Poll: Is fallout 3 better than Oblivion?

LockNstock

Apr 22, 2009
Fallout 3,no contest.
Better story,more compelling,great set pieces,better characterisation,more immersive,better world(it may be smaller than oblivion,but it's a lot denser,and there is always something interesting to find)I found the characters in oblivion quite bland,and fallout 3's voice acting is better,great atmosphere,great music gets you in the mood,it has a dark humour about it....better combat(c'mon,it has freakin' guns!)and last but not least,I think it has more potential in terms of dlc's due to it's setting(in oblivion,you couldn't exactly have new guns could you?and your pretty much limited to that old medieval fantasy era,with fallout,you can have swords,old fasioned guns,old fasioned clothes......see where I am going with this?)
Basically all of those are the reasons why I think it's better than oblivion.
Don't get me wrong though,I loved oblivion,when it first came out for PC way back in 2006,I practically worshipped it.....but now...it has been overtaken by fallout

runtheplacered

Oct 31, 2007
The_Oracle said:
That's just my fanboi opinion, so take it with a grain of salt. :p
I'm going to have to take it with a grain of salt! That was definitely an incredibly biased comparison.

I voted Fallout 3, although I don't know why. I played both of the games once and have never had an urge to play either one ever again. And probably got the same exact amount of joy out of each the one time that I did play them.

runtheplacered

Oct 31, 2007
That Dude With A Face said:
You can't compare the two. One is a fantasy RPG (swords and magic), and the other is a futuristic RPG (guns and nuclear war). True, they are by the same developer and they are both RPGs, but they are not enough alike to be compared.
The only difference in the games, according to what you just said, is the setting. That's not grounds for a comparison? Do games have to be exact carbon copies of each other in order to be compared?

Trivun

Stabat mater dolorosa
Dec 13, 2008
I don't know since I've played Oblivion and reckon it's kickass awesome, but I only bought Fallout 3 yesterday and haven't played it yet due to revision and such. Hence I'll probably get back to you on that once I've found the time to play it (not likely this week as I'll be drinking tonight and Thursday and hungover tomorrow and Friday - friend's birthday tonight and clubbing on Thursday...). From what I've seen though, they're both Goddamn Awesome... :D

Rickyvantof

May 6, 2009
Fallout 3 is more original, I mean we already knew the whole fantasy theme, but Fallout 3 uses something that pretty much hasn't ever been used before (well apart from former Fallout games). Anyone name one other game that uses a futuristic take on the period around 1950 and then throws some big ass nukes on it.

Mr Fatherland

Nov 10, 2008
Oblivion by miles. I just can't describe the feeling of fondness I have for that game with words. The best thing I can compare it to is Morgan Freeman reading the narration of a good novel to you, while Brian Blessed does the speech.

Mr Fatherland

Nov 10, 2008
Biek said:
I figure if you like Oblivion, and if you liek shooters, you will love Fallout 3. If you dont like shooters, dont get fallout and if you dont like rpg's, dont get either.

I think its comparing apples to oranges.
Definitely Oranges.

massau

Apr 25, 2009
i like fallout but i hate the land scape and i don't really like the system if you press "v"
and it was to cold you felled you never save and there wasn't even a city i mean come on 200years later thy still didn't make or repair some houses
but oblivion as just a little more fun "no karma "but it was to much copy paste like yathzee sad.and it story line was a bid less

Rickyvantof

May 6, 2009
Biek said:
I figure if you like Oblivion, and if you liek shooters, you will love Fallout 3. If you dont like shooters, dont get fallout and if you dont like rpg's, dont get either.

Fallout isn't a shooter, all you have to do is mash V and click on body parts ;D

Biek

Mar 5, 2008
Rickyvantof said:
Biek said:

Fallout isn't a shooter, all you have to do is mash V and click on body parts ;D
And what do you do with shooters? You point on something and click your mouse or press a button. big diff

runtheplacered

Oct 31, 2007
runtheplacered said:
You can't compare the two. One is a fantasy RPG (swords and magic), and the other is a futuristic RPG (guns and nuclear war). True, they are by the same developer and they are both RPGs, but they are not enough alike to be compared.
The only difference in the games, according to what you just said, is the setting. That's not grounds for a comparison? Do games have to be exact carbon copies of each other in order to be compared?
No, not carbon copies, but same play style. Guns change the dynamics of a game more than most people realize.

It turns the game from a close quarter game (sword & shield) with the options a bow and magic (i.e. OBLIVION), into a Ranged combat game (Guns) with no option for magic or (with very little exception) melee combat (i.e. Fallout 3). The main difference is guns and magic.
I still believe the two can be compared by how much total utility they've given you. But, we may just have to agree to disagree on that. No big deal.

Then again, I also don't see why apples and oranges can't be compared.

RanD00M

Oct 26, 2008
They are both AWESOME Period.You just can't compare to all of the options in each game.

Rickyvantof

May 6, 2009
Biek said:
Rickyvantof said:
Biek said:

And what do you do with shooters? You point on something and click your mouse or press a button. big diff
Yes except with regular shooters the game doesn't pause.

DirgE Almighty

Mar 16, 2009
fallout has a much better story and leveling system but oblivion is bigger and has better DLC (at the moment) so im going with fallout 3