Poll: Is It Ok To Eat Animals Considered Pets? (Please Read The Post First lol)

DoW Lowen

Exarch
Jan 11, 2009
Pimppeter2 said:
I think the better question is: Do cats taste like chicken?
I don't know about cats but horse tastes like chicken, so does crocodile. Kangaroo tastes like beef and so does Ox tongue. Snake however tastes like fish.

Yes, Vietnamese-Australian here. I've actually never eaten dog though. I have however bitten the head off a baby duck... yummmm

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Well, anything can be considerd a pet, depending on how well you've tamed it.

But eating a cat or a dog just seems wrong. Maybe it's because they're carnivorous mammals?

dontcallmemuffin

Apr 18, 2010
i understand that some cultures dont see pets the same way we do, i love animals and i wouldnt eat cats or dogs. but ill still eat other animals, i just eat wants on the plate. it might seem wrong to put certain animals above others but that doesnt mean we should give up on being omnivores

WolfThomas

Man must have a code.
Dec 21, 2007
Well when I was Vietnam I was told that eating dog wasn't an every day thing, it was rather something you did when you had some really bad luck, apparently eating dog resets your luck.

I wouldn't eat dogs or cats because they serve a purpose (or used to) in human society, dogs guard or hunt, cat's kill rodents. Their ancestors eat them an exemption from our food chain. But I would have no qualms to keeping rabbits in a cage and killing and eating them regularly for food.

Crayzor

Aug 16, 2009
I don't think I would have a problem with eating animals considered pets. Rabbit is delicious and I can differentiate between animals raised for food and those that are merely kept as pets. I wouldn't have a problem with eating an animal raised to be eaten, regardless of species, but I wouldn't be comforatble eating a specific animal that was someone's pet. Unless I was starving, of course.

wordsmith

TF2 Group Admin
May 1, 2008
This would depend: Are they "named" animals? By "named", I don't mean named Pork, Beef or Dinner, I mean named as in given a name.

Manatee Slayer said:
purposley not giving them names.
No? In that case, game on!

My family keep chickens, we eat the eggs, but not the chickens. What's the difference between Miss Free-Range from Marks and Spencer and Daffodil the chicken from down the bottom of the garden? Daf's has been named.

Jan 23, 2010
I wouldn't eat my own pet but I would like to try eating dog or cat some time, mostly out of curiosity and the fact that I don't see anything wrong about it.

Rabbit and horse meat is delicious by the way.

ntnimara

Oct 3, 2008
so like.. your scenario on a planetary level would be: some advanced race of aliens teraform planets and make it such that the essential building blocks to life and evolution are there..

all these planets begin to evolve and grow.. into something edible.. and eventually.. millions of years later, the aliens come back.. to reap their harvest and feast..

tic tac tic tac everyone

Kurokami

Feb 23, 2009
Manatee Slayer said:
First, I would like to start off with a disclaimer: I am in no way planning or advising anyone to eat any animal(unless they really want to). I am just playing devil's advocate out of interest of people's opinions. So please don't flame me. :p

Now That's over, I was just wondering if you considered it OK to eat an animal that is considered as a 'pet animal' in your country. For me (Britain) this would be cat's, dogs etc. as would many other countries.

Now, the scenario is such, you buy a group of the animal, cats for example and keep them in a suitable area rearing them as you would piglets, lambs or calfs, purposley not giving them names. Would you consider it morally alright to kill and eat them as you would the latter 'livestock' mentioned.

I just randomly came up with this question and have been thinking about it quite a bit. I know it is different depending on your culture, there are some countries that do eat these animals and rarely eat what we consider edible animals lol.

Also, if you do think it's wrong, would it just be wrong for you to do or anyone and do you think it's because of the way you have been brought up or just...because? lol

Thanks for replying.
The only thing that should stop you is if its at someone's (a person, don't give a shit about animals, sorry) expense, ie: I wouldn't sneak around and eat other peoples pets unless I was desperate, but if you buy yourself a pet and decide to eat it (without having a family member whose become attached to it) than you may do as you wish.

What's the common reasoning as to why you shouldn't do it?

Wrathful said:
Honestly eating cats has never crossed my mind. if you think animals are meat, then you might eventually consider being cannibal. It's bad to be picky but also you need to have some kind of line you have to watch out like everything is. I think it's much safer and sane sticking to farm animals. I swear some people just try anything I find it amusing and ridiculous at the same time.
Eating a human being, a sentient being is different than eating other animals. I promise you the moment a talking cow makes a knock knock joke I would raise the 'animal rights' sign... Actually I would probably just read it in the newspaper and ignore it, but you get my point, I'm sure.

As for trying anything, sure why not? You can't say its good or bad without trying it, and while farm animals are raised in bigger numbers, we're definitely not short on cats.

Eat up.

Manatee Slayer

Apr 21, 2010
Exactly, that's why I wanted people's opinions. What is the common reasoning?

I am pretty open minded about food, I would be willing to try dogs and cats etc and as people have said previously horse is very nice.

I would draw a reasonable line at cannabalism though, unless COMPLETELY necassary. I would never be able to eat someone's pet wether it be a dog or a cow but I have a feeling that's more to do with the human's feelings and not the animals, because I wouldn't want anyone to do that with my two cats.

ZephrC

Free Cascadia!
Mar 9, 2010
There's nothing particularly wrong with eating any animal as long as they aren't self-aware, as far as I'm concerned. However, I'm more than just a little bit dubious of someone who would eat a type of animal that they have been raised to think of as a companion.

There's nothing wrong with eating cat or dog, and I have nothing against cultures that do, but eating pets seems like a betrayal. At least that's how I see it. Not a betrayal of the animal, but a certain sort of mindset that allows betrayal, if you can see what I mean. I simply wouldn't trust a person who was capable of such a thing.

Manatee Slayer

Apr 21, 2010
ZephrC said:
There's nothing wrong with eating cat or dog, and I have nothing against cultures that do, but eating pets seems like a betrayal. At least that's how I see it. Not a betrayal of the animal, but a certain sort of mindset that allows betrayal, if you can see what I mean. I simply wouldn't trust a person who was capable of such a thing.
Do you mean eat someone's pet or an animal that is considered a standard 'pet' in the culture?

Claymorez

Our King
Apr 20, 2009
I suspect the government has taken the fun out of speculation by making it illegal...UNLESS THEY ARE BATS! Most British MP's hate bats after a single bat nearly brought rabbies to the uk.

JLML

Feb 18, 2010
No, I don't think it's ok. but then again I don't think it's ok to kill any living being unless it's your only option for survival. (except killing politicians for fun of course, but they can't be considered living beings, now can they? =P)

Rakkana

Nov 17, 2009
I would never harm a dog unless they mean me harm and wouldn't even think of eating it. I have too much respect for dogs.

Don't mind eating cats though I really hate cats...

ZephrC

Free Cascadia!
Mar 9, 2010
Manatee Slayer said:
ZephrC said:
Do you mean eat someone's pet or an animal that is considered a standard 'pet' in the culture?
Any animal that is considered a standard pet in the culture.