Poll: I'm Batman.

Souplex

Souplex Killsplosion Awesomegasm
Jul 29, 2008
So for those of you who are unaware, DC had itself a little reboot.
In this reboot, Batman has been given four of the 52 new titles. (If you count his affiliates such as NightWing, BatGirl, BatWoman, Teen Titans having Red Robin in it, Batwing, and Red Hood, there are actually ten I can think of) Two of these titles have decided to go in the ultra-gritty direction, which I don't approve of. Someone must approve of it though, or they wouldn't do it. As such, I must ask: How gritty do you like your Batman?
Alternate clip (Although the two clips are from different movies, so less alternate than you think):
Alternate clip courtesy of [user]SavageZion[/user]:

Ursus Buckler

Apr 15, 2011
Chris Nolan Batman. No freaking contest. If it was that version of Batman in Arkham City it'd be perfect, I really hate the version they go with.

the spud

May 2, 2011
I am going with adam west just because his voice is like my ears are having an orgasm, but I like the Tim Burton batman too.

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009
The 93' Bruce Timm/Paul Dini Batman cartoon. That level anyway.

Got to say its a nice balance between the fun, wacky villainy and the seriousness. I do like my grim, gritty Batman as well but I got to go with the awesomeness inherent to semi-serious Batman.

an874

Jul 17, 2009
You know 93' and 98' as well as Arkham Asylum's and Arkham City's Batman are all voiced by Kevin Conroy. It's hard to decide between 93 and 98.

tomvw

Feb 5, 2009
I've always been a big fan of the animated series version of Batman (the original, although the later once are pretty good too). There was a good mix of serious and silly in those shows, a good balance between the old and the new, IMO.
On a sidenote, I did like Miller's Batman in Year One and Dark Knight too a certain degree, but All-Star was just stupid, immature and stupid (did I mention stupid, if not, stupid).

OmniscientOstrich

Jan 6, 2011
Hand me down...the shark repellent, bat spray...love that, especially with no one operating the helicopter and the shark explodes for some reason...but yeah, I like the Christopher Nolan films, they easily have the most amount of depth, style and intelligence of any Batman adaptation even if Christian Bale's voice does kind of grate on you.

Souplex

Jul 29, 2008
Queen Michael said:
I want my Batman Neal Adams style.

Or failing that, Grant Morrison.
Can you give those a number on the scale I provided in the poll?

EvilPicnic

Sep 9, 2009
In defence of Frank Miller, Year One and TDKR are the two best Batman comic books in my opinion, and pretty much sum up who Batman should be at the beginning and end of his career. They should be read (and probably have) by every single Batman fan.

However...

His All-Star monstrosity and every other racist, lazily drawn piece of shite that Miller releases as a comic book should be thrown away and/or used as loo-roll.

Leemaster777

Feb 25, 2010
Have to go with option 4, the Bruce Timm/Paul Dini Batman. Gritty, but not without forgetting the fun.

Souplex

Jul 29, 2008
EvilPicnic said:
In defence of Frank Miller, Year One and TDKR are the two best Batman comic books in my opinion, and pretty much sum up who Batman should be at the beginning and end of his career. They should be read (and probably have) by every single Batman fan.

However...

His All-Star monstrosity and every other racist, lazily drawn piece of shite that Miller releases as a comic book should be thrown away and/or used as loo-roll.
We're not talking about quality here, we're talking about grittyness. As far as I'm aware DKR is pretty damn gritty, but I wasn't familiar enough with it to provide an example from it, which is why I provided the ASBAR panel.

Queen Michael

has read 4,010 manga books
Jun 9, 2009
Souplex said:
Queen Michael said:
I want my Batman Neal Adams style.

Or failing that, Grant Morrison.
Can you give those a number on the scale I provided in the poll?
Hm, I guess I could try... Morrison has such a mix of unseriousness that he's impossible to peg down on the scale. Neal Adams, on the other hand, is a 3 & 4.

Sonicron

Do the buttwalk!
Mar 11, 2009
Gotta go with the Timm/Dini incarnation. The animated series was still a bit tacky/campy for my taste in the beginning, but once it moved into season 2, i.e. once it officially became 'The Adventures of Batman & Robin' (you could tell from the costume redesigns), the series adopted a darker tone, which was very much to my liking. Batman himself appeared to regain some levity of character once he moved over into Justice League, but he compensated for the lack of grittyness with extra coolness, which was also fine.