Poll: If you could know your baby's sexual orientation...

irishdelinquent

Jan 29, 2008
Bright_Raven said:
wizzerd229 said:
Where is the option for the fact Homosexuality is a choice, not a matter genes.
irishdelinquent said:
Despite the fact that your sexual orientation is a choice, and not genetics-based, we'll play this game.

I would not touch the genetics of my child at all, regardless of the changes it could make. I say let nature take it's course.
wizzerd229 said:
Where is the option for the fact Homosexuality is a choice, not a matter genes.
Make sure you all choose to be straight... and choose to be blonde and 6 foot 8!

I love the utter ignorance of people, being gay is NOT A CHOICE!
Wow, 14 pages of comments and I'm back to defending my opinion. If you go back and read some of my other posts, you would notie that I fully acknowledge that homosexuality being biologically-determined is the accepted theory, and that I respect those who believe it. I also show that my belief is that homosexuality is not as simple as a "gay gene", and provide evidence that supports a theory based on nurture rather than nature. Finally, I also mention that no side has 100% proven their theory yet, and so saying that one side is right and the other side is wrong is simply false. So, given all that, I appreciate that you understand that I am not ignorant, and rather that I have a dissenting opinion.

FolkLikePanda

Apr 15, 2009
Meh, I'd make him staright, I know he's allowed to make his own decisions but I want grandkids who are blood related and not adopted and if he was gay he wouldn't do anything gay infront of me like kiss a bloke or anything (it makes me feel sick), but if it would mess him up I wouldn't change it.

kawligia

Feb 24, 2009
I have no problem with gay people. I have even had a couple friends in the past that were gay. (One moved out of state and the other died in a car crash, so no, I didn't stop being friends with them because they were gay or anything.)

But on the other hand, I'm sure I would like to have some biological grandchildren one day...so...yeah, I would change the genes.

If I was guaranteed to have other kids that would perpetuate the family, then I would be ok with not changing the one who would be gay.

Loop Stricken

Covered in bees!
Jun 17, 2009
This poll needs gender bias!

Basically I want girls in the house, so straight male or gay female will do me fine.

Eykal

Apr 17, 2008
Xojins said:
Eykal said:
goldenheart323 said:
Eykal said:
...snip...

4.)Oh, it's a theory is it? Do you know what else is a theory? Gravity. It seems to work pretty well now, doesn't it?
Um, no. Gravity is a law, not a theory.

I'm sick of people in debates responding to "it's only a theory" with "Well so is ____," as if ALL theories are equally right. To suggest all theories are equally correct is VERY flawed logic. (An that's putting it politely.)

Some theories are pretty well accepted. Some are still being debated. Just because SOME theories are 99% agreed upon by scientists doesn't mean all theories are. Some theories cannot be proven, like how the universe was created. Some theories are still being researched, and we're still learning new things about them.
No, there technically is no "law of gravitation." We still have not discovered the particle responsible (nicknamed the graviton) for gravity. Thus, gravity remains a theory. Further experiments and [hopefully] the discovery of the Higgs-Boson when the LHC comes back online may further this, but as it stands, gravity is a theory.
Gravity is not a theory, it is a factual, physical phenomenon that anyone can observe. Theories involving gravity are ones that try to explain the how and the why, not ones that question gravity's validity.

Nooo, just because you observe something doesn't make it a law. Newton observed gravity, yet he was wrong about the universe as whole (see Einstein's Theory of General Relativity). Gravity is classified as a theory. End of story. No amount of "but but but" will change that. For all we know we could be entirely wrong about how gravity works. We have not discovered WHY gravity happens, only that it does, and such, it is a THEORY. So just stop.

CptPanda29

Apr 8, 2009
Hrm... saw a thread about homosexuality, read the first and last page, noticed we're now talking about theoretical physics, chuckles a bit to myself...

OT: I wouldn't really like to know, its a big thing to come out of the closest to some people, and surprises are always nice. I wouldn't change it though whatever it was, if you can genetically modify a foetus I'd be more concerned about all the worst diseases and giving the kid gills or something awesome like that.

Xojins

Jan 7, 2008
Eykal said:
Xojins said:
Eykal said:
goldenheart323 said:
Eykal said:
...snip...

4.)Oh, it's a theory is it? Do you know what else is a theory? Gravity. It seems to work pretty well now, doesn't it?
Um, no. Gravity is a law, not a theory.

I'm sick of people in debates responding to "it's only a theory" with "Well so is ____," as if ALL theories are equally right. To suggest all theories are equally correct is VERY flawed logic. (An that's putting it politely.)

Some theories are pretty well accepted. Some are still being debated. Just because SOME theories are 99% agreed upon by scientists doesn't mean all theories are. Some theories cannot be proven, like how the universe was created. Some theories are still being researched, and we're still learning new things about them.
No, there technically is no "law of gravitation." We still have not discovered the particle responsible (nicknamed the graviton) for gravity. Thus, gravity remains a theory. Further experiments and [hopefully] the discovery of the Higgs-Boson when the LHC comes back online may further this, but as it stands, gravity is a theory.
Gravity is not a theory, it is a factual, physical phenomenon that anyone can observe. Theories involving gravity are ones that try to explain the how and the why, not ones that question gravity's validity.

Nooo, just because you observe something doesn't make it a law. Newton observed gravity, yet he was wrong about the universe as whole (see Einstein's Theory of General Relativity). Gravity is classified as a theory. End of story. No amount of "but but but" will change that. For all we know we could be entirely wrong about how gravity works. We have not discovered WHY gravity happens, only that it does, and such, it is a THEORY. So just stop.
You didn't read what I said. Gravity itself is not a theory. Gravity is the attraction of objects of smaller mass to objects of very large mass. It happens without fail. There's no question of whether gravity exists/if it happens. It does, period. Theories only try to explain how and why it happens, they don't challenge the fact that it happens.

Rylingo

Aug 13, 2008
If the gene exists and could be changed i would make him/her straight. Not because i dislike homosexuals but because i think straight people have an easier life and get less bulshit thrown at them by ignorant idiots. I wouldn't want to put my child through the horrible things that are said and done against homosexuals in this current society.