Poll: Internet reviewers/comedians: do you like their "epic" stuff?

chiggerwood

Lurker Extrordinaire
May 10, 2009
To be honest I'm Sweden on the whole issue. As long as they come at the end I'm fine with them, and some are entertaining.

Twenty Ninjas said:
I think they're an expression of their sadness for not being movie directors. Or something.
I don't think that's how it is for most of them, some of them? Definitely, but mostly I think it's just people messing around with their friends and having a little fun, and I can't really begrudge that.

Simonism451

Oct 27, 2008
Can you call the Redlettermedia stuff "epic", if so then in that case yes.
Usually though, it's pretty embarassing.

Vausch

Dec 7, 2009
It's not necessary to the review, but it can add a few in-jokes that give a little extra to the people that do watch them all the way through.

I do like them, and honestly for some of them the production values aren't bad for something someone does in their free time, especially Phelous. His Silent Hill Other World transition was REALLY good. Heck, at least the acting is better than most of the original SyFy movies.

SoranMBane

May 24, 2009
Occasionally the "storyline" parts can be bearable if they're very brief, but I absolutely cannot stand it when they take up a significant chunk of the video. There's just only so much badly acted, low production quality, barely-funny bullshit I can stand, especially when I only came to the video to hear a fellow nerd's opinion on some old cartoon or whatever. The storyline nonsense is pretty much the only reason I don't watch Game Overthinker, which is a shame because once Moviebob gets to the actual point of the video I usually find his opinions fairly interesting, just not enough to sit through the garbage tacked onto the beginnings.

soren7550

Overly Proud New Yorker
Dec 18, 2008
necromanzer52 said:
They aren't all bad (I loved the pearl harbour review).
You mean the one that all hinged on a joke (Pearl Harbor bombed at the box office) that had absolutely no basis in reality?

Twenty Ninjas said:
I think they're an expression of their sadness for not being movie directors. Or something.
My guess it's them trying to make up for how they were bullied/unpopular/etc., with these whole stories of how they're so great and they're our only hope.

Zachary Amaranth said:
I often wonder if it's not a lack of confidence in their own work. Like, people don't care enough about so-and-so's reviews, so so-and-so feels the need to give them something else.

Then again, they're so frequently vanity projects that it could simply be a chance to pump their egos.
That as well.

Me, I range from dislike to outright hate, especially when the whole review revolves around their stupid story, or when their story takes up more of the video than the review does.

Story

Note to self: Prooof reed posts
Sep 4, 2013
Twenty Ninjas said:
Don't like them, don't care for them, I think they detract from the videos.

I couldn't agree with this more.
I suppose I wouldn't mind them if any of them were actually good but I have yet to see any that were. Good thing I like Linkra enough to skip over his, I can't say the same for the Nostalgia Critic or Spoony. If they dominate the review video I'm unlikely to watch it much less re-watch it.

That last line is a bit harsh, but that's absolutely true. I guess they have to practice somewhere but I wish they would keep those epics separate from what they are genuinely good at.

bigfatcarp93

Mar 26, 2012
Don't watch many of the others, but honestly like the Channel Awesome anniversary specials, and I actually LOVE Linkara's storyline. Seriously, it's legitimately well-written scifi adventure.

And come on, Kickassia was awesome.

MeChaNiZ3D

Aug 30, 2011
So you don't like it when people parody the juvenile sense of 'awesome'.

Fair enough.

necromanzer52

Mar 19, 2009
soren7550 said:
necromanzer52 said:
They aren't all bad (I loved the pearl harbour review).
You mean the one that all hinged on a joke (Pearl Harbor bombed at the box office) that had absolutely no basis in reality?
Gonna be honest. I know absolutely nothing about that movie other than what I saw in that review. I just loved the way he portrayed the career of Michael Bay as a parody of passion of the christ, concluding that he is indeed the son of shlock.

Queen Michael

has read 4,010 manga books
Jun 9, 2009
bigfatcarp93 said:
Don't watch many of the others, but honestly like the Channel Awesome anniversary specials, and I actually LOVE Linkara's storyline. Seriously, it's legitimately well-written scifi adventure.

And come on, Kickassia was awesome.
I agree with all this 100%.

Funny thing, though, is that while I love The Big Picture and bought and liked Moviebob's book, I've never watched The Game Overthinker. What kind of storylines does he do there?

Timmaaaah

Aug 8, 2009
Laaaame in my opinion. If it were say, a reviewing show with good, funny actors then sure I could be down.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
chiggerwood said:
To be honest I'm Sweden on the whole issue.
Oh, are people finally not saying they are Switzerland about things? Honestly, of all the neutral nations to use...

NoeL

May 14, 2011
Can't stand them, but I can usually suffer through them for the sake of the review (except for Game Overthinker - it's just way too much crap... I feel embarrassed for Bob watching it).

James Rolfe is definitely at his funniest when he's just some nerd ragging on a shitty game, and while his newest episodes are a step in the right direction of getting back to that simplicity they're still overacted and forced. I'm cautiously optimistic about the movie, but mainly because Kevin Finn seems like a funny guy and the movie looks like much more of a team collaboration rather than just James and ************ Mike goofing around. I'm not expecting it to be, nor do I think it was ever intended to be an extended AVGN episode, but rather its own feature.

I haven't watched much of Linkara's stuff though I've seen him pop up in Doug's show every now and then. If it's well written sci-fi I might give it a look.

Oh I forgot! The one show where I think this works well is Board James. While Crossfire is still hands down the best episode, I think Mr. Bucket and Dream Phone are legitimately hilarious and competently made horror spoofs.

Queen Michael

has read 4,010 manga books
Jun 9, 2009
thaluikhain said:
chiggerwood said:
To be honest I'm Sweden on the whole issue.
Oh, are people finally not saying they are Switzerland about things? Honestly, of all the neutral nations to use...
...there are better ones to use than the people who merrily cooperated with Herr Hitler during WWII.

Yeah, the reason I don't ever say that I'm proud of my country isn't only because it's bizarre to be proud of other people's accomplishments.

T'Generalissimo

Nov 9, 2008
I have to suffer through enough horribly written "epic" story-lines when playing games, I certainly don't need or want them in reviews too.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
I hate 'm.

They smack of the reviewer wanting to make what they review, instead of simply reviewing it. TGWTG suffers horrendously from this, which is why I just never watch that channel anymore. That and every reviewer on that site has homogenized into the Nostalgia Critic formula.

It reminds me of that speech Anton Ego gave in Ratatouille; "The average piece of junk is probably more meaningful than our criticism designating itself." And all these big name internet reviewers know this, which is why they want to make their own original material. The only problem being that they don't have much talent for it. Though many don't have much talent for reviewing and comedy either.

Multi-Hobbyist

Oct 26, 2009
More than hating the people who continuously like (support) that crap, I hate the comedians themselves for thinking its good. I get it, if you're going to put a camera on you, you might as well have fun right? After all, it's your sandbox, your rules. But christ, if I wanted to watch something equivalent to a Jr. high school intro to video class project, I'd go watch a Jr. high school intro to video class project. These gits need to take a step back and refocus where their comedic priorities and sense of humor lies.