Poll: Is it okay for people to google others to find out information?

Insanum

The Basement Caretaker.
May 26, 2009
Well if i put my social life, friends, Etc on the internet, I cant really complain if people stalk me.

Plurralbles

Jan 12, 2010
I don't think you should be able to, let alone if it's right or not. Google shouldn't have our entire lives, including our p;honse and homeaddresses without express permission.

Sure you can go tell them and make it so they can't, but that still leaves Facebook and other privacy invading sites that can easily be googled and searched.

I just noticed just how huge my online footprint was and it's not pretty.

A simple phone number and I can find anyone's homeaddress if it's not restricted. A scary place.

EMFCRACKSHOT

Not quite Cthulhu
May 25, 2009
Stranger 517 said:
Meh, when I google myself all I get is some terrible country singer also named Cory Morrow.

And when I decided to do an image search, I found out that he looks like a pedophile.
When i google myself i end up with results for some country singer called michael macdonald. he too looks like a pedophile.

when i google emfcrackshot though i get pages and pages related me xD

I think its one of those things that has good and bad points. It can be good because it lets you get in touch with people you haven't seen in a while, and its bad because it opens people up to stalkers, rapists, robbers etc.
And also, its not illegal unless its things like credit card details etc. pics and facebook status updates and stuff are fair game

benoitowns

Oct 18, 2009
If you are American, its unconstitutional. We have a right to privacy, and Google breaks it. But its like I really care that much so whatever

Good morning blues

Sep 24, 2008
Depends on the context. I do this for work all the time, but I'm a news reporter. If someone did this to me for personal reasons, I would be extremely unhappy about it.

fgdfgdgd

May 9, 2009
zohmbee said:
Stranger 517 said:
Meh, when I google myself all I get is some terrible country singer also named Cory Morrow.
>_>
<_<
-runs off to Google-Stalk you now-

OT: All kidding aside, it's the internet. If you put it up there, someone's going to find out how to get it, because nothing is actually private. Sooooo... just don't go off telling people/posting where you live or your full real name or your mother's maiden name and you'll be golden. I'm not saying it's right, but it's your own fault if someone finds your address or workplace because it means you've put it somewhere where Google will find it, or you've told someone else and THEY'VE put it somewhere.
i refer you to this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R7yfV6RzE30

teutonicman

Mar 30, 2009
I don't think so, it kin of reminds me of when people hire a private investigator. Also I consider anything I but on the internet to be public knowledge.

Kaymish

The Morally Bankrupt Weasel
Sep 10, 2008
yes if its that easy to find its a crime not to use it

The HR department of my company does it all the time before they decide to give some one a job interview and its not an uncommon practice the world over

Vitor Goncalves

Mar 22, 2010
I think its ok unless the information exposed was not so with the person permission.

Otherwise if someone has its name and personal information in webpages available to the public, then its no longer private information. If you decide to expose yourself, can't blame others to check on you.

Queen Michael

has read 4,010 manga books
Jun 9, 2009
I see nothing wrong with it. If it's available information, why not? Unless, of course, it's really private stuff, like dirty photos posted on the web against their will.

s0p0g

Aug 24, 2009
uhm... stalkers, anyone?
i'd only do that if they told me it was okay (for example, a colleague of mine just doesn't remember his phone number, but he told me i could google it via his badminton club's site)
(omg, did i just mention sports on a gaming/gamers network site? burn me)

Bellvedere

Jul 31, 2008
Aurora219 said:
No, but I'd like to see you stop someone doing it.
This.

It can be hard to resist if the information is freely available. I asked this one guy out when I was really drunk, I was experiencing technical difficulties with my vision, so I used facebook stalk him so that I could find out what he looked like... It's something I would have known unless if I wasn't completely trashed at the time. Probably my worst online stalking offence. Which I don't think is SO bad.

I suppose you're motivation for doing it would factor into how wrong it is too. Though if they make the information accessible like on facebook, then they have no one but themselves to blame.

I don't think that the internet existing is the problem, I think it's the internet being so accessible to everyone. Once the internet was a far less secure place and people were wary. Now there's this illusion of privacy and safety like it's something you're entitled to and can be guaranteed.

Spiner909

Dec 3, 2009
Well, I find it a bit creepy. I don't do it to any one I personally know, unless they want me to.