Poll: Is Commander Shepard (male) coming out of the closet in your game?

Gsmoove

May 24, 2010
So if you hadn't heard already, Bioware has announced that there will be same sex relationships in Mass Effect 3, personally having played the first two games I can say with some confidence that Jason Shepard, Earthborn thug turned war hero ect. won't suddenly ask Jacob to come to bed, especially with the reapers just around the corner.

Although I may play through the series again forgoing all relationships until ME3 which would make more sense for a character arc. When I first heard the news I was a little perturbed that Bioware would just suddenly make all my character development do a complete 180 just to pander to a wider audience but until I get more information about it I can't be against it, I just hope its not cheesy or too preachy because at the end of the day I play games to have fun not to be lectured.

Anyway here's poll, just to see where everyone is at.

Friendshipandmagic

May 13, 2011
Mine can't come out of the closet, she was gay in the first game.

I don't care what anyone has to say on that either, the Asari are an all female race it said so in the codex. Therefore my Femshep was gay.

Didn't choose a romance in the second game either, can't wait to see if her loyalty is paying off.

Friendshipandmagic

May 13, 2011
Dulcinea said:
Who is this male Shepard? I do not know of them.
Male Shepard is the one some people try playing at first and get turned off my his voice actor.

I kidding, a little. The voice actor for Femshep did a much better job imo.

Fanboy

Oct 20, 2008
Where is the option for "Yes and No". I don't play one Shepard. I guess I'll just put "maybe" then.

One of my femsheps is in a romance with Liara, so she is already out of the closet. As for Male, it really depends on the love interest. If it's anything like Jacob it's unlikely he'll be marching in the space pride parade.

So yeah, really depends on the love interest.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Oh hell. It's another one of these threads, except it's wearing a different hat.

"Oh dear God, no! They are getting the gay all over my game! They're going to make me defend fags! It's all so horrible, my sexual identity is being comprimised even as we speak! Waaaaaah!"

Um, anyway...

My main Shepard is female.

And hooked up with Liara.

And stayed loyal.

So where the hell does that leave her/me?

Corpse XxX

Jan 19, 2009
I played female shepard on my second run through on ME2, and hopefully she will come out of the closet for some L word action!

Twilight_guy

Sight, Sound, and Mind
Nov 24, 2008
No. My guy Shepard likes the ladies. Specifically the alien ladies. I think he actually might be the opposite of Xenophobic and a bit too happy to stick his dick in it. My female Shepard is my renegade character so she's a cold hearted ***** who would never admit it to herself anyways. No homosexual action for my Shepard... QQ. Maybe I'll make a new one. Hooray for the power of games and multiple saves.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Friendshipandmagic said:
Didn't choose a romance in the second game either, can't wait to see if her loyalty is paying off.
Okay, I just have to ask. Have you played through Lair of the Shadow Broker?

Fwee

Sep 23, 2009
I have multiple playthroughs with different Shepards. One could definitely turn out gay, but only if the story turns that way. I'm not going to force it just because it's an option. You see, my first Shepard was female and wound up with what's-her-name, the blue alien in the first one. But she kind-of snubbed me in the second game, and I wound up getting close to the grasshopper assassin. It didn't get physical, I guess because I didn't say the right thing at the right time. Whatever. His loss. I was going to totally ruin him.

UberNoodle

Apr 6, 2010
I really don't understand the controversy about this. It's the third game and features get added. The option to be gay is a gameplay feature more than it is a story feature. That being said, the Mass Effects are role playing games, and you have no more obligation to be gay than you do to be a renegade, or a woman, for that matter.

The games already provide several relationship options, and therefore options to win as well as break hearts. If that's what 'your Shep would do', then do it. I was never interested in Miranda, so I didn't romance her. Simple as that. As a female Shep, I chose Liara. Kaidan annoyed me.

Imagine if the first game only had paragon bonuses, and then the second game added renegade ones. Would we get threads upon threads about how the series was ruined because 'my Shep is a paragon not a renegade"?

My main Shep isn't gay because that's how I imagine him to be, but if I ever wanted to change that, all I have to do is ROLE PLAY that change into existence, just as I could role play a shift to renegade, or a decision to cheat on Liara.

So, in summary ...

ROLE PLAYING GAME.

Role playing.

Game.

Jan 23, 2010
Well, if they make Garrus a male romance option...

HELL

FUCKING

YES

My Shepard doesn't stay true to anyone, he samples a member out of every species. He's gonna get murdered in ME3 for being a cheating bastard. And think of all the crazy alien STD he's bound to pick up... :(

badgersprite

[--SYSTEM ERROR--]
Sep 22, 2009
I already play a fem!Shep who exclusively hooks up with chicks.

I do have a male character saved somewhere on my console, but I'm not sure I ever completed with him. Besides, he was kind of a douchenozzle the way I played him, so I'm not sure I particularly want to continue with that character.

If I do a replay of Mass Effect and ME2 in anticipation of ME3, then I'll probably do it as a male. In that case, yeah, maybe he'll turn out to be gay or bisexual. Can't say in advance.

CleverNickname

Sep 19, 2010
My MaleShep has the face of a model-twink, is sensitive, understands women and tells Jack she doesn't have to fuck everything... but he still fucks her, loves Tali and doesn't flirt with Garrus.

Because for me there is nothing more alluring than a perfectly lovely straight man. I fall for them all the time, so naturally I made Sheperd into one.

Though I suppose, unlike real straight men, he wouldn't actually say No to some manlove.......

manythings

Nov 7, 2009
Friendshipandmagic said:
Mine can't come out of the closet, she was gay in the first game.

I don't care what anyone has to say on that either, the Asari are an all female race it said so in the codex. Therefore my Femshep was gay.

You can't have females in a monogendered race. People would apply terms like "she", "her", etc. because of anthropomophising them. They are all its.

OT: Gay Shepard is gay and will happily kick your teeth in if you have an issue with that.

Am I the only one who noticed that in the case of the "Bisexualising" of characters only matters outside the game? In the game if Shepard is a man, then the characters who are gay are gay and the women are straight, and vice versa. The Normandy isn't becoming Caligula's fucking palace.

Secondly why are homosexuals less legitimate? I've been seeing this when there are gay characters then they are problematic for people.

Fire Daemon

Quoth the Daemon
Dec 18, 2007
Yeah, I envisioned my first male renegade Shep as gay, or at least Bi, but also a very by the book soldier type character, so I don't know if I'll woo whatever gay characters they give us. Depends on the situation I guess.

Also, I hope to God that they don't have him come out of the space closet, but rather just let the player have a same sex relationship without making a big deal about it and treating it like a normal thing. Don't even have an NPC comment on the relationship unless they would also comment on a straight relationship. Seeing a show the first two games had the ability for Lesbian relationships without going "OMFG You are teh Gayz!?!!?!?!?!??!" I have a feeling this will be done well.

Speaking of the Asari and Kelly, why do people care so much? The Mass Effect series has had same sex couples since the beginning, why get worked up over this.