Poll: Is It Ok To Eat Animals Considered Pets? (Please Read The Post First lol)

BehattedWanderer

Fell off the Alligator.
Jun 24, 2009
pffh said:
BehattedWanderer said:
Surely. As an individual who has had the choice of eating an animal under those specific circumstances (cat and dog both). They are quite edible, and very delicious when prepared as they are for the appropriate custom. I'm still waiting to find a place to try Horse, personally.

Pimppeter2 said:
I think the better question is: Do cats taste like chicken?
A bit, yeah. Usually about chicken tender sized meat pieces, too.
If you do find a place where you can try horse try to get a pony, the younger the horse the better it is. Also because of it's taste do not order a rare (medium or medium-rare for the fullest flavor).
Thanks for the advice, but I actually never suggest how I want the meal prepared. I find the best way to experience the taste is have them prepare it for you. Much more culturally immersive like that.

Quiet Stranger

Feb 4, 2006
Pimppeter2 said:
I was actually just about to say it's really all how they taste, also not knowing you're eating something is nice too, like say someone tells you you're eating meat but you're really eating that vegi shit, for a better example, I was invited over to a neighbors house one day for hamburgers, little did I realize they were moose burgers, but I ate them anyways (because I thought they were something they weren't)

Cabamacadaf

Mar 17, 2009
I think it's ok if other people want to eat them, but I probably wouldn't want to eat them myself.

Stevo_s

Working on Avatar
Jan 24, 2010
Pimppeter2 said:
Do you just go around posting awesomeness all over this website? Made me laugh a lot!

Yes it is. If your hungry enough a dog will look very appetizing.

Quaidis

Jun 1, 2008
I would not consider cat and dog farms, and eating a mammalian carnivore seems wrong to me. The latter is mainly due to the fact that there are so many herbivorous and seed-eating creatures out there that the point of eating fluffy seems mute. I could easily eat a rabbit, guinea pig, squirrel, or some similar rodent. I could also eat horse if I had no other choice (such as the leg being broken or the horse dieing suddenly from something like colic or an accident.) Though eating horse seems like a waste since they make wonderful pack and riding creatures.

Now if I was starving to death and dogs are running wild everywhere to the point that no one is keeping them in check. Well, that's a different story. I don't see much meat in cats to make a use of them. The pet goldfish? No problem. If I was in some African tribe and killing my pet dog was the only way to become a man? No problem. In all other cases, well, eating the dog would all depend on how much I absolutely hated it.

GunboatDiplomat

Mar 23, 2009
I love my liddle puddycat fifi.

But if things got tough, I got hungry and there was no other food... Well, she'd eat me if she was 10 times my size.

I ate dog when I was in vietnam, meat is meat. But then i don't really like dogs...

Necromancer1991

Apr 9, 2010
What animal are they, some loonys like to keep chicken and turkeys and other tasty animals as pets. No cats and Dogs or smalls rodents for me.

phimax100

Feb 8, 2010
I think a lot of people are misinterpreting the question. OP asked whether it's morally acceptable to eat pets, not whether you would or not. I for one would never eat my dog unless I would die if I didn't. But I do think it's morally acceptable to eat pets since we are the dominant species. Looking at it that way, pets are no different than cattle.

Seydaman

Nov 21, 2008
Pimppeter2 said:
Yes,
It's the same as eating any other, buut because we have grown acustom to them being seen as sort of second class citizens we don't like the idea of eating them, as it sits somewhere in the area of cannibalism

TehCookie

Elite Member
Sep 16, 2008
It depends, if it was raised as food it would be ok, but if it was your pet than no.

GL2814E

Feb 16, 2010
EMFCRACKSHOT said:
The only reason people don't eat pets is because of the thousands of years of growing an ever increasing emotional attachment to them. Without this, people would most likely simply see cats and dogs and so on as another food source. Its just the same as eating any other animal really.
I just had a thought, lets kill all of our pets and make poverty history by feeding them to the poor. Same thing works for people too xD
Poverty wouldn't be erased by feeding the poor people animals. Hunger would briefly be eliminated.

But the people would still be poor.

Besides, if people are willing to raise hell over gun-regulation, I imagine they'd flip the hell out if the government or some N.G.O. tried to come in their homes to redistribute their pets to the poors' stomachs...

Ishadus

Apr 3, 2010
Vegetarian since I was 15 here, so I wouldn't touch them anymore than any other animal. But if you make the decision to eat meat in your life, I see no moral difference from a dog than a cow. Nor between a bird, snake, or rat. The only difference is in one's mind; one doesn't have an innately more valuable life than the other.

Eat whatever "lower" form of life you like be it nematodes, dung beetles, or republicans.

I kid, I kid. I actually think beetles are kind of cool.

Manatee Slayer

Apr 21, 2010
Ishadus said:
If you make the decision to eat meat in your life, I see no moral difference from a dog than a cow. Nor between a bird, snake, or rat. The only difference is in one's mind; one doesn't have an innately more valuable life than the other.
Yeah, this is where I am really. I always wondered why people thought one was OK and others wern't and I just couldn't get away from the fact than in peoples mind one was worth more than the other. I realise it depends on the countries history and the animals that have been deemed 'pet animals' and 'food animals' but they are both still living things, regardless of intelligence.

T-Bone24

Dec 29, 2008
I remember seeing a news report about this, and the reporter went to China (I think) and asked this woman, who was holding her pet dog while giving the interview, if she would kill and eat her pet. What? I'm sure that man was an idiot. People eat dog over there, but not their own pets. It's like how some people keep little pigs as pets, they don't cut them into bacon and eat them after a few weeks. They eat dogs specially bred to be eaten, like cows, pigs or sheep. I wouldn't eat a pet, but I would eat a dog, if it tasted good.