Poll: In the States you can have a drivers license at 16. That is much too young.

Merkavar

Aug 21, 2010
DustyDrB said:
Compared to where I grew up? Yes. Last time I checked, my hometown had a population of 214. Neighboring towns are just around 1,000.
Yeah, just look up "Vance, South Carolina" on Google Maps (how do you link to the map? The url still just says "maps.google.com/" for me after I looked up the location). Behold the endless fields...

Looking at that...no wonder I hated my childhood and adolescence so much. There was never a god damned thing to do.
ok maybe a town with 214 people you do need a license. but in a town that small do you have any law enforcement?

Jacco

May 1, 2011
One Hit Noob said:
But if people get their driver's licence, say age 24, people will be just as inexperienced coorect?
Yes, but notice that I quantified my statement with "younger." At 24 your reasoning skills and maturity level are more developed and thus leads to better judgement behind the wheel.

Hamish Durie

Apr 30, 2011
Jacco said:
The kicker is that this isn't just a one time thing. I see teenagers do stupid things behind the wheel all the damn time, whether its showing off for their friends or just being an idiot. They don't seem to realize that more often than not, if they cause an accident, it will be the other person who pays a bigger price. I did my fair share of stupid things behind the wheel when I was in high school and looking back now (I'm 21) I will be the first to tell you none of us were ready for that responsibility.

If you're too lazy to read all of that, basically I decided that 16 is too young to drive because I almost died the other day thanks to a stupid 16 year old girl.

If you live in the States, what is your opinion? If you live outside the States, what is your opinion? How does it work where you live?
well i call it natural selection

katsumoto03

Feb 24, 2010
I see many middle-aged moms with shittier driving than these teens. I say we don't let women drive.

Funkysandwich

Contra Bassoon
Jan 15, 2010
I don't think age is a problem so much as driver education. If drivers were better prepared and the licence test was more strict, I'd be happy to let 14 year olds get their Learners permits.

The only way to ensure we have safer drivers is to make sure that people actually know how to drive before we let them on the raod. The only way to do that is through better driver education and training.

Baby Tea

Just Ask Frankie
Sep 18, 2008
I'm a Canadian, and I like our licensing laws.
When you're 16, you get get what is called a G1. This allows you to only drive with someone who has been driving with a fully graduated license (Called a G) for 4 years or more. So, really: Mom and dad. You cannot drive without them. You also cannot drive on highways, or after midnight, or before 5 am.

You must have your G1 for a minimum of 12 months before you can get your G2, though that can be reduced to 8 months (I think) if you take a driver's education course.

With your G2, all the restrictions are lifted in terms of driving with an 'adult'. You can't have more then 1 peer as a passenger between midnight and 5 am for the first 6 months, however, and you can't have more then 3 peers as passengers during that time after 6 months.

You must also have your G2 for a minimum of 12 months.

This system is pretty good, in my opinion. It forces you to drive with someone who, hopefully, has a better understanding of driving before you get out on your own.

I will say, though, that I recently got my motorcycle. I love it, and I think everyone should learn to drive on them. You don't really 'get' how fast 60 km/h (30-35 Mph) is until the only thing between you and the pavement (And serious injury) is the little machine between your legs. Me driving my bike has made me a better car-driver in so many ways.

Also, riding a motorbike is freaking awesome.
Love it.

So I don't think 16 is too young, so long as the right system is in place.

Quid Plura

Apr 27, 2010
I think it depends on the standards, and not the age. I've seen people in the US get their license driving like an idiot.

That said, I think it should be raised to 18, mainly because I don't see the point of people driving at 16. And considering weight, buying a bicycle may be the better choice.

Robert Ewing

Mar 2, 2011
Jacco said:
Robert Ewing said:
I went to America once, and one of the major things I realized is that the roads there are extremely simple compared to European roads. I'm British, and the drivers licence age is 17. I'm fine with that, I believe it fits perfectly. And although the crash rate for 17 year old new drivers is high, it's not high enough to warrant a reason to increase the age limit.

American roads are big, simple, and fairly high quality. For this, it requires a lot less skill in driving. The fact that most American cars are automatic helps as well. 16 is fine for American roads. If America had the same sort of roads with have in Europe, ie pot holes, massive bends, hills with a 9001% gradient, crazy narrow country roads, always some form of wildlife giving birth on the roads, crazy motorways, highways, autobahns. The list goes on

Bottom line is, European drivers have a lot more to deal with. American roads are easier to drive on, so why should the age be lower?
How are things more complicated in Europe? I don't imagine driving is that different no matter where you go. Aside from driving in opposite lanes, of course.
Driving on the opposite side is easy once you get used to it. But trust me, every aspect of driving in Europe (mainly western Europe) is extremely hard. Not to mention that European drivers are famous for being crash magnets. Terrible road conditions. Terrible road locations. It's just the fact that everything is so old, and so medieval, literally. Driving in America was the easiest drive I've ever done. Driving in places like France, Italy- Hardest thing ever.