Poll: Is it okay for people to google others to find out information?

o_O

Jul 19, 2009
No, not really. If you do it, you've crossed into stalker territory. And last I checked, it wasn't a good idea to stalk people.

Pity that won't change a damn thing though.

Marter

Elite Member
Legacy
Oct 27, 2009
It's your own fault if you allow someone access to your information. Only put out what you are actually okay with people seeing. Then you don't have to worry about it.

Veleste

Mar 27, 2010
Many of my less computer savvy acquaintances who have to use the internet for work and got a scare about the whole facebook information debacle. You'd be surprised how much you can find with an email address, a name and country or even just a date of birth. They used to give me money to find everything I could about them so they could remove it.

I would encourage everyone to try find themselves online. I deleted a lot of old forum profiles, old blogs and information sharing accounts like Flickr that I used back when I didn't understand about protecting my privacy on the net. People were able to find my name, age, address without trying too hard. It's peoples own responsibility to protect their information. Looking people up online is no more wrong than reading a billboard they put up by the side of the road with their info on.

Slipped Mind

Apr 3, 2009
It'd depend why you're searching for information on the person, I guess.

Googling to stalk is WRONG, people. Wrong, wrong, wrong.

TheTaco007

Sep 10, 2009
Not if they're doing some creepy stalker-thing. That's not cool.
But if you're checking to see if someone's a known sex offender or something, then by all means, google away.