Poll: Is It Ok To Eat Animals Considered Pets? (Please Read The Post First lol)

tzimize

Mar 1, 2010
I think its ok.
I'd probably taste it if I had the chance, but its not a life goal of mine, I'm fine with pork/beef. Sheep taste like sweaty feet.

I'd never eat my own pet though(unless there was some sort of world crisis and there was no food anywhere).

dagens24

Mar 20, 2004
My friend (teaching over seas for a year) tried dog for the first time the other day. Said it was actually really good.

Sewer Rat

Sep 14, 2008
In a few specific situations:
A. They are nobodies pet and are not domesticated.
B. It is a life or death situation where you absolutely have to eat something.

reg42

Mar 18, 2009
It's just a cultural thing. I wouldn't eat a dog or cat, because I view them as companions, not food. There isn't any real difference.

Daverson

Nov 17, 2009
Yes. However, it's inefficient to do so, as these animals are carnivores. The majority of the meat we eat comes from herbivores, as they're a lot cheaper to raise, and have a give a larger amount of meat afterwards!

If you're from the UK, then you've probably eaten rabbit, which is also a common pet around here!

ezeroast

Jan 25, 2009
i'm not going to eat anyones loved pet, but I'll definitely eat a dog, cat, rabbit, horse, pig, budgie or any other domesticated animal.

Food is food, I wanna try it all at least once..

Ishadus

Apr 3, 2010
captainfluoxetine said:
As a vegeterian this is something which annoys me. People will mock/belittle my not eating animals but assoon as you offer them dog or cat on a plate they spazz out.
Hypocrisy in general is pretty annoying, I'd say. I've made my decision on how to live my life based on energy consumption and environmentalism (animal rights, although a factor, is not a major one). People that choose otherwise, well that's perfectly fine. It's their life after all. My only wish is that those who choose to eat meat would do so intelligently. Too many people approach it with a mindset of "da aneemals go in mah mouth dur hur hur." Probably the same types of people who ate lead based paint chips as a child and who think ketchup is a vegetable.

If someone wants to eat meat, go right ahead, but it shouldn't be too much to ask to not be ignorant about it, you know?

Daverson said:
Yes. However, it's inefficient to do so, as these animals are carnivores. The majority of the meat we eat comes from herbivores
Absolutely correct. Energy gets lost in each transition which makes eating carnivores inefficient. Eating herbivores is definitely better from an energy standpoint, and eating plants rather than herbivores is optimal at that ;)

From a moral standpoint, however, if eating one type of animal is objectively okay, I can't see an argument that claims eating another type of animal would not likewise be objectively okay. Calling something Fluffy does not cause the hand of God to descend and raise the creature to a more intelligent, higher order of life.

notyouraveragejoe

Dehakchakala!
Nov 8, 2008
Pimppeter2 said:
I think the better question is: Do cats taste like chicken?
In my opinion I found that cat tasted like rabbit. I liked it.

As that^ reply has shown I have eaten "pets" and I think it is fine. There are some animals however I won't eat, Dog and Shark (because of the way they get the shark fin). But really everything, pets, not-pets, ultra-exotic is fair game so long as it isn't endangered (and tastes good).

DividedUnity

Oct 19, 2009
It hasnt stopped the french eating horse. OT: you can eat whatever you want (excluding other people because thats illegal) if you can deal with the thought. I would never be able to eat dog because id always be thinking of 101 dalamatians

Perticular Elk

Jul 9, 2008
An animal is an animal. there really isn't a difference between a dog and a pig and a cat. If you desire to eat one that is your prerogative.

PhunkyPhazon

Dec 23, 2009
...Interesting question. I'd say no, and I have a bit of a story to go with it.

Before I was born, my family lived in Orange County, California. Sometime during the mid to late 80's, Vietnamese people started moving in. In Vietnam, people eat dogs. No one thinks twice about it, it's just like how we eat beef and chicken without caring. Well, as soon as the Vietnamese began showing up, people's dog's actually started to disappear. It doesn't take a genius to figure out what happened to them.

I don't think you should buy your food at the pet store either, because over here that might be considered animal cruelty, and therefore illegal. And even if it isn't, it just doesn't sit right with me. I'd say if you really want to taste dog or cat meat, you should just take a vacation to a country where people eat them all the time. Or import the meat off the internet. (I'm sure you can)

Billion Backs

Apr 20, 2010
Sure, why not?

Meat is meat, no matter where it comes from.

Of course, choosing to eat a cat over a pig/cow is probably stupid... Cows/pigs grow bigger, we've been cooking them for centuries, and they're herbivores. The latter should be noted because I'm pretty sure that carnivore creature meat is generally more stringy and smelly.

But if you grow dogs/cats/whatever pet animal in order to eat it, I don't see any problem with it.

I've personally tried a frog and a horse, but since neither of them really count as pets, it's a pointless tidbid of information.

SextusMaximus

Nightingale Assassin
May 20, 2009
Of course, if we eat other animals then why not animals that could be considered pets. Though it's best not to eat someone elses pet on the grounds that they may get angry with you.

Doitpow

Mar 18, 2009
Can some food be trained as a pet?

* shouting at carrot

FETCH!
FETCH!
......stubborn bastard.