Poll: Is Far Cry 2 a Cult Classic now?

Arnoxthe1

Elite Member
Dec 25, 2010
Johnny Novgorod said:
It's one claim to "cult classic" is how horrendously buggy it was.
Where the hell are these "bugs" everyone talks about? I think I had a couple of broken quest sequence bugs IN MY ENTIRE TIME with FC2. There's also the small audio bug with the Jackal tapes, but that's it.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Arnoxthe1 said:
Johnny Novgorod said:
It's one claim to "cult classic" is how horrendously buggy it was.
Where the hell are these "bugs" everyone talks about? I think I had a couple of broken quest sequence bugs IN MY ENTIRE TIME with FC2. There's also the small audio bug with the Jackal tapes, but that's it.
I don't answer to homophobic slurs or people who use them.

B-Cell said:
theres plenty of peolpe regard it as best far cry game.

Source: you.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
Arnoxthe1 said:
I think a lot more people than you think played BD or else they wouldn't be going crazy with these expansions, so I don't think it's really a cult classic so much as just a good game. And let's be honest. You only play BD for the funny story/character dialogue. The gameplay is almost a cut-and-paste of FC3.
I enjoyed the beginning and the ending, but the middle was a bunch of bog standard base clearings. It's one of those games I'm glad it's short because there really isn't much more to it then the novelty and the incredible amount of cheesy neon.

Buffoon1980

Mar 9, 2013
Nah. It was pretty good for its time, and actually proved to be quite influential in popularising the whole Ubisoft open world formula (I'm not saying that's a good thing, incidentally), but for my money it wasn't as good as the first Far Cry (which I honestly believe is one of the best FPS's of all time) and it wasn't as polished and refined as later Far Crys. Uh, Far Cries? Not that I was a huge fan of those either.

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
gsilver said:
IMO, it was a bad game with a good game inside of it just screaming to get out.
I couldn't have said it better myself.

People didn't hate Far Cry 2. They were just disappointed that it was filled with terrible design decisions that prevented it from reaching greatness. Overall, people were very impressed with Far Cry 2. But all the criticism it received was well deserved too.

And no, it's not a cult classic. Barely anyone ever talks about Far Cry 2 these days.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
B-Cell said:
so my friends what do you think? is this game 10 years later a cult classic? lets discuss.
Nope. It's full of busy work, the AI is terrible, the gun wear mechanic is equally terrible, it's ending was part of a DLC.

If anything it serves as a warning about the direction Ubisoft was heading, a proto-Ubisoft game before Ubisoft Games became their own homogenous genre.

Far Cry 3 and 4 were much better games, better mechanics, better plot, hilarious wing suit face plants.

But the true cult classic is Far Cry. The original with it's hang gliders, cheesey dialogue, abandoned WW2 fortresses, massive levels, invisible mutant rocket launcher monkeys and it's really big knife. I played through Far Cry again about a year a go and whilst it is by no means perfect it is still an excellent game, although the difficulty was a bit of a shock. It also holds the cult classic requirement of being completely unlike it's sequels and having much, much better AI than any of them.

It shares the spot as my favourite Far Cry game with BLOOD DRAGON, it would be my favourite outright, but BLODD DRAGON has Michael Bien.

Guitarmasterx7

Day Pig
Mar 16, 2009
I remember it being really technically impressive at the time I played it but I didn't really like it that much. I feel like Far Cry 3 is the one that comes up in conversation every time they make a new one.

Foxcubwendigo

Apr 5, 2018
In my opinion, it's okay. I liked the narrative and the endings, but I didn't really like the Malaria system and respawning checkpoints. I mean, I certainly see why that might appeal to the hardcore crowd, but I wish there was an option to turn them off.
(Also, note how I said option. I never said they should take it out, I just wish you could choose so both the hardcore and casual could be pleased.)

kasperbbs

Dec 27, 2009
Is it? It's the only Farcry game that i didn't like enough to even finish. I don't recall anyone singing high praises for it during the last 10 years either, but maybe thats just me.

Oct 22, 2011
Nah. It has some cult following among few people, but it's not a big enough number to warrant it being a classic.

Rip Van Rabbit said:
Malaria was a nuisance, gun jamming was frustrating, enemy variety & AI was a joke, stealth sucked and traveling through the aesthetic eyesore of an environment was the final nail in the coffin.
I could agree with almost everything(and add respawning enemy posts to that), but the last part. Not enough games take sub-saharan Africa as the location. Usually if we wander down into equatorial area, it's some non-descript jungle paradise. Boring.

They still should allow you to blast Toto's "Africa" on a custom radio playlist, though, GTA style(i did that anyway).

maninahat

Nov 8, 2007
I like it and it has had a cult status for a while, if Rock Paper Shotgun is anything to go by.

Like everyone else I hate the refilling check points, Malaria was an obnoxious burden on your time, and the constant commuting gets really annoying. Weapon jams were fine and not too obnoxious, doing their job of reminding you that a crooked arms dealer is flooding the country with busted weapons. It's a game about getting you in the situation as much as possible, which is why you have hands that do everything (repair cars, hold maps in front of your face, pull out shrapnel etc), which make the fights feel fresh and *ugh* divergent.

What does work is that this is a game that was invested in its subject matter, showing you a world exploited by foreign mercenaries, paid in blood diamonds, destroying infrastructure, and cynically playing both sides at once to continue the conflict. You get the Heart of Darkness references long before the game makes them explicit. Meanwhile, Far Cry 3 plays like the creators never played Far Cry 2, copying only the superficial gameplay whilst creating a moronically naive story that learns nothing from the previous game.

Apr 5, 2008
Far Cry 2 was never a "cult" anything. It was a mainstream, critical and financial success. It had great gameplay, top graphics and showcased the Cryengine very well indeed. Calling it a cult classic is very wrong, it's just a "classic".

Squilookle

Nov 6, 2008
I don't think anyone likes Far Cry 2 now who didn't also like it at the time. In some ways if fulfills the role of a cult classic- it pushed boundaries, had a highly original setting (if not premise) and was a much deeper and morally interesting game than Far Cry 1. I liked that the stupid monsters of FC1 were gone in favour of purely human enemies. I liked that they put grazing herbivores in the game, even if they didn't impact on gameplay. I particularly liked the in-hand map you had to look down at without pausing, and I believe FC2 was the first game to actually get regenerating health right, by splitting it into those partial segments. I also think FC2's day/night cycle takes the perfect amount of time to complete. Far better than GTA's 24 minute cycle was.

As others have said though, it's a good game trapped in the body of a bad game. I didn't mind that there was weapon degradation, but it broke the immersion when there was no way for me to clean or repair the guns myself- just toss it out and it's a long slog through enemy territory back to the gun shed. I didn't mind the Malaria, as it seemed an appropriate way to stop you going off the map, but when I got my first tiny bottle of pills to fight it, it frustrated me that I couldn't see how many I had remaining. I wanted to immediately do more missions to stock right up on the stuff, but the game wouldn't allow it. Clearing bases was actually quite fun while listening to the guards get more and more terrified as you whittle them down Predator style, but when you just want to do a story mission, and have enough ammo for it, there were next to no fast-travel options available which was pretty piss-poor. The fact that there's supposed to be two factions at war and yet everybody fights you and only you, breaks the immersion. It also bummed me out that the iconic Far Cry Hang-Gliders returned from 1, but you still couldn't ride thermals in them. I would have loved to glide over the savanna really taking in the beautiful scenery. Can't really complain though- FC5 doesn't even remember the hang glider heritage (or that Far Cry is supposed to be THE exotic location FPS that doesn't follow everyone else). Fire looked great, but only ever spread about 7 meters across, which breaks the immersion. Enemy guns never jam, even though when you pick them up yourself they're in the worst possible condition, which breaks the immersion. Enemy cars are always faster than you no matter what- breaks the immersion. Every enemy will furiously attack you on sight no matter what you -or they- were currently doing. Immersion again.

In the end, it got so rinse-and-repeat that I couldn't finish it. I did get a lot further than I did with Far Cry 1 and its stupid Trigens though. Like someone said above, FC2 became a chore. Everything you did was a chore. And big loud firefights were probably the worst part of it all. I seemed to find the most enjoyment out of stealthing around, and the down time when I could just walk around looking at the stunning Sub-Saharan landscape.

[sub]And for the record, Far Cry 2 had hands down the sexiest sniper rifle ever[/sub]​

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
Squilookle said:

[sub]And for the record, Far Cry 2 had hands down the sexiest sniper rifle ever[/sub]​
But WHY is the bolt handle on side?

And why is the reload animation illogical, that is not how you load cartridges in a Bolt Action Rifle.

Squilookle

Nov 6, 2008
Samtemdo8 said:
Squilookle said:

And why is the reload animation illogical, that is not how you load cartridges in a Bolt Action Rifle.
Given that I'm not an obsessed gun-nut, I neither know nor care.

Zombie Proof

Nov 28, 2015
Samtemdo8 said:
Squilookle said:

Ain't no one ever said it was a simulator.

It's a video game baby hahahaha

Arnoxthe1

Elite Member
Dec 25, 2010
Squilookle said:

Frezzato

Oct 17, 2012
TopazFusion said:
You're all wrong. The only Far Cry game that comes anywhere close to being a "cult classic" is Blood Dragon.
You're back!

Enjoy the color avatar. I made it just for you.

KraQ

Oct 4, 2014
B-Cell said:
I think it's heavily exaggerated to say that Far Cry 2 was "the most hated game of that time." After all, 2009 was the year that Rouge Warrior was released. The actual reaction was far more mixed. While some people really hated it and some people really liked it, the two most common reactions were either that it was boring and repetitive or that it was a flawed execution of nice ideas. Interestingly enough I remember Far Cry 2 as being one of the rare instances where we got some candid insight [https://www.pentadact.com/2008-10-24-far-cry-2-impersonation-of-a-buddy/] (scroll down to the comments) into how the flaws of the game manifested into the finished product.

As for Far Cry 3 and onward vs Far Cry 2, it was clearly an attempt to make the game better by removing inconveniences for the player, but I think the biggest mistake was adding in easy fast traveling. I think it really ended up removing the sense of place that Far Cry 2 did a really good job of achieving, even if it was tacked on to some fairly detrimental things. Lastly, I don't think Crowbcat's video is a demonstration of how Far Cry 2 is better. It's more of a condemnation of the fact that after ten years, millions more dollars, and an untold number of extra team members, it's a shame that many cool details are now missing from the new game, especially when they represent ways in which the environment is reactive if only superficially.

Lastly, I feel your use of the term "cult classic" is a bit clumsy. Obviously "blah blah semantics," but I'd argue that the important bit when determining whether or not something is a cult classic is that it has to be either completely unknown or a total commercial failure when it was first released, but it manages to grow in popularity afterwards due to a dedicated fan base. From my understanding, Far Cry 2 wasn't a commercial failure on release, nor is it unknown. As for people viewing something different over time, I think that's a universal for every creative work.