Poll: Is Far Cry 2 a Cult Classic now?

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
I liked it but it still has problems. Other than what people have pointed out - getting into a fight near a road and being swarmed, all your helpers and how they ended was.. I don't know why they thought it was a good idea, how grass hides enemies from you but not vice versa and the concept of a two map area, that was unnecessary. It's not as bad as what people make out but it's not best in the series

B-Cell_v1legacy

Feb 9, 2016
FC2 was certainly flawed (quite possibly because development shifted from PC exclusive to memory-starved consoles), but it still ended up better than most shooters even to this day in retrospect, even on those same old consoles. One of its more annoying issues of checkpoint respawns could be largely circumvented by going off road or stealth. I had good fun playing it on release way back then, and I also started a play through last fall on Infamous difficulty to revisit it. It's brutally fun, especially with the different tactical options and fire propagation that can lead to some pretty emergent gameplay. You also really have to think about surviving every gun fight and plan a course of action, knowing which weapons to use in a given situation, etc. Sometimes the best things can happen from random improvisation.

One of these days I'll get back to it; probably before I start any other more recent shooters.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Seth Carter said:
CoCage said:
Silentpony said:
The only other Far Cry game I ever played, other than 5 which is pretty good, was some really weird one where you're like a mutant Wolverine character, and you could leap around, run on all fours, rip people apart with your bare hands, and there was a plot, but for the life of me I can't remember it ever appearing in the game.
Like you'd get the objective of 'Go to the helipad, kill the General and steal the Virus' and at no point was a general ever shown before hand, nor did a virus ever come into play.
Fun gameplay, but 0/10 for story telling.
Far Cry Instincts; the best Far Cry and Weapon X game ever made. I have the 360 version.

The plot can be summed up as Jack gets attacked by mercenaries on the island, because the person he ferrying was an uncover CIA agent (Valerie Cortez). Jack never knew, and gets attacked for it. Valerie was trying to rescue another agent on the island called Doyle (who acts like Bruce Campbell). Jack gets captured and is turned into a human with animal powers. He escapes and tries to kill Krieger, the scientist (who experimented on him) and Crowe, the lead mercenary (who captured him). Crowe ends up betraying Krieger, and injecting himself with the same serum Jack was given. At that point, it's a meele a trois between three factions: Crowe's private army, the mutants on the islands led by Crowe, and Crowe's mercenaries who just want to get off the island and abandon both of them, while trying to kill Jack. Jack takes names, kicks ass, kills Crowe, Crowe's mutants kill Krieger, and Jack escapes with the sample, and jumps in the rescue chopper with Doyle waiting for him(with Valerie piloting it).
Thats more or less the same as Far Cry 1. Jack doesn't get superpowers (though he does get injected with the Trigen stuff) is about the only difference. And Crowe is just some guy on the radio with a boss fight in a helicopter near the end (Krieger is another boss fight as a Trigen)
A very bare minimum story, and it's definitely a game from the early 2000s. Then again, the story was shallow even by the standards of the time. It was a tech demo of what hardware could do on the PC, so I won't fault FC1 for that. The same thing would eventually happen with Crysis.

Oh, and I meant to say Krieger and his private army, not Crowe. Simple typo.

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
Meh.

It's an improvement on FC 1, the "Getting shot across impossible distances through obscuring grasses by people with sub-machine guns" simulator. It's fairly pretty- remarkably so for games of the time, though I'd argue you could say the same of all the Far Cry games that follow.

It's also shallow and repetitive, and takes agency from the player in ways that are truly galling and run in extreme thematic contrast to the amount of freedom it gives in approaching combat situations. Want to only run missions for one side? Nope- you're just going to figure out that's impossible when they abruptly stop offering missions. Actually go after the Jackal like you were first tasked to do? Nope- you're going to get cold-cocked every time you encounter him (hello, epic Cut-Scene Incompetence) right up until you're told you're on his side now and have to accept a suicide mission from him. Bag up your conflict diamonds and leave the country for some place that might actually be able to treat your malaria, like a smart little mercenary? Yeah, right. Not even on the table.

Yeah, you get blind-sided in cut-scenes in FC3 and 4 as well. But at least it's en route to killing the guy who does it to you, or at least having the option to do so. For me, FC3 is the pinnacle of the series to date (though I haven't gotten to try FC5 yet.) FC2 was a stepping stone to getting there. It did some things right, but a some of it bored me to tears, and even the developers quite readily admit that some of the design choices were bad ones.

Faced between hunting tigers, hang-gliding, and exploring caves in FC3 or trying to ram through another damn respawning guard station in FC2, I'd choose the former every time. Playing FC3 was fun. Getting through FC2 was a chore.

bartholen_v1legacy

A dyslexic man walks into a bra.
Jan 24, 2009
Here I was, ready to discuss the merits of Far Cry 2 and why I think it's underappreciated... and then I saw it's a B-Cell thread.

No, I don't think it's a cult classic by any stretch. It was received well and sold well, and was the starting point for the mega-franchise the series is now. It's since then been met with criticism, and rightfully so, but I still think it's a great game.

- The setting is still rather unique among shooters. It's a rare case that doesn't involve extensive military conflict with escalating explosions. Even more exceptional is its atmosphere, where everything is collapsing, decrepit, worn out and dirty. The people are ruthless, amoral, opportunistic, or just desperately trying to get out. It conveys a sense of danger and hopelessness in a way I've seen few games manage. And yes, the weapon degradation adds to that atmosphere. It makes perfect sense in the story, and it's even given a proper reason as opposed to just being an out-of-universe gameplay mechanic.

- The graphics hold up amazingly for a 10 year old game. I'm serious when I say the lighting still takes my breath away, especially during the sunsets. I'm still impressed how you can literally see the shadows of every single leaf and branch.

- The weapons are some of the most satisfying in gaming history. The AS50 sniper rifle sounds like a goddamn cannon going off, and surprising convoys with the IEDs never gets old. The game also makes the player work for these weapons. In Far Cry 3 I'd gotten all the guns I'd ever need probably halfway through the game, which meant any wealth I gathered from then on was meaningless. Needing the amount of diamonds for the weapons makes them feel precious and earned. And the only silenced sniper rifle is acquired only at the second half, and it can make like 10-15 shots before breaking, meaning no clearing entire outposts without being spotted at all *COUGH* FAR CRY 3 *COUGH*

- The UI is simply brilliant. For no other game would I even bring this up, but the information is conveyed in such an unintrusive manner that it does an amazing job to immerse the player.

But of course there's the bad stuff like hyper-aggressive and unbalanced AI, shallow open world with little incentive for exploration beyond finding diamonds, the basically nonexistent story, the barely functional stealth with no way of telling where enemies are, the game being essentially twice as long as it needs to be and malaria adding an unnecessary level of RNG into the mix and stretching out the playtime by forcing you to do those stupid medicine runs.

Chimpzy_v1legacy

Warning! Contains bananas!
Jun 21, 2009
Most of what I've seen is people saying Far Cry 2 not as bad as a lot of people make it out to be and the game does have some good aspects, but saying "It's not that bad" is not exactly the same as "It's good" or even "It's so bad it's good".

Maybe I'm wrong and there really is a lot of renewed and positive interest in Far Cry 2, enough to warrant being called a cult classic, but I've noticed little of it.

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
Major_Tom said:
B-Cell said:
it make game more immersive.
But stupid reversed ejection ports cancel that out. Also some of the jam clearing animations were really dumb.
Reversed Ejection Ports?

Also which Jam Animations was dumb because the one I can think of was the M16-like rifle where he just pressed a button and the stuck bullet flew out on its own.

I wonder what is that button for on those M16/M4 Rifles:

Major_Tom

Anticitizen
Jun 29, 2008
Samtemdo8 said:
Reversed Ejection Ports?
Yeah, all of the ejection ports are on the wrong side of their respective guns. This is especially stupid with bolt-action rifles where it would be incredibly awkward to work the bolt or with bullpup rifles where the spent casing would hit you in the head. I don't know why some games do that, it's driving me insane.
Samtemdo8 said:
Also which Jam Animations was dumb because the one I can think of was the M16-like rifle where he just pressed a button and the stuck bullet flew out on its own.
I know there were some "slap the gun util it fixes itself" or "pull the charging handle slightly harder this time". I remember the game's article on IMFDB at the time mostly consisted of the editor making fun of animations, it was hilarious.
Samtemdo8 said:
I wonder what is that button for on those M16/M4 Rifles
That's forward assist. It's used to push the bolt forward an lock it if you have a particularly stubborn round that won't chamber. But many people think it's better to just eject that round instead of forcing it in.

Gethsemani_v1legacy

Oct 1, 2009
Samtemdo8 said:
I wonder what is that button for on those M16/M4 Rifles:
It is the forward assist. Pushing it will force the bolt all the way forward, as there are times (especially with dirty weapons) when it might stop before securely loading a round into the chamber. If that happens, the weapon won't fire. At that point you are supposed to push the forward assist and it will push the round all the way forward. From what I understand, in practice most shooters just pull the charging handle, as that will give the bolt another chance to slide into place correctly and will let you get rid of a potentially faulty round. Pulling the charging handle is also the go-to first maneuver for any unexpected jam, so the button very rarely gets used.

TopazFusion

Dec 11, 2011
You're all wrong. The only Far Cry game that comes anywhere close to being a "cult classic" is Blood Dragon.

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
if we're regarding the well-received and appreciated at the time Far Cry 2 as a 'cult classic,' then I'd like to nominate the underappreciated hidden gem of a film Jurassic Park for this cult status please. And the mortally underexposed talent of indie darling band Led Zeppelin if one would be so kind

TopazFusion said:
You're all wrong. The only Far Cry game that comes anywhere close to being a "cult classic" is Blood Dragon.
hmm...mayhaps the sentient Tetris entity speaks sense or at least sense on this scale of comparison

JohnnyDelRay

Jul 29, 2010
I liked the game a lot, more than most people here it seems, but I'm not sure I'd call it a cult classic. It sure had problems, yes, but I overcame them fairly quickly in the game.

Like others have said, malaria symptoms just means you have to get on with the story, and weapon jamming I only had happen to me maybe twice at the most. I didn't mind it too much, because it's not like you're limited to a 2 weapon loadout or anything. I like having to switch up my style once in a while, because the weapons weren't doing that great.

Some of the dialogue delivery was a bit dull, but the biggest issue I had was respawning checkpoints, and enemies coming out of nowhere to mow you down. After you got better at it, it was a simpler affair to dispatch them or at least get past, but still annoying as hell. They should respawn at least through milestones in the story, not every damn 5 minutes or however quick it was.

I remember the game looking great for its time, and immersion was on a whole other level. I loved fixing up the vehicles, pulling sticks and bullets out of yourself, and the feel of the hot, sweaty African jungles and deserts. But it's been *years* since I last played, so it could be rose-colored glasses to an extent.

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
TopazFusion said:

Phoenixmgs_v1legacy

Muse of Fate
Sep 1, 2010
CaitSeith said:
TopazFusion said:
Ah, Blood Dragon is CLASSIC, cult or otherwise. I hope that the FarCry 5 DLC is standalone and can recapture the magic of Blood Dragon.

Cycloptomese

Jun 4, 2015
B-Cell said:
BabyfartsMcgeezaks said:
It's nice how you suddenly became Far Cry 2's biggest fan since Crowbcat released a video about it a week ago.

No it's not, it's still regarded as the worst Far Cry game by most Far Cry fans and you're definitely in the vast minority who thinks it's the best Far Cry game in the series.

theres plenty of peolpe regard it as best far cry game. also watch gggmanlives review where he claim its best.
worst one is easily 4. what a terrible game. not just ok like 3. just flatout bad.
We don't often agree, though I've never vocalized it, but we do on this. Far Cry 2 is definitely my favorite one. I spent the most time in it's world by a long shot.

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
Just a friendly reminder - this isn't actually on the Wild West and the CC still applies.

Also the Far Cry 5 endings are garbage.

Arnoxthe1

Elite Member
Dec 25, 2010
TopazFusion said:
I like to apply wikipedia's definition to cult classics. "Cult [classics] are known for their dedicated, passionate fanbase, an elaborate subculture that engage in repeated viewings, quoting dialogue, and audience participation."

I think a lot more people than you think played BD or else they wouldn't be going crazy with these expansions, so I don't think it's really a cult classic so much as just a good game. And let's be honest. You only play BD for the funny story/character dialogue. The gameplay is almost a cut-and-paste of FC3.

Inazuma1

Professional Asshole
Legacy
Nov 18, 2009
Hell
Rip Van Rabbit said:
Malaria was a nuisance, gun jamming was frustrating, enemy variety & AI was a joke, stealth sucked and traveling through the aesthetic eyesore of an environment was the final nail in the coffin.
That shit is annoying, which is why Dylan's Realism Mod is one of the more popular mods for FC2 as it retools weapon degradation and lowers the malaria flare ups in addition to fixing a lot of the unpatched bugs. There's also a mod worth grabbing that adds widescreen, DX10 support, and fixes rendering issues to make the game play nice with modern hardware. It ain't perfect, but the fan made content makes it better than the vanilla release.