Poll: Is fallout 3 better than Oblivion?

ThaBenMan

Mandalorian Buddha
Mar 6, 2008
ZZ-Tops89 said:
I don't know which one is better to play, since I've played exactly neither of them, but I do know that the advertisements for Fallout 3 in Washington DC were insane...
That's awesome. It would have been even better if there were ads right at the Capitol Building and Washington Monument, so you could look at the ruined structure in the ad, then just look a little to the side and see the real thing.

Ok, I've never actually played Oblivion, but I have played Morrowind, so I have an idea of what it's like. Maybe you could say Fallout 3 is better simply because it actually made me want to even play it? As far as I can tell, I have to go with Fallout 3, for a couple reasons -

The setting is amazing - the ruined 50's style world is so detailed and well-crafted, and even though it's drably colored I still think it's just as beautiful as Oblivion, if not more so. And it's pretty varied - urban ruins, suburban streets, open wasteland, different buildings like gas stations and factories and office buildings. I've only seen screens of Oblivion, but it looks pretty repetitive and bland itself - just forests and fields and occasional ruins that all look the same. Lush countryside can be just as unappealing as blasted wasteland. And I'm a huge fan of the original Fallout games as well - the post-apocalypse Americana is just so awesome and original, while Oblivion just seems to be derivative, Tolkien-esque fantasy.

And the gameplay, I feel, is superior as well. The SPECIAL system is great, flexible and easy to use, and the perks are well-designed and useful. The leveling system in Morrowind (which is pretty much the same in Oblivion, I think) is obtuse and unsatisfying. And the melee combat isn't very much fun for me. In Fallout, you have all the different sorts of guns, VATS is a blast (I'll admit, real-time shooting isn't as fun). And you can still use melee weapons if that's what you prefer.

So, like I said, I've never actually played Oblivion. Maybe I'll get around to it someday and it'll blow me away, replacing Fallout 3 for my preferred game. But until then, I'll be wandering the wastes if you need me ;D

ZZ-Tops89

Mar 7, 2009
ThaBenMan said:
ZZ-Tops89 said:
I don't know which one is better to play, since I've played exactly neither of them, but I do know that the advertisements for Fallout 3 in Washington DC were insane...
That's awesome. It would have been even better if there were ads right at the Capitol Building and Washington Monument, so you could look at the ruined structure in the ad, then just look a little to the side and see the real thing.
The first time I saw the posters was on the way to Reagan national for a flight to Chicago at the L'Enfant Plaza station, which is almost directly underneath the National Mall at roughly an equal distance between the Capitol Building and the Washington Monument. Needless to say I didn't sleep on the plane that day.

BillBarilko

May 6, 2008
Both of them bored the hell out of me, but only because I'm not a big fan of such massive open-world games. I can definitely appreciate their appeal, but I don't have the time to devote to them in order to get the best experience out of them.

USSR

Probably your average communist.
Oct 4, 2008
On the PC, I'd say Fallout 3

I do love the G.E.C.K. option for Fallout 3 because I adapted better to it than the construction kit for Oblivion =p

But on the console, I just get bored with it. Yet somehow Oblivion attracts me more on the console, and I don't get as bored easily =/

Snuggle

Apr 28, 2009
Oblivion was too repetetive for my liking. The dungeons all looked the same (Well, maybe they have a bit different layout and stuff like that). Fallout 3 feels somewhat more unique to me. Sure most of the houses had the same layout, but at least the cities and settlements feel unique, unlike the standard medieval city/town from Oblivion (I admit they didn't look exactly the same, but there was barely any difference in the architecture, although I loved both Bruma and the Imperial tower.)

NotAPie

Jan 19, 2009
I prefer Oblivion, just because I spent more time completeing quests then I did on fallout.
They were both good games, I just wish I could have one that took me a month to finish
Now thats a game.

SL33TBL1ND

Elite Member
Nov 9, 2008
supermaster1337 said:
My friends have had this discussion over and over.
I honestly believe it is Oblivion but i would like your opinions too with valid reasons.
Fallout 3 buddy, no more mountain climbing, well, maybe a little... Anyway like a friend of mine once said to me, "Bethesda makers of the finest RPG's you may never get to play".

Nukey

Elite Member
Apr 24, 2009
i loved both games but fallout wins it had hilarious dark humor, better voice actors and characters i really liked (Mr Burke,eulogy Jones, the robotic butlers) where oblivion only had Lucien

supermaster1337

Apr 22, 2009
SL33TBL1ND said:
supermaster1337 said:
I honestly believe it is Oblivion but i would like your opinions too with valid reasons.
Fallout 3 buddy, no more mountain climbing, well, maybe a little... Anyway like a friend of mine once said to me, "Bethesda makers of the finest RPG's you may never get to play".
bethesda is the best.

Jennacide

Dec 6, 2007
Both good, but Fallout has a special place in my heart. Not to mention I'll take a post-apocalyptic US stuck in the '50s vibe over a generic fantasy world.

SL33TBL1ND

Elite Member
Nov 9, 2008
supermaster1337 said:
SL33TBL1ND said:
supermaster1337 said:
bethesda is the best.
Yes, but also the buggiest, hence my quote.

supermaster1337

Apr 22, 2009
SL33TBL1ND said:
supermaster1337 said:
SL33TBL1ND said:
supermaster1337 said:
bethesda is the best.
yeah, but nevertheless the games are fun.

SL33TBL1ND

Elite Member
Nov 9, 2008
supermaster1337 said:
SL33TBL1ND said:
supermaster1337 said:
SL33TBL1ND said:
supermaster1337 said:
bethesda is the best.
yeah, but nevertheless the games are fun.
Yeah, I'm not disagreeing but for some people it takes 2 hours just to get the installer working...