Poll: I'll Save You, Little Turret from "Portal 2"!

Adrian Madhog

Feb 23, 2011
I'm a very, very, very manly man.... ok, with that said OH MY GAWD THE POOR LITTLE TURRETS THEY'RE ALL GOING TO DIE I WANT TO SAVE THEM! A-hem, yes... I tend to be a pretty sensible guy when I'm put in front of good characterization and story-telling (or at least what I consider them to be good). I was overwhelmed by guilt and sadness when I HAD to kill some of those cute little turrets from "Portal 2" (I'm still playing the game so don't you spoil it for me please), I mean, come on! They all have this innocent, harmless voice and when they die they even say "I don't hate you"... IT'S NOT THEIR FAULT THEY WERE BUILT TO KILL!
At some point I had the chance to save one of them from the furnace, I picked her up, she thanked me and told me her name was "Caroline"... and then she evaporated within one of those anti-matter gates.... NOOOOOOOOOOO! I felt so sorry for her that I had to restart the game from the last check point in order not to accidentally kill her. I felt more sorry for her than ANY of the MGS bosses combined (which, in retrospect, thanks to a self-bloated plot, they weren't all that empatic). I almost felt like crying... almost. In fact, as far as I can remember, the only time I felt so BAD about an enemy was when I fought The King of Sorrow at the end of "Klonoa 2: Lunatea's Veil".... OH MY GAWD THAT POOR IMO BUNNY OF SADNESS!
In order to get to the point as fast as possible, here's a rough list of anime, movies and games that made me cry in no particular order:

Movies:

Up
Wall-E
Toy Story 3
The Land Before Time (LITTLE FOOT'S MUM!)
An American Tail;
Bambi (BAMBI'S MUM!!!);
Kick Ass and Scott Pilgrim Vs. The World (tears of joy in this case)

Anime:

Code Geass
Angel Beat
Saikano (this one is a Tear Fest)
Chrno Crusade
Hinnuzaki no Kano (I'm not sure if I'm typing this right, it's a tragic love story between two women... and it has robots XD)

Games:

Klonoa
Klonoa 2 (two best games ever)

So, what turned you into a Sad Panda? And what made you feel like a bastard?

RastaBadger

Jun 5, 2010
The end of Of Mice and Men is the only book that ever made me cry. Marley and Me is the only film. No games have made me cry.

AetherWolf

Jan 1, 2011
Yesterday, I re-watched The Last Guardian trailer for the first time in awhile.

And I teared up! Just the trailer!
Fumito Ueda has made me a big softy... D:

But really, all of Team Ico's games turn me in to an emotional wreck.

Andrew_Mac

Feb 20, 2011
I love the fact its 100% saying yes so far.

I love the little turrets in portal (refering to the title of this thread) and

*(SPOILER (but i'm sure most have already played it...))*

The little one you can save, I was trying to put it in a little box, to make as a house. but it fell down onto the cat walk. so i thought, you know what, you can come with- FRRRRTZZZZ!

i felt like a monster cos i accidently walked through an imancipation grid after i saved it... it screamed in pain and dissolved...

"i'm different..."
you sure are little buddy. :'(

Hungry Donner

Henchman
Mar 19, 2009
I don't have any problems with games that are just trying to be fun. However if you're going to have a real story emotional depth helps considerably, and emotional breadth can be good as well.

Mike Richards

Nov 28, 2009
Strangely enough the only game to really make me truly sad was World of Goo, because there's no way to get all the gooballs out. Every time you place one you're basically asking it to sacrifice itself, which would be a weird position to be in regardless of the fact that the goo is just so damn cute. You can't help but sympathize with them and their plight

Adrian Madhog

Feb 23, 2011
Andrew_Mac said:

The little one you can save, I was trying to put it in a little box, to make as a house. but it fell down onto the cat walk. so i thought, you know what, you can come with- FRRRRTZZZZ!

i felt like a monster cos i accidently walked through an imancipation grid after i saved it... it screamed in pain and dissolved...

"i'm different..."
EXACTLY!

FarleShadow

Oct 31, 2008
Wow. I mean, I saved the different turret, but I didn't get all weepy when he met his fate in an E-grid, maybe because it was better than the other option: A long and slow death as his fusion powercell decays.

Incidently, I did sv_cheats 1, noclip and portal him to the turret template room. I figured I could use him instead of the faulty turrets. Turns out, he just switches to a broken turret template when hes mounted.

BrEnNo1023

Mar 18, 2009
Did you listen to the *rest* of what the different turret had to say? It has some interesting stuff to say.
I thought of the turrets as heaters...you know that tilt feature new ones have? they shut down when they fall over. I tried not dropping any of them in acid or putting them through emancipation grills as much as possible, just nudging over as many as i could :p
Have fun playing the game. What do you think of it insofar? I thought it was absolutely amazing. Wheatley, that bloody moron, is funny as hell; GLaDOS is even more brutally witty and scathing than she was before, Cave Johnson is a good laugh, and the puzzles are so freakin hard. The game is like 2 times longer than portal 1, with 10x the game mechanics. My mind was blown by Portal 2...I don't know whether i want MORE, or whether i'm content to let the happy thoughts of its brilliant story and unique gameplay sit in my Steam library and my memory forever.

it's okay, I'm a bloke and I cried in Wall-E too I mean I nearly cried, it was heart-wrenching stuff.

Andrew_Mac

Feb 20, 2011
Adrian Madhog said:
Andrew_Mac said:

"i'm different..."
EXACTLY!

Its the saddest part in any game i've played. I fell in love with that little turret. Its a relationship that would never have worked, but we didn't care...

No, really, it is the saddest thing i've done in a game. When i play through it again (which i'm now doing on my laptop due to having the ps3 version) i'm going to save it and put it in one of the boxes and LEAVE IT THERE!!!

I <3 Broken turret!

Emilin_Rose

Aug 8, 2009
I sad panda'd at the end of Rhapsody, and the end of Yoshi's Story made me cry tears of cute.

Beyond that though, I don't think i've sad panda'd in a long time. A little at the "true end" of the Nights sequel, but beyond that i'm mostly emotionally dead so i don't get sad anymore.

Though when i saw the new my little pony i almost sad panda'd, because i've always hated the work of the creator and now she was ruining part of my childhood. But eh. dead inside. don't really care about anything anymore.

I think this is the closest thing that will ever come to getting me to sad panda

Rossmallo

Feb 20, 2008
The ending of Pokemon Mystery Dungeon 2, if you've been through the whole game before it.

Seriously, just looking it up on Youtube dulls the effect. You have to experience the whole game before it's proper weight hits you.

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
Katamari always gets me emotional: all those kittens & babies I rolled up being immolated in the birth of a new star: beautiful yet heartbreaking.

It?s good to have an engrossing story you can emotionally invest yourself in but games never do it very well. I?ve been using R*?s recent titles like gta4 & rdr as examples: every time they try and make me cry, they end up making me laugh.
I think Badgersprite said it best in one of my recent threads:
badgersprite said:
A lot of games would have way better stories if game devs weren't shoe horning in such adolescent drama in an attempt to seem "deep". It's funny how 90% of the time, it's games that don't take themselves too seriously which seem to end up being far less juvenile than the ones that ape at being "mature" and the "kiddie" immature games which having far more mature storytelling.

Beowulf DW

Jul 12, 2008
Bit of a spoiler for anyone who hasn't played Mass Effect:

In the Bring Down the Sky mission, I initially chose to sacrifice the hostages and kill the terrorist. It seemed like the logical choice: kill 7 and save thousands. But when I saw the charred and carbonized corpses of the hostages, I almost vomited. What I had done was so opposed to my own moral code that I unconsciously made myself sick. After spending 5 minutes bent over a toilet, I reset my game and replayed the two hours worth of play since my last save just to alter my decision.

All right. Moving on.

Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker was sheer and unbridled joy to me. Link's quest to save his little sister really hit home for me. I have two little sisters, and I would do anything to keep them from harm; as such, I could really sympathize with the fact that the entire game is started by a brother's desire to protect his sister, not some grand old prophecy. Additionally, the sailing and exploration portions reminded me of the times I spent on my grandfather's boat as a child, learning to fish, sail and swim...*sigh*

EDIT: The ending theme of "Clannad" made me cry. It was so cute, and it was about family, and being together with others, and I was at college away from my family and my grandfather had just died...*sniffle*

Adrian Madhog

Feb 23, 2011
Emilin_Rose said:
I sad panda'd at the end of Rhapsody, and the end of Yoshi's Story made me cry tears of cute.

Beyond that though, I don't think i've sad panda'd in a long time. A little at the "true end" of the Nights sequel, but beyond that i'm mostly emotionally dead so i don't get sad anymore.

Though when i saw the new my little pony i almost sad panda'd, because i've always hated the work of the creator and now she was ruining part of my childhood. But eh. dead inside. don't really care about anything anymore.

I think this is the closest thing that will ever come to getting me to sad panda

Since I like Laure Faust accomplishments and the new My Little Pony... I won't comment on that. There advantages in being emotionally dead... look at Yathzee! (Irony)

LadyMint

Apr 22, 2010
The turret wasn't telling you its name. It was giving you some semi-important information that you would cross-reference later in the game. Also, you didn't have to carry it through the emancipation grill. I set it down on the catwalk near the grill so it didn't have to "die."

My heart clenches when put in certain situations and I thoroughly enjoy games that put me in that position. However, I do try to be practical about it. As cute as the Turret voices are in the Portal series, that does not stop me from destroying them as quickly as possible. I only saved that one because A) it didn't try to shoot me when I was in its sights, B) it asked politely, and C) there was an achievement involved. I only started to feel bad for turrets as a whole when the game went into more detail about the facility, making all the robots seem like they were under the oppressive regime of a heartless dictator. In the end, though, the turrets are programmed to kill on sight, so I'd be a fool to let their cutesy calls lull me into a false sense of security.

That aside, it doesn't take much to make me misty-eyed. That first trailer for Dead Island was definitely heart-wrenching for me, and I don't even have kids. Whether a person is real or fictional, if I can get an idea of the emotion they're going through via their facial expression, body language, and (not quite as often) the tone of their voice, my empathy kicks in pretty quickly.

Adrian Madhog

Feb 23, 2011
BrEnNo1023 said:
Did you listen to the *rest* of what the different turret had to say? It has some interesting stuff to say.
I thought of the turrets as heaters...you know that tilt feature new ones have? they shut down when they fall over. I tried not dropping any of them in acid or putting them through emancipation grills as much as possible, just nudging over as many as i could :p
Have fun playing the game. What do you think of it insofar? I thought it was absolutely amazing. Wheatley, that bloody moron, is funny as hell; GLaDOS is even more brutally witty and scathing than she was before, Cave Johnson is a good laugh, and the puzzles are so freakin hard. The game is like 2 times longer than portal 1, with 10x the game mechanics. My mind was blown by Portal 2...I don't know whether i want MORE, or whether i'm content to let the happy thoughts of its brilliant story and unique gameplay sit in my Steam library and my memory forever.

it's okay, I'm a bloke and I cried in Wall-E too I mean I nearly cried, it was heart-wrenching stuff.
Up until now, those puzzles were so umbelievably funny, although not that difficult if you ask me, then againI grew up with PC adventure games so I have some experience in dealing with logical puzzles... or maybe I'm A GOD!!!!! No, seriously, I'm currently stuck in the first chamber featuring that bloody red goo thingy.

Adrian Madhog

Feb 23, 2011
LadyMint said:
The turret wasn't telling you its name. It was giving you some semi-important information that you would cross-reference later in the game. Also, you didn't have to carry it through the emancipation grill. I set it down on the catwalk near the grill so it didn't have to "die."

My heart clenches when put in certain situations and I thoroughly enjoy games that put me in that position. However, I do try to be practical about it. As cute as the Turret voices are in the Portal series, that does not stop me from destroying them as quickly as possible. I only saved that one because A) it didn't try to shoot me when I was in its sights, B) it asked politely, and C) there was an achievement involved. I only started to feel bad for turrets as a whole when the game went into more detail about the facility, making all the robots seem like they were under the oppressive regime of a heartless dictator. In the end, though, the turrets are programmed to kill on sight, so I'd be a fool to let their cutesy calls lull me into a false sense of security.

That aside, it doesn't take much to make me misty-eyed. That first trailer for Dead Island was definitely heart-wrenching for me, and I don't even have kids. Whether a person is real or fictional, if I can get an idea of the emotion they're going through via their facial expression, body language, and (not quite as often) the tone of their voice, my empathy kicks in pretty quickly.
I immediately restarted the game from the last save point when I realized the horrible thing I did to that turret (the poor thing). Yes, I know who "Caroline" was, but at the time it felt as if the tiny robot was actually telling me her name, thus establishing a relationship... that's why it felt as double as bad.
On the third paragraph, I agree on that. The good thing about visual media is that the most complex feelings can be perceived through body language... unless, of course, we're talking about Shakespeare and the Modern European Theatre in general, that is :)