Poll: In your opinon, what is the worst aspect of online gaming?

Wapox

Feb 4, 2010
Is it allowed to say: "All of the above" ?

Kids..
Racists..
Homophobic/Religious ppl..
Campers..
Team Killers... <-- That might be the worst tho..
And.. you know... the.. uhm... OMG U SUCK!! n00b!!..

Those people ^

veloper

Jan 20, 2009
Griefers and weak teams

You can just switch off all the yelling, but you cannot make others play better. I'll vote team killers.

Dreiko_v1legacy

Aug 28, 2008
I suppose if I thought it over, I'd vote for "other", that being people who don't want to play you if you're "too good", even though I may be taking it easy or just want some more relaxed experience or just use a character I've just began using. There's always a few who just see how good you are with your main and just refuse to fight you.

chemistry35

Jan 8, 2010
When I'm playing a MOBA, and get yelled at for dying to a gank that wasn't called MIA.
Also, micspammers and people who hate me for having...well, not the deepest voice.

JackWestJr

Apr 9, 2011
All of the above.

There will, unfortunatly, never be a competitive online game where these things don't accur. Unfortunatly, again, it is only human to be proud and want to be triumphant over others.

Derek_the_Dodo

Sep 28, 2010
I pressed other and it's really a combination of all of the above. although I especially hate it when people want to win no matter what, as opposed to trying to test their skill face to face. sure, in a real life combat situation im sure many people would choose tactics to ensure a win at the expense of their fun.

As an example, I was playing GTA4 online yesterday and having great fun in freeroam with a couple of friends making up our own game modes and things. we then thought that we would swap to cops and crooks and we were surprised to find a fair amount of people in the lobby (surprising for a game that's been out for over 3 years).

Now, for those who don't know, this is a game mode where the crooks have to escape to a specific getaway vehicle (either helicopter or boat) marked on their map, and the cops have to try and stop them getting to the getaway vehicle without actually knowing where it is.

The getaway vehicle location is randomised, but there are only a few possible places it can spawn which is relatively easy to work out by noting where the crooks spawn and what direction they start heading in.

What most people do as cops is head straight for the RPG, assault rifle and helicopter and fly to each possible location until they find the getaway vehicle at which point they'll either a) camp out and kill anyone who comes to the getaway vehicle. b) park the getaway vehicle somewhere inaccessible and then camp or c) destroy the getaway vehicle on sight.

and as crooks all they do is swim to the middle of the ocean out of range or head for a helicopter.

As well as this, any sort of team based objective game your average team mate is completely hopeless. Now not hopeless as in a lack of skill, but hopeless in a lack of teamwork. I can't count the amount of times that I have carried the enemies flag across the entire map at a painstakingly slow pace whilst my team mates whiz past in the opposite direction in vehicles with passenger seats. A few times I've been killed at the last hurdle just outside our base and yet still no one thinks to pick up the flag and walk the last few feet.

Henkie36

Aug 25, 2010
The worst are cheaters/hackers. I can withstand children, campers, racists, and only pick servers without teamkilling.

adderseal

Nov 20, 2009
Day of Defeat Source has a good way of sorting out team killers- if you get nailed by a teammate a box pops up asking you what you'd like to happen to them. You can choose to send a warning if it wasn't deliberate, or instakill them if it was.
But the worst is hackers. I jump across a small gap and instantly get my head blown off by a sniper halfway across the map. And it happens again, and again, and again. No fun at all.

Odbarc

Elite Member
Jun 30, 2010
Bad players who take no responsibility as if they are the best and could do no foul.

Polaris19

Aug 12, 2010
The people who cheat/run their mouths/make racist or harmful comments.

I'd rather play single player these days, I can't play a game without friends where people treat each other very well. I usually just keep the chat off in multiplayer because people are to busy swearing their heads off or making direct insults.

Mr Thin

Apr 4, 2010
The attitude that if something is possible using the mechanics of the game, that it's a fair and reasonable thing to do.

Congratulations, you found a way to be an annoying asshole without technically breaking the rules. Am I supposed to be impressed? You're still an annoying asshole.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
community is both worst and best aspect of online gaming. if you got good community (like eve online) - you will have a lot of fun. if you have bad community (like call of duty) the game will feel bad.

Jun 11, 2008
So many things here is but a few as there is not just 1 thing. People who curse and mic spam random noises this is pretty standard.

People who hack, grief, teabag or whatever and if you have ever played in a game with hackers or have had people grief you in a MMORPGs then you know what I am talking about.

People who abuse cheap strategies or weapons and basically just think they are the best ever and I should have to adapt to an imba weapon or skill. No just because it is in the game doesn't make it 100% right to use that is why developers go back and balance things because they realise they fucked up(BC2 M60 or one of the LMGs is a great example of this. Also one for all you Guild Wars players does anyone remember the Sin build that used to spam Signet of Judgement and Signet of Toxic Shock, Entangling Asp and Dancing Daggers? Don't get me started on Touchers back in Factions.) Unfortunately this comes from being trying to be competitive when the game is not truly competitive as unless you are on a clan ladder the game is not competitive and just a friendly with PUGs.

Camping really depends on the game type and where and how they are camping. Sniping no problem but spawn camping not cool as well as unnecessarily camping in a room as in you didn't mean to get stuck there but the enemy team keeps rushing in.

J_Monsterface

Aug 8, 2011
nothing at all! (cept maybe bad connections or inability to find a party)

i dont play online much anymore, but i must admit that when i do (and did), i am (was) specifically seeking out most of the things on that list

its a harsh and ridiculous projection of our cultures immaturity, and it is more fun than anything ever

not only that, its not all hilarious mountains of frustration, sometimes those douche bags really shine

even the racists and teamkillers and child-swearers are dedicated and creative and elegant in their work

playing modern warfare 2 online was my introduction current generation games (i had strayed from games for many years to do things like have sex and go to college) and as a learning tool it is brutal and revelatory

i understand all you classy people want a place to go and play serious games, and you should have that, but i hope these things always have a place in games too

if you can get good in the midst of all that craziness, then you can get really good

and if you wanna vent your own horribleness, its a good place to do that

Harlemura

Ace Defective
May 1, 2009
The people who play one game, and nothing but that game, for almost every hour of the day. They get so unbelievably good that people who don't play the game all that much have next to no chance of winning, thus the game ceases to be any fun.

[sub]So yeah, my problem with online gaming is "I'm not very good and I lose a lot".[/sub]

kasperbbs

Dec 27, 2009
Since i'm currently playing a mmo that requires team effort above all else i would say greedy people or idiots who defeat you just because their gear is 5 times better and act as if you have no skill because you die from 2 hits.