Poll: Is Dragon Age 2 a bad game?

Zarmi

Jul 16, 2010
Meh, it's okay. Way too expensive at full price. It's very mediocre at best. It's a short, grindful experience, that mostly (to me) resembled playing an MMO alone. Even the writing isn't all Bioware-like.

Kair

Sep 14, 2008
It pushes stale American delusions of morality on you just like many other mediums with failed moral complexity. Mass Effect 2 had the same problem. I don't think DA:O had quite the same problem.

Still, I liked it. I liked Origins better though.

ThePirateMan

Jul 15, 2009
Agayek said:
ThePirateMan said:
I loathed it, I found none of the characters to be interesting, the story was unengaging, the dialogue system limited my immersion and the locations were down-right bloody boring. Even before I went through them 3 times.
How the hell did you manage to see every zone in the game only three times?! By the end of Act 1, I had visited each (forwards and backwards) at least a dozen times.

Also, I agree with you on everything you said there, except for Varric. He was an interesting, likable character with a rather intriguing backstory. He's my #2 favorite character in any Dragon Age game/dlc/campaign/whatever, right behind Shale.
Oh yeah! Varric. I forgot about him. Yeah, I actualy found him entertaining, but not very memorable as you can see.

As for the first part of your post, that may be because I didn't bother finishing the game.

Omnific One

Apr 3, 2010
I hate what it stands for: the downfall of Bioware into the yearly, crappy sequels business. The game itself is merely mediocre, but for a Bioware game, that is damning.

Spygon

May 16, 2009
Dragon age 2 was a good game but comparing it to Origins makes it look bad.

So to answer the question Dragon age 2 is not a bad game but people expect better from bioware

rsvp42

Jan 15, 2010
I liked it. I'm an artist, so I really appreciated the character design improvements and the overall attention given to character development.

I wasn't a fan of the repeated environments, but insofar as they were just a setting for the story's events, they were tolerable. I definitely felt more of a connection to my character in DA2 though. I'm okay with silent protagonists in games but I'm not as concerned with "being" a character in a game as I am with being exposed to interesting characters and believable interactions. I guess I prefer the Mass Effect style of main character than the DA:O or KoTOR style.

Ailia

Nov 11, 2010
Great game, despite its flaws. I can see where the hate is coming from but I still really enjoyed it.

Chelsea O'shea

May 20, 2010
the game has its share of flaws/glitches not the least of which are the cut scene issues.
the game coulda done with more locations as well but all in all it was still A lot of fun to play.

Moonlight Butterfly

Be the Leaf
Mar 16, 2011
The dialogue wheel was almost pointless. 90% of the time the situations turn out the same whatever you do. It would have been nice to be able to influence the outcomes of some plot points with your attitude but you just don't. It's like they heard about the charm intimidate system in Mass Effect but didn't really get the point of it.

bob1052

Oct 12, 2010
The conversation wheel turned interaction into one of the worst aspects of the game entirely. Before you used to shape your character by saying what your character would say. Now you just say "my character is good so I'll just click on the good speech choice".

The choices you make in the game, especially the later parts, are meaningless. There is barely in variation between the outcomes of your choices. The game might as well have been completely linear.

Obviously the environments were total shit.

The story was boring as hell. Rather than have the cliché epic fantasy story (there is really nothing wrong with it) like DA:O they decided to make this horrid three part story full of boring meaningless tasks.

The game only had two characters that were remotely interesting.

The game was complete trash, made worse by the fact that it had to follow the mediocre but still decent DA:O

rodeolifant

Sep 1, 2009
The game isn't bad in any way; especially not compared to other games in the same price range. It is, however not one of Bioware's best games, and as such, not one of the top rpg's

Delock

Mar 4, 2009
Easy way to test for me: I paid $60 for it and never once regretted it after playing for 20-30 hours, and plan to playthrough again.

Also, while I want to bash on the repetition thing, I just finished a playthrough of Origins + all the DLC, so I really, REALLY can't.

Storywise, the whole thing is more a political struggle than a classic struggle, which I actually like both. The difference here is that you're walking on a tight rope with everyone else over an extremely volatile powder keg and you can't tell who's going to cause a spark when they fall rather than taking sides to defeat a clear enemy.

Basically, this has just as many flaws as the original, but has just as many of it's own merits.

Good game, not the best, worth a look.

jad4400

Jun 12, 2008
Mr.Squishy said:
It's a very underwhelming sequel to an overwhelmingly great game. But I think the combat etc. has improved noticeably (with the exception of the goddamn waves system).
This basically, I liked DA:2 but I definitely think it was one of Bioware's weaker games, combat improved, story was alright, but environments got an F-

Abedeus

Sep 14, 2008
Didn't play it. I didn't play Dragon Age till end, combat was even harder than Last Remnant. And in Last Remnant you can spend 10 minutes being instakilled by a boss over and over, chipping his 0.5kk hp pool 20k hp at a time, just to be OBLITERATED by boss that joins after the instakilling one dise.

Why was it harder? Cause it's hardly turn-based... Simply too hard for a wRPG.

LJJ

Nov 14, 2009
The story seems like it was mostly created by grabbing a few pages out of the "cut material" bin from their previous games and editing that into a new full story.

The characters on the other hand are maybe the best yet in a Bioware title.

To me it really feels like DAO and DA2 were supposed to be one game.... The updated engine wasn't ready on time to make the original, but they wanted to do something with it anyway.

Moonlight Butterfly

Be the Leaf
Mar 16, 2011
Abedeus said:
Didn't play it. I didn't play Dragon Age till end, combat was even harder than Last Remnant. And in Last Remnant you can spend 10 minutes being instakilled by a boss over and over, chipping his 0.5kk hp pool 20k hp at a time, just to be OBLITERATED by boss that joins after the instakilling one dise.

Why was it harder? Cause it's hardly turn-based... Simply too hard for a wRPG.
Dragon Age is easy... whut.