Poll: Is it sexist that men in the military have to shave their heads and women don't?

MetroidNut

Sep 2, 2009
AccursedTheory said:
Bestival said:
I disagree with anything and everything the army does, so also this!
Never made much sense to me anyway, when you see those dudes that have a shaved head and a fucking ZZ Top beard. How the hell does that work?
...What?

Who's Army are you looking at?
Delta Force, apparently.

The military would, presumably, want everyone to shave their heads for the purpose of uniformity if it was practical. But where it is reasonable to require men to shave their heads, it is unreasonable to require women to, since a shaved head is much more socially acceptable for men than women. So I guess you can argue it's sexist, but if so, the issue is sexism within society at large, not the military.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
It's inherently sexist, as sexism is "discrimination based on gender". And they're saying "You get a crew cut, because you're male. You don't, because you're female." Very sexist.

...The thing is, who cares? It's not hurting anyone.

Just because it's sexist doesn't mean it has to be eliminated. Childbirth, for instance, is hilariously sexist.

DanielBrown

Dangerzone!
Dec 3, 2010
As a man with waist long hair and a great love to it, yes, I think it's sexist.
Glad I live in a country where the military doesn't want any people.

Akytalusia

Nov 11, 2010
as most agree; technically, yes, but i don't care. this kind of thing is on the level you could spin onto just about anything.

InfinityCubed

Aug 22, 2012
No, because women look silly with shaved heads and men don't. The entire purpose of the regulation is that people in the military should look dignified, not silly.

Bestival

May 5, 2012
AccursedTheory said:
Bestival said:
Never made much sense to me anyway, when you see those dudes that have a shaved head and a fucking ZZ Top beard. How the hell does that work?
...What?

None in particular, but ya just see pictures you know.

Kanova

Oct 26, 2011
lacktheknack said:
Just because it's sexist doesn't mean it has to be eliminated. Childbirth, for instance, is hilariously sexist.
Welp, it is kind of impossible for a man to have a kid. Meanwhile, it isn't impossible for a woman to have her head shaved.

TwoSidesOneCoin

Dec 11, 2010
I always shave my head bald. Why? Because I don't want to deal with the regulations of hair length and the $20 or so that the clippers that I use and the razors used to finely shave my head BALD have paid off. Makes having my ACH on my head easier if you ask me.

I've never really cared that female soldiers get to keep their hair longer, doesn't change a damn thing in how I do my job and go about my day.

My question for you (and looking back, yes I'm coming off as and asshole, but hey, Army life and my own assholeness have combined and made me a super asshole, deal with it) going back to my question.

YOU decided to join an Army, from your profile, the US flag, I'm guessing one of the military branches of the US, you decided to join, and abide the regulations of the branch you joined. Why are you questioning why the women in the service with you are able to keep their hair long?

Yes it's double standards and all, but let me ask another question.

Would you rather change the hair standard? Or the APFT standards? AKA men have to do 50+ pushups, 65+ situps, and -15 minute 2 mile run, whereas females do half or less to pass? Again call me an asshole if you will, but if I deploy and get shot and am surrounded with only women, I doubt they'll be able to drag my 235 lb ass into cover, oh wait, 260 lb ass loaded down with gear.

I'm a hell of a lot more concerned with the physical conditioning of females in the service rather than how they wear their damn hair.

(Jesus, I fucking rambled on and on, makes me feel like an old fucker!)

Scarecrow

Jun 27, 2010
Hectix777 said:
+THE POLL QUESTION IS: Do you think it's sexist that men in the military have to shave their heads, while women don't?+

I just joined the Corps of Cadets at my university in the hopes of straightening out my life, getting in shape, build confidence, etc. And around the third day of what my school calls FOW (picture military rush week) and that was the day we shaved our heads and essentially lost our individuality as a person and became fish (seriously my first name is now fish). Once a couple of male cadets got shaved (my brother, who is my superior, shaved my head in order to get a good shot for out old man) I noticed that the female cadets never got in the chair, they were never even called or looked at. At time of writing we're officially in day 2 of actual school and all any female cadets have to do in uniform is put their hair in a bun or ponytail. And I'm standing there thinking," wait, so I get my head shaved, and not only do they get to keep their but all they do is put their hair in a bun in uniform?" Does this not seem unfair to anyone else? I mean if the point of shaving our head was to destroy our individuality or keep the hair out of our eyes, wouldn't it be practical to apply it to both genders? On average women do have more hair then men, and if shaved that only creates less sense of individuality because now they lack sexual gender.

I'm just saying that this doesn't seem to be fair on terms of males and females. now before anyone starts: yes, this a man's world and has a lot of bias towards men being on top, and as of late women are becoming more prominent and even equal to men in many areas (Hell a Cadet from my school went on to contract in the military and won a Silver Star medal in combat, a female mind you) but there are still areas in the world where women receive more leniency than men.
IMPORTANT NOTE: This forum is meant STRICTLY for the discussion of female military personnel's grooming and the military dress code and the inequality between men and women in some aspect in this, not about women in the military, female bosses, sexuality, or anything else. I have no offense with those who wish to discuss these topics but I don't want this forum to turn into a massive war (hehe, get it?) where several people say something they didn't mean to because they didn't stop and think and end up getting banned. Please THINK and then post.
This is very off topic, but this has made me want to ask something. Why do you want to join a group that makes you a fish? Why sign away your individuality to such a large degree?

DefunctTheory

Not So Defunct Now
Mar 30, 2010
Bestival said:
AccursedTheory said:
Bestival said:
...What?

None in particular, but ya just see pictures you know.

To have a beard in the US Army, you need special permission to do so. There's only 3 excuses currently accepted.

1. Religious (Rare. Most Religious individuals in the military that follow beliefs that stipulate they need beards usually happily get rid of them, as such individuals usually believe that protecting ones family, country, and religious freedoms are more important. Their religious leaders typically agree).
2. Medical. Soldiers with a propensity for ingrown facial hair are allowed to do electric shaves that leave stubble rather then close shave. No medical permission for extended facial growth.
3. Mission parameters. A clean shaved face is a pretty good give-a-way when your trying to be a bit sneaky in the parts of the world we like to send bad asses too. It's also believed that looking like the locals helps when it comes to things like collaboration. This is why Special Forces and such are allowed to grow it out. As far as I know, this is actually no longer the case.

In addition, while you can argue that hair regulations are silly and make so sense, there's one very good reason for the no facial hair rule in the military.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Kanova said:
lacktheknack said:
Welp, it is kind of impossible for a man to have a kid. Meanwhile, it isn't impossible for a woman to have her head shaved.
Yet.

Having men get crew cuts still doesn't bother me. It's not like the women are allowed to trot around with ludicrous haircuts themselves, after all.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
AccursedTheory said:
Not really.

Hair standards for modern militaries are less about lice, and more about having soldiers that don't look like a crew of shitty 1980's mercenaries. Shaving a females hair, which may take years to grow back, really isn't practical. Sure, it may help with the whole training thing, but then what?

As it stands, be grateful. I knew a lot of females in the Army that had to wake up at 5 in the morning to be able to get their hair right for physical training.

You may not like short hair, but at least it's simple.
Why is it practical when men are made to shave their heads? What's stopping the women from looking like a "crew of shitty 1980's mercenaries?"

General Vagueness

Feb 24, 2009
Yes, but I'm not going to complain about it this soon after they got full clearance to be in any* military position.
* IIRC, there are a handful they can't be in that are pretty rare and not very sought-after-- please correct me if I'm wrong

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
TwoSidesOneCoin said:
Again call me an asshole if you will, but if I deploy and get shot and am surrounded with only women, I doubt they'll be able to drag my 235 lb ass into cover, oh wait, 260 lb ass loaded down with gear.
Talk from actual military folk who have been in that situation would indicate you're wrong. Not an asshole, but definitely not correct.

spartan231490

Jan 14, 2010
Let us think about this for a minute. The men have to and the women don't . . . is that sexist? Do you really even have to ask? But why aren't we talking about women not having to register for selective service? Really, WHY IS THIS STILL A THING?!!!

Kyrinn

May 10, 2011
I suppose. I mean if you consider it discrimination against men you could call it sexist. However, I believe this is a textbook example of picking your battles. While you may see it as sexist, I do not believe it is worth citing sexism to attempt to change the fact that you have to shave your head.

Also I imagine the female regulations are just as, if not more strict than the male ones because they are allowed to keep their hair long.

DefunctTheory

Not So Defunct Now
Mar 30, 2010
Zachary Amaranth said:
AccursedTheory said:
Not really.

Hair standards for modern militaries are less about lice, and more about having soldiers that don't look like a crew of shitty 1980's mercenaries. Shaving a females hair, which may take years to grow back, really isn't practical. Sure, it may help with the whole training thing, but then what?

As it stands, be grateful. I knew a lot of females in the Army that had to wake up at 5 in the morning to be able to get their hair right for physical training.

You may not like short hair, but at least it's simple.
Why is it practical when men are made to shave their heads? What's stopping the women from looking like a "crew of shitty 1980's mercenaries?"
Because whether anyone likes it or not, the business standard, social standard, and perceived 'attractiveness' for males and females are different.

The vast majority of men wear their hair short when in a professional setting, and the vast majority of females wear it long.

And whats stopping females from looking like shitty mercenaries is AR 670-1. Which I actually haven't read in forever.

Here's an analysis of military hair standards.

http://www.armystudyguide.com/content/Prep_For_Basic_Training/Prep_for_basic_uniforms/hair-standards.shtml

The word of the day is professional.

Zachary Amaranth said:
TwoSidesOneCoin said:
Again call me an asshole if you will, but if I deploy and get shot and am surrounded with only women, I doubt they'll be able to drag my 235 lb ass into cover, oh wait, 260 lb ass loaded down with gear.
Talk from actual military folk who have been in that situation would indicate you're wrong. Not an asshole, but definitely not correct.
Actually, no. This is a very real concern. Males who meet current physical requirements can weigh up to 300 pounds depending on gear - That's tough as shit to drag.

Which isn't to say I've not known military women who couldn't do that. But the vast majority can't.

Then again, Ive known men who meet Army standards that couldn't haul that. The current PT test the Army uses (Unless they changed it in the last year) is woefully out of date. I've known several soldiers who scored 300 on their physical fitness test (Max score) who were from a practical stand point significantly weaker then I was (About 240 score), simply because they were super light weights. Sit ups and push up scores mean exactly jack shit when you weigh 160 pounds soaking wet.

TheEvilGenius

Apr 18, 2010
Scarecrow said:
This is very off topic, but this has made me want to ask something. Why do you want to join a group that makes you a fish? Why sign away your individuality to such a large degree?
1: Believe it or not, you don't really "sign away your individuality" when you join the military. Sure, there are a lot of rules, but you can still be yourself. I'm still myself and I've been in the Navy for almost 5 years now.

2: There are numerous reasons. Speaking from an American's perspective (not sure where you're from), there are the benefits, the job security, and the steady paycheck. There's the respect you receive as a service member. As far as federal employees go, Americans respect and approve of the military the most. Some people join to fight for a cause. Others join because they feel the military can give them direction in their lives. For some it runs in the family. For others it was their only option. Our military is full of all kinds of people who join for all kinds of reasons.

On Topic: Sexist in the literal sense, yes. However, I have seen female Marines get a high and tight like their male counterparts. I have never met anyone who really thought this was a big deal considering the myriad of other problems we have when it comes to sexism in the military. For example: http://morallowground.com/2013/05/09/disgusting-fn-wook-facebook-page-degrades-female-marines/