Poll: If They Made "Mirror's Edge 2" Would You Play it?

Phoenix_XIII

May 15, 2011
gyllybug said:
Probably, but also would not pay full price. The first game didn't wow me to the point of "I must make all my friends play this sparkling shiny new game" but it did hold my attention till I beat it.

Which due to it's length, wasn't really long. I didn't really mind the length though, I didn't pay for it after all (birthday present from some cousin who thought "she likes games and this one's cheap") so it wasn't a waste of MY money.

I'd definitely get some lols out of the inevitable Zero Punctuation that'd come from it, Yahtzee never fails to make me laugh, even if I loved the game he's tearing to shreds.
Agreed. My girlfriend watched Zero Punctuation and she said he shredded Left 4 Dead to pieces and I vowed never to listen to him. But then I watched it and laughed my lungs out of my body and now I watch his vids every day.

0_Insomnis_0

May 28, 2010
I love novel concepts in games, especially when they're done well. I'm really hoping some half-way intelligent person comes along and makes it.

SeriousIssues

Jan 6, 2010
With some variation to make it look less like it came out of some concept art for a contemporary real estate company. I mean, having everything in reds and oranges kinda leaves you outside of the story, I think the environments should be grittier.
Other than that, just a bit of gameplay tweaking and some new destructable environments or like additions would spice up a sequel.

gyllybug

Apr 29, 2011
Phoenix_XIII said:
Agreed. My girlfriend watched Zero Punctuation and she said he shredded Left 4 Dead to pieces and I vowed never to listen to him. But then I watched it and laughed my lungs out of my body and now I watch his vids every day.
I prefer to take everything he says with a pinch of salt, mostly because he has a much different gaming style than I. Hell, no game reviewer is gonna be truly accurate cus everyone plays their own way. Stuff that bothers him don't bother me at all.

artanis_neravar

Apr 18, 2011
If it would help I would go buy Mirrors Edge one right now[footnote]No I wouldn't LA Noire comes out Tuesday[/footnote] I enjoyed the first one and I am really looking forward to the next one(two?)

IronicBeet

Jun 27, 2009
Necromancer Jim said:
Phoenix_XIII said:
Necromancer Jim said:
Phoenix_XIII said:
Necromancer Jim said:
Only if they improved what was wrong with the first.

Which was everything.

So probably not.
What specifically was wrong with it?
The story was horrid, the people in it can only very loosely be described as "characters", the gameplay was just short of being considered Cruel and Unusual Punishment, and so much more!
I will agree that the gameplay was a tad bit buggy and hard, but it's the first game of it's kind. It's new. It wouldn't be perfect.
Not perfect, I'd tolerate. "I'd rather be repeatedly beating my eyes against barbed spikes" I will not.
The gameplay isn't that bad. It can be kind of frustrating when it bugs out and you miss a jump you should have landed or a rail you should have grabbed, but the way you describe it makes it sound like you went in expecting it to be an RTS.

Ldude893

Apr 2, 2010
Yes, goddammit. The first game was really innovative if short; I can't wait for the sequel.

brinvixen

Mar 3, 2011
A resounding YES!

I loved Mirror's Edge, faults and all. If Mirror's Edge 2 equaled "the first Mirror's Edge minus the faults" then it would be game-gold. I would even buy it brand new, no questions asked! And I've only done that for a very limited few games.

But they'd have to keep it relatively the same. I rather liked the first-person, the fact that it wasn't mainly a shooter, and of course, the aesthetics! What a pretty game it was! So long as they kept it like that, but gave it a better (i.e. different and sensible) story, then it would be full of WIN!

(Gonna stop now before I move into complete fangirl mode. I just want this game to be made SO BADLY.)

Laser Priest

A Magpie Among Crows
Mar 24, 2011
IronicBeet said:
Necromancer Jim said:
Phoenix_XIII said:
Necromancer Jim said:
Phoenix_XIII said:
Necromancer Jim said:

Which was everything.

So probably not.
The story was horrid, the people in it can only very loosely be described as "characters", the gameplay was just short of being considered Cruel and Unusual Punishment, and so much more!
I will agree that the gameplay was a tad bit buggy and hard, but it's the first game of it's kind. It's new. It wouldn't be perfect.
Not perfect, I'd tolerate. "I'd rather be repeatedly beating my eyes against barbed spikes" I will not.
The gameplay isn't that bad. It can be kind of frustrating when it bugs out and you miss a jump you should have landed or a rail you should have grabbed, but the way you describe it makes it sound like you went in expecting it to be an RTS.
I went in expecting a game that at least was moderately entertaining.

IronicBeet

Jun 27, 2009
Necromancer Jim said:
IronicBeet said:
Necromancer Jim said:
Phoenix_XIII said:
Necromancer Jim said:
Phoenix_XIII said:
Necromancer Jim said:

Which was everything.

So probably not.
Okay, so tell me, what kinds of games do you find entertaining that makes Mirror's Edge such a steaming pile of shit in your opinion? What, specifically, about the gameplay made it so horrible?

Laser Priest

A Magpie Among Crows
Mar 24, 2011
IronicBeet said:
Necromancer Jim said:
IronicBeet said:
Necromancer Jim said:
Phoenix_XIII said:
Necromancer Jim said:
Phoenix_XIII said:
Necromancer Jim said:

Which was everything.

So probably not.
Okay, so tell me, what kinds of games do you find entertaining that makes Mirror's Edge such a steaming pile of shit in your opinion? What, specifically, about the gameplay made it so horrible?
Well, I just enjoyed my way through Portal 2. And the part of Mirror's Edge that made it shit was the part where the game wasn't fun and the fanbase refused to accept that anyone thought it wasn't fun.

Neonbob

The Noble Nuker
Dec 22, 2008
Absolutely!
Especially if they made a more gruesome sound effect for splatting on the ground.
Hearing that crunch was a stupidly fun part of the game, and made up for my experimental jumps going horribly wrong.
Oh, and the core gameplay was quite enjoyable as well.

IronicBeet

Jun 27, 2009
Necromancer Jim said:
IronicBeet said:
Necromancer Jim said:
IronicBeet said:
Necromancer Jim said:
Phoenix_XIII said:
Necromancer Jim said:
Phoenix_XIII said:
Necromancer Jim said:

Which was everything.

So probably not.
Well, I just enjoyed my way through Portal 2. And the part of Mirror's Edge that made it shit was the part where the game wasn't fun and the fanbase refused to accept that anyone thought it wasn't fun.
Okay, never mind. I'm not getting anything out of arguing with you.

viranimus

Thread killer
Nov 20, 2009
The original was an interesting attempt, but for me to get into a sequel of it, would take a LOT of stuff. Most important would be the flow, speed and control over movement, which honestly I found entirely too lacking.

There could be other things to improve as well, but this is far and away first and foremost. How can you have a parkour game that has slow movement?

berettastorm88

Apr 2, 2011
to me mirrors edge was new and mind blowing in the sense of free running all over a city,
so without a doubt i would play it in a heart beat.

Not George Carlin

Jan 11, 2011
They should probably do a few things to the game, first:

1.) Focus on substance, not style. Sure, the squeaky clean world was cool but I wish they had paid as much attention on actual gameplay.

2.) Ditch the [insert unoffensive word for "illogical" here] plot. Take the Red Steel approach and completely abandon the old plot. Sure, you'll get some flak for that but not as much as if you tried to elaborate on the confusing-ass story!

3.) Add a free roam mode. Sometimes we just want to free our minds and relax... isn't that what parkour's all about?

4.) A longer production period. EA rushed out the first one, give them a bit more time and I bet they can churn out something truly superb.

5.) No console exclusive DLC.

6.) Multiplayer, I don't want to just run around a "ghost" of someone, I want to play dirty and sneak in a few punches to slow them down.
6a.) Multiplayer modes like Capture the Flag, Deathmatch and stuff. No reason why they CAN'T include these.

7.) A more urban, less alien environment. Because it's so much cooler running around in a place like New York than it is in some uncolored building models.

TL;DR version:
Longer production, a "not stupid" plot, free roam, no exclusive DLC, multiplayer and urban environments.