didn't fit into their religious curriculum.
THIS IS A VALUABLE POINT.
Do you believe yourself to be more intelligent than those people who existed at that time but in areas that were undergoing intellectual revolutions?

For example, Leonardo Da Vinci.
He existed in the past.
You have stated plainly that people of the past are less intelligent than people of the present.
Does this mean you believe yourself to be more intelligent than Leonardo Da Vinci?

Are you a mechanic?
No, and yet again that isn't relevant.
Of course it's relevant!
If you aren't a mechanic, then you don't actually understand the mechanisms of an engine. You might have some inkling of what's making it go, but how is that useful at all? You could believe that it was driven by a gremlin on a hamster wheel, and it wouldn't impair your ability to operate it any moreso than simply not knowing the details of its function.

First off, "culture" is just a compilation of regular routines shared by a group of people. Those are actions.
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/Culture
Relevant definition: "the total of the inherited ideas, beliefs, values, and knowledge, which constitute the shared bases of social action"

Furthermore, your mis-definition of culture would be only one logical step away from validation of racism, which as you mentioned before, we agree is bad.
[Because if a culture is defined by it's actions, and it's valid to judge based on actions, then why can't you judge a group based on the 'compilation of regular routines' that they share? From there you can easily begin to classify cultures are 'good' or 'bad.' This is textbook ethnocentrism.]

Third, time period is relevant. People living 2000 years from now (assuming we're not extinct) will probably be more intelligent than us. Generations advance in intelligence, it's how humans are. The great apes we evolved from had very small brain cavities, because their jaw muscles were huge. Weaker jaws, more room for a brain. The stupid ones kept being selected naturally, and still are. Stupid people die, because they're stupid. It's how it is. Although, with the knowledge and technology we have now, we're almost immune to natural selection.
You may have overlooked this, but a fellow up above us somewhere mentioned:
BECAUSE we are essentially immune to natural selection, our brain cavities have been getting smaller with consecutive generations. If your only definition of intelligence is the size of the human brain, we are actually definitively less intelligent than people of the past.

Maybe I'm just spending too much time reading articles on Wiki pages, and I've adopted the format. I don't know.
Fair enough.