Poll: Is it morally wrong to eat cats and dogs?

Biodeamon

Apr 11, 2011
Not in the least bit. I bet if peopel hadn`t used dogs as helpers or where enslaved by cats i bet people would om nom cat-burgers and hotdogs. You see that`s the thing about morals, there are none. just a collective acceptance through a society that calls things "right" and "wrong", and who don't agree with their flawed ideals are cast out as "crazy" and "evil".

So no, there is absoulutely nothing wrong with eating pets.

emeraldrafael

Jul 17, 2010
If its a pet, I can see why you would view it as more wrong then if it were a normal mongrol you found on the street. BUt in times of trial and tribulation where supplies are scarce, I'm going to think for myself, just as my pet most likely would. You think if you died and you pet didnt it and was hungry enough it wouldnt eat you?

<spoiler=I dont know, I look at it the same way as it is this morally wrong, even though its art>http://s1.hubimg.com/u/267132_f260.jpg

Thats the Vargas dog, by Guillermo Vargas where in his native country dogs run wild and mangy in the streets. He took a starving dog and in dog kibble, out of the dogs reach, he put "Eres Lo Que Lees" ("You Are What You Read"). Is this morally right because its art, even though the dog is suffering? Its a blurred line, circumstantial, and completely reliant on the individuals thoughts.

inFAMOUSCowZ

Jul 12, 2010
As long as its good I wont care, and as long it wasnt one of my dogs. I also doubt I'd order cat/dog, but lets say at my local Chinese restaurant, they really are serving us dog,/ cat, i wouldnt stop going there.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
Who Dares Wins said:
It's against my religion, it probably has awful taste and why the fuck would you want to eat a dog or a cat.
As opposed to what? A pig that rolls around in its own shit all day?

OT: It'd be weird to eat them, certainly not morally wrong.

scorptatious

The Resident Team ICO Fanboy
May 14, 2009
I wouldn't eat cats and dogs personally, but if other people do then that's no skin on my nose.

Jerome9157

Nov 22, 2010
Morally, yes, as humans have a much more complex social-co-existance/relationship with cats and dogs than, say, cows and chickens.

Snake Plissken

Jul 30, 2010
I don't want to eat my dogs any more than I want to eat a cow or pig.

There are other reasons that humanity, as a whole, doesn't eat those types of animals. They tend to be too lean, very stringy, and rather greasy. If given a choice over which animal to devour, they generally go with domesticated livestock rather than pets. On top of their flavor profile, they aren't financially viable livestock opportunities. Cows cost a lot to raise, but they offer a greater payoff. Chickens are relatively small, but they're cheap and provide other food for us (eggs). Pigs are somewhere in between. Fish are practically free. Dogs and cats are relatively expensive to care for, and offer very little meat once slaughtered.

There are other evolutionary aspects to consider, as well, about the implications of our domestication of dogs and cats as companions and friends rather than food. Somewhere, deep in all of us, we'd inherently want to protect a dog or cat instead of eating it.

Even is Asian countries, dog isn't as widely consumed as other forms of livestock. I won't go so far as to say it's a delicacy, but it's not like everyone there is eating dogs for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. On top of that, they breed specific dogs for their meat, and those dogs generally make unsuitable pets. It's not like they're roasting Corgis over spitfires.

New Frontiersman

Feb 2, 2010
I don't think it's morally wrong to eat a dog or a cat, not more than eating any other kind of animal. That doesn't mean I would do it though.

ryai458

Oct 20, 2008
Who Dares Wins said:
It's against my religion, it probably has awful taste and why the fuck would you want to eat a dog or a cat.
What religion is that?
OT: No, weird and maybe looked down upon but morally wrong no, now if it was a close pet and friend yes.

Chelsizzle

Jun 29, 2008
Not morally wrong, but you'd probably be judged negatively for it.

That being said, I'd probably try it. Just to say I have.

linkmastr001

May 22, 2009
No, it's just a cultural thing. Let me ask you this, is it morally wrong to eat cows because some people revere them, or at least hold them in high standard?

ace_the_poet

Feb 17, 2010
lol, only one person thinks its only wrong to eat cats. Well, so far. Overall, an overwhelming majority I expected. We're an open-minded bunch on the escapist.

Bara_no_Hime

Sep 15, 2010
Atheist. said:
Dogs are actually omnivores with a carnivore bias.
Huh. I did not know that. ^^

Atheist. said:
Eating dogs and cats in the west is generally considered taboo. It doesn't conform to the social mores we have established. Since morality is part of the subjective reality we call live, it's held in the eyes of the beholder.
I see where you're going with that, but that is a slippery slope. A few years ago (eg pre-1980s), homosexuality was considered taboo. There still wasn't anything morally wrong about it.

Morality has to do with "the good" - speaking philosophically - and that usually has to do with harming others or improving your living conditions. It doesn't harm society to eat a dog, and if you're starving, I imagine it would improve your living conditions.

Of course, if you ate Timmy's beloved dog, then you've harmed Timmy. That would be morally wrong, but it would have more to do with stealing a beloved companion from Timmy than the fact that you ate him. IE - running over Timmy's dog is just as bad.

Agayek

Ravenous Gormandizer
Oct 23, 2008
Is it wrong to eat cats and dogs in general? Not at all.

Is it wrong to eat someone's (or even your own) pet? I'd say yes, regardless of the species.

The difference is really in the emotional investment into said animal. If it's just some random animal, it's no more or less wrong than eating beef or whatever. If it is an actual pet though, I can't condone it. People put a lot of time and money into the thing, not to mention that they care about it a hell of a lot.

tigermilk

Sep 4, 2010
I would be hesitant about eating an animal that eats animals. Its nothing to do with morality/ethics and all to do with it being questionable for your health (possibility of food poisoning etc) to eat animals that eat animals. On the other hand if they are farmed safely it may be safe.

Personally though I would choose not to in all but the most of desperate situations because cats are cute as a ************ and I am a hypocrite (doubly hypocritical because I eat duck and they too are cute as a ************).

KarmaTheAlligator

Mar 2, 2011
Neither is morally wrong, but I personally find the idea disturbing. But then again, the idea of eating meat disgusts me.