Poll: Is It Ok To Eat Animals Considered Pets? (Please Read The Post First lol)

Lullabye

Oct 23, 2008

OMNOMNOMNOMNOMNOMNOM

But seriously, I don't see a problem with it. So yeah, I think it's all right.

kurupt87

Fuhuhzucking hellcocks I'm good
Mar 17, 2010
If I had a choice I would choose not to eat cat or dog. If I was especially hungry or put in a situation where it'd be rude to refuse the food then I would eat it.

Sonicron

Do the buttwalk!
Mar 11, 2009
Depends on the personal, social and cultural context, I suppose.
Like many people beside me I've had rabbit quite often, and I once tried guineapig (delicious!).

pffh

Oct 10, 2008
Yeah, I wouldn't mind trying a cat or a dog. Hell my favorite meat is a pony and I'm sure horses are considered pets (maybe not house pets but pets non the less).

Kagim

Aug 26, 2009
Its based on your culture. We don't eat dogs and cats because they serve a purpose to us.

Cats are useful in farms because they eat pests that would damage crops and scare farm animals.
Dogs are useful for herding, hunting, and defending your home.

Its the same reason why we don't eat horses. They are more useful to us as work animals the food. If we never realized how useful dogs were for hunting we probably never would have domesticated them. Same with cats.

Our culture has stuck to these principals. We keep dogs as companions and some people do take them hunting. Cats are company along with a way to discourage rodents from moving in.

I'm not trying to make a case of unfeeling robot nature. I spoil the hell out of my cat for no other reason then i think she's awesome. It just in context of eating pets or not that's really a big reason why our culture doesn't do it.

I can almost guarantee you that if cats and dogs were never decided to serve us a purpose we would have some food made from them.

atalanta

Dec 27, 2009
AccursedTheory said:
When you hear of people eating 'pets,' you are mistaken. I'll use Korea as an example.

They eat dogs.

But they don;t eat fluffy. They eat a breed of dogs that resemble cows more than dogs. They have no intellect (its like looking a cow in the eye, not a dog), spend their lives penned up in living areas, and couldn't be turned into pets if you tried.

As for eating them.. if it was like what I describe, than sure. Now, kidnapping fluffy and having a grill out... no.
Yeah, watch your facts, bro. Most Koreans do not regularly eat dog (most Koreans have never even tried dog), selling dog meat is illegal (although some people do it anyways), and nureongi are essentially mutts and mongrels, not some super-special cowdog (seriously, wtf?).

As for eating pets in general -- some people have pet lambs, goats, rabbits, horses, and birds, all of which are or were commonly eaten. My mother had a pet rooster when she was younger; she still eats chicken. The difference between companion animals and food animals is entirely arbitrary.

Sepiida

Jan 25, 2010
If you have no problem eating a cow you should have no problem eating a cat. They have exactly the same capacity to suffer. Personally, I'm vegetarian so I've got a different view on the matter than most here.

On a side note, most pet adoption agencies actually make you sign a form stating you do not intend to use the animal you're adopting for food. I remember reading it when I got my cat and thought it was weird at the time but I guess there's a reason for it.

BehattedWanderer

Fell off the Alligator.
Jun 24, 2009
Surely. As an individual who has had the choice of eating an animal under those specific circumstances (cat and dog both). They are quite edible, and very delicious when prepared as they are for the appropriate custom. I'm still waiting to find a place to try Horse, personally.

Pimppeter2 said:
I think the better question is: Do cats taste like chicken?
A bit, yeah. Usually about chicken tender sized meat pieces, too.

DefunctTheory

Not So Defunct Now
Mar 30, 2010
atalanta said:
AccursedTheory said:
When you hear of people eating 'pets,' you are mistaken. I'll use Korea as an example.

They eat dogs.

But they don;t eat fluffy. They eat a breed of dogs that resemble cows more than dogs. They have no intellect (its like looking a cow in the eye, not a dog), spend their lives penned up in living areas, and couldn't be turned into pets if you tried.

As for eating them.. if it was like what I describe, than sure. Now, kidnapping fluffy and having a grill out... no.
Yeah, watch your facts, bro. Most Koreans do not regularly eat dog (most Koreans have never even tried dog), selling dog meat is illegal (although some people do it anyways), and nureongi are essentially mutts and mongrels, not some super-special cowdog (seriously, wtf?).

As for eating pets in general -- some people have pet lambs, goats, rabbits, horses, and birds, all of which are or were commonly eaten. My mother had a pet rooster when she was younger; she still eats chicken. The difference between companion animals and food animals is entirely arbitrary.
I was in Korea. They eat dogs in there shopping malls. I've been to the dog farms, which are in populated, easily found areas.

While it is illegal, the laws are simply not enforced. South Korea is HORRIBLE about things like this. Hell, they have an entire street that is nothing but a quarter mile of prostitution houses where the majority of the women are SLAVES, and they honestly don't care.

Look it up, they don't care.

pffh

Oct 10, 2008
BehattedWanderer said:
Surely. As an individual who has had the choice of eating an animal under those specific circumstances (cat and dog both). They are quite edible, and very delicious when prepared as they are for the appropriate custom. I'm still waiting to find a place to try Horse, personally.

Pimppeter2 said:
I think the better question is: Do cats taste like chicken?
A bit, yeah. Usually about chicken tender sized meat pieces, too.
If you do find a place where you can try horse try to get a pony, the younger the horse the better it is. Also because of it's taste do not order a rare (medium or medium-rare for the fullest flavor).

2xDouble

Mar 15, 2010
here's the thing... we don't eat dogs and cats because they're more useful to us as hunters. cats eat mice, dogs attack intruders and other rodentia (at least the good ones do). Lamb/sheep is less common because it's more useful for wool. goat and horse are even less commonly eaten because of their uses as pack animals, etc. It societal evolution.

We also don't consider eating them because most of them are cute, or at least bred over the generations to be cuter and better companions.

Anything else, that serves no useful purpose, I say chow down just like our ancestors did. just as long as it was a relatively humane kill.

And no, cat does not taste like chicken. wild cat tastes a little like squirrel.

although... I am against kidnapping house pets or stealing from PETA or the Humane Society just to eat them. that's just dick. you're better off eating rat, snake, or squirrel. they're healthier for you anyway. (saw that on MANswers)

CoverYourHead

High Priest of C'Thulhu
Dec 7, 2008
Yeah, sure, why not? They're made of meat and not people, therefore: The buffet is open!

Acier

Nov 5, 2009
My friend went to Chile and she had Guinea pig. Apparently that's what they were originally bred for

faceless chick

Sep 19, 2009
chinese eat cats and dogs..we eat cows..chickens are also pets to some people.

we have a saying here "whatever flies is eatable"..so yeah, knock yourself out.