Poll: Is Far Cry 2 a Cult Classic now?

B-Cell_v1legacy

Feb 9, 2016
Hello friends,

Looking back in 2008 when game was released many people complain about it. many. and it was one of the most hated game of that time. 10 years later the game is just being use as an example of great physics and all. i realize it take 10 years to finally see far cry 2 is indeed a great game. and probably the best in series by long shot. it sure have problems, like repetetive missions and respawning enemies but it was better than later games in series including 3 4 and primal. havenot played 5 yet so cant comment but theres video show FC5 is backward compare to this game so i doubt its better.

Far cry 3 was very overrated. it was good game sure, but it can be tedious at time, too many long unskipable cutscenes and thats the problem of later games in series. plus inclusion of wallhack, tagging enemies, make those games more casual compare to FC2. FC4 and primal were just bad. like worst in series.

so my friends what do you think? is this game 10 years later a cult classic? lets discuss.

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
I liked FarCry 2 before it was cool to like FarCry 2.

Also I have this game installed and recently played it on my PC and holy shit why do these graphics still look good today?!

The Trees, the Tall Grass, the Texture work, its all so beautifully done and still holds up today.

Also this video perfectly showcases why I wish elements of FarCry 2 is brought back to the later FarCry games:

Yeah I still hope the next game in the series goes back to Africa.

Mcgeezaks

The biggest boss
Dec 31, 2009
Sweden
Country
Sweden
It's nice how you suddenly became Far Cry 2's biggest fan since Crowbcat released a video about it a week ago.

No it's not, it's still regarded as the worst Far Cry game by most Far Cry fans and you're definitely in the vast minority who thinks it's the best Far Cry game in the series.

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
BabyfartsMcgeezaks said:
It's nice how you suddenly became Far Cry 2's biggest fan since Crowbcat released a video about it a week ago.

No it's not, it's still regarded as the worst Far Cry game by most Far Cry fans and you're definitely in the vast minority who thinks it's the best Far Cry game in the series.
I just want a FarCry 5 that also includes elements of Far Cry 2 is all I am asking.

I acknowledge that FarCry 2 for all intents and purpose was a tech demo, but damn was it a fun tech demo, unlike The Order: 1886

B-Cell_v1legacy

Feb 9, 2016
BabyfartsMcgeezaks said:

theres plenty of peolpe regard it as best far cry game. also watch gggmanlives review where he claim its best.
worst one is easily 4. what a terrible game. not just ok like 3. just flatout bad.

Mcgeezaks

The biggest boss
Dec 31, 2009
Sweden
Country
Sweden
Samtemdo8 said:
BabyfartsMcgeezaks said:

I just want a FarCry 5 that also includes elements of Far Cry 2 is all I am asking.

I acknowledge that FarCry 2 for all intents and purpose was a tech demo, but damn was it a fun tech demo, unlike The Order: 1886
It definitely had its ups but they made some crucial mistakes with weapons constantly breaking down, malaria, respawning checkpoints etc etc

B-Cell said:
BabyfartsMcgeezaks said:

theres plenty of peolpe regard it as best far cry game. also watch gggmanlives review where he claim its best.
worst one is easily 4. what a terrible game. not just ok like 3. just flatout bad.
No there's really not. Even Far Cry 4 which appareantly is terrible, was more well-received by players but I guess that doesn't matter since it doesn't suit your agenda.

B-Cell_v1legacy

Feb 9, 2016
BabyfartsMcgeezaks said:
It definitely had its ups but they made some crucial mistakes with weapons constantly breaking down, malaria, respawning checkpoints etc etc
weapon jamming and malaria feature distinct it from other casual shooters from last gen.

it make game more immersive. Stalker feature weapon jam. Metro exodus will also have weapon jam feature based on trailer.

Far cry 3 is so casual and easy. made for COD audience.

Rip Van Rabbit

~ UNLIMITED RULEBOOK ~
Apr 17, 2012
Nope, it was shit back then and certainly has not improved with hindsight.

Malaria was a nuisance, gun jamming was frustrating, enemy variety & AI was a joke, stealth sucked and traveling through the aesthetic eyesore of an environment was the final nail in the coffin.

Claim immersion all you want and cherry-pick your usual favorites, but Far Cry 2 just came across as a joyless chore.
Can we add obligatory COD-bashing to the B-Cell Thread Bingo card? (Even though Far Cry 2 played like poor mans Modern Warfare)

Mcgeezaks

The biggest boss
Dec 31, 2009
Sweden
Country
Sweden
B-Cell said:
BabyfartsMcgeezaks said:
weapon jamming and malaria feature distinct it from other casual shooters from last gen.

it make game more immersive. Stalker feature weapon jam. Metro exodus will also have weapon jam feature based on trailer.

Far cry 3 is so casual and easy. made for COD audience.
Yes I'm sure that's why they removed them and why literally no one complained about removing those features.

See, you say you respect other peoples opinion yet you like to call games Call of Duty clones which ''sucks'' and are only for ''casuals'' and for people with low standards. You don't respect shit and you lack self-awareness.

sXeth

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 15, 2012
Granted, my experience with Far Cry 2 is secondhand at best (I did play the first, but that was basically an alien entity to the rest of the series), but I've never heard the weapon jamming and malaria mentioned as anything but annoyances that just arbitrarily inconvenience the player. That sort of feature is fine if you've got logic (and counters) to it and that's your gameplay, but just as some random popup effect, is just trash padding.

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
BabyfartsMcgeezaks said:
Samtemdo8 said:
BabyfartsMcgeezaks said:

B-Cell said:
BabyfartsMcgeezaks said:

No there's really not. Even Far Cry 4 which appareantly is terrible, was more well-received by players but I guess that doesn't matter since it doesn't suit your agenda.
Respawning Checkpoints and Camps can go fuck itself.

But I love Weapon Jamming and Degredation, it makes you choose your load out wiser and plan your attack strategies with the proper weapons. To be fair though it takes awhile for weapons to start breaking and jamming.

Malaria I have mixed feelings.

PapaGreg096

Oct 12, 2013
I would've been personally fine with the weapon jamming if the stealth was good but with the said feature along with Malaria, checkpoints and AI makes this game a hassle to play. I would rather play through 3/4/5 till the end of each game than play 30 minutes of 2

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
The only other Far Cry game I ever played, other than 5 which is pretty good, was some really weird one where you're like a mutant Wolverine character, and you could leap around, run on all fours, rip people apart with your bare hands, and there was a plot, but for the life of me I can't remember it ever appearing in the game.
Like you'd get the objective of 'Go to the helipad, kill the General and steal the Virus' and at no point was a general ever shown before hand, nor did a virus ever come into play.
Fun gameplay, but 0/10 for story telling.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Silentpony said:
The only other Far Cry game I ever played, other than 5 which is pretty good, was some really weird one where you're like a mutant Wolverine character, and you could leap around, run on all fours, rip people apart with your bare hands, and there was a plot, but for the life of me I can't remember it ever appearing in the game.
Like you'd get the objective of 'Go to the helipad, kill the General and steal the Virus' and at no point was a general ever shown before hand, nor did a virus ever come into play.
Far Cry Instincts; the best Far Cry and Weapon X game ever made. I have the 360 version.

EDIT:

The plot can be summed up as Jack gets attacked by mercenaries on the island, because the person he ferrying was an uncover CIA agent (Valerie Cortez). Jack never knew, and gets attacked for it. Valerie was trying to rescue another agent on the island called Doyle (who acts like Bruce Campbell). Jack gets captured and is turned into a human with animal powers. He escapes and tries to kill Krieger, the scientist (who experimented on him) and Crowe, the lead mercenary (who captured him). Crowe ends up betraying Krieger, and injecting himself with the same serum Jack was given. At that point, it's a meele a trois between three factions: Kreiger's private army, the mutants on the islands led by Crowe, and Crowe's mercenaries who just want to get off the island and abandon both of them, while trying to kill Jack. Jack takes names, kicks ass, kills Crowe, Crowe's mutants kill Krieger, and Jack escapes with the sample, and jumps in the rescue chopper with Doyle waiting for him(with Valerie piloting it).

Tanis

The Last Albino
Aug 30, 2010
Nah.

I mean, it's okay, but I had a LOT of technical issues with the game.
-Cheating AI
-Super human hearing AI
-Clipping though the map
-Cheating, seriously fucking cheating, AI.

Moagim

Aug 6, 2011
No.

Far Cry 2 is a weird game. I just replayed it recently because I felt the pangs of nostalgia for it's weirdness. But after replaying it I realized the game play is absolute garbage and the story is kind of ruined by the fact that EVERY SINGLE CHARACTER delivers their lines in droning, monotone, zero-punctuation style run-on sentence. The story is incredibly sad and depressing and since I couldn't re-live that heart-breaking moment I experienced the first time I played it, where my best friend Josip had to be put down because the game wouldn't let me revive him anymore which genuinely moved me in a way that very few of anything else ever has, because I already knew it would happen, and I already knew everything that was going to happen including the events that take place before and during the bizarre ending, it was a big disappointment the second time around.

So no, Far Cry 2 is not a cult classic. I think some people might feel nostalgia for it like I did, but all they have to do is play it and that'll change in a fucking hurry.

sXeth

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 15, 2012
CoCage said:
Silentpony said:
Far Cry Instincts; the best Far Cry and Weapon X game ever made. I have the 360 version.

The plot can be summed up as Jack gets attacked by mercenaries on the island, because the person he ferrying was an uncover CIA agent (Valerie Cortez). Jack never knew, and gets attacked for it. Valerie was trying to rescue another agent on the island called Doyle (who acts like Bruce Campbell). Jack gets captured and is turned into a human with animal powers. He escapes and tries to kill Krieger, the scientist (who experimented on him) and Crowe, the lead mercenary (who captured him). Crowe ends up betraying Krieger, and injecting himself with the same serum Jack was given. At that point, it's a meele a trois between three factions: Crowe's private army, the mutants on the islands led by Crowe, and Crowe's mercenaries who just want to get off the island and abandon both of them, while trying to kill Jack. Jack takes names, kicks ass, kills Crowe, Crowe's mutants kill Krieger, and Jack escapes with the sample, and jumps in the rescue chopper with Doyle waiting for him(with Valerie piloting it).
Thats more or less the same as Far Cry 1. Jack doesn't get superpowers (though he does get injected with the Trigen stuff) is about the only difference. And Crowe is just some guy on the radio with a boss fight in a helicopter near the end (Krieger is another boss fight as a Trigen)

Feb 7, 2016
Seriously. How is weapon jamming an issue with some of you people?

Is the gun looking dirty?
If yes- Go to one of the several gun stores around the map, and replace them at no cost with fresh weapons. You've likely collected enough diamonds to purchase a brand new weapon to try while you're there anyway.
If no- Keep using it just fine.

The guns really do not jam that frequently. I've played Far Cry 2 for about 90 hours across PS3 and PC and I think weapon jamming came up like...12 times? And each one of those times served as a method to increase the tension and encourage using cover. Picking up a fallen enemies weapon. Using one of the other three weapons you're allowed to carry on you, including grenades, molotovs, and the many mounted machine guns.

The qualms anyone has about the weapon jamming system are exaggerated.

I'm not saying Far Cry 2 is a perfect game, but even if there are people that consider it to be the "worst" Far Cry game, it's still a GOOD game. The game doesn't hold your hand by forcing down narrative and scripted events. And any time there is scripted dialogue, you can literally press a button to get a cliff notes version of that dialogue and shuffle your ass out of the door to complete the objective.

gsilver

Apr 21, 2010
Country
USA
IMO, it was a bad game with a good game inside of it just screaming to get out.
It did so many things right (especially the combat and the fire mechanics), yet some other design decisions (like only being able to be on one mission at a time, the clunky and slow means of transportation, respawning checkpoints, et al) ...Many of which even could have been easily patchable! ...Which just made it all the more frustrating.

Those who argue its cult-classsic status aren't wrong when they argue the positives, but the positives were unfortunately buried with bad ones, IMO.

Edit:
Though I will say that the Malaria and gun jamming didn't bother me. Malaria just meant that it was time to do another story mission, and gun jamming just required one to think on their feet. Plenty of fresh new guns available outside of missions, and old shoddy guns found during missions were understood to be limited use.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
Is it? I haven't heard a sudden resurgence of praise for the game. Granted, I haven't played it either but I've heard it's got a lot of potential with some really annoying features and as far as I know, that hasn't changed. I don't think it was considered amazing at the time and I don't think many people consider it so now either.