Poll: Is it sexist to think it's worse (as a man) to hit a woman than another man?

crazyfoxdemon

Oct 2, 2009
It is sexist... But doesn't make it right.. I won't hit a woman so that makes me sexist <_< chivalry is dead because femnazis killed it.

Dec 14, 2009
Pain Is Inevitable said:
Women are inferior, and thus in need of special protection just like children and the mentally disabled.

How could this in any shape or form be interpreted as sexism?
I hope for your sake that was sarcasm...

LightspeedJack

May 2, 2010
It is sexual discrimination as you are choosing to act differently because of her sex. Whether or not that is a good thing is debatable.

Blackjack 222

Dec 2, 2009
A hypothetical that probably happened somewhere in the world.
A man sits at a bar and a woman walks up to sit by him. She finds something to tease him about and refuses to stop. The man refuses to retaliate because of anger issues & the manner in which he was raised. In any event he would feel bad for doing so. If this man were to leave and the woman followed teasing him and him having no idea what to do. Being unable to find words to tell her or ask her to leave him be he would likely hit her. The man would not be in the clear for the violence but i would understand why he did it.

All about context.

Nabirius

Dec 29, 2009
Actually that's a good question. Honestly I believe no for a few reasons, the first being that the idea that men shouldn't hit women is a deeply ingrained societal stigma, and while I realize that psychologically speaking so are sexism and racism the idea that men shouldn't hit women seems separate from the idea that women are intellectually or morally inferior to men.

The second reason is that from a purely practical stand point men are generally stronger than women, and that makes it difficult for women to defend themselves. This is exacerbated by the fact that women in our culture are generally not taught how to fight or defend themselves, in fact there is still the stigma that women should not be fight at all.

In fact this question is a lot more complicated than I originally thought.

Charley

Apr 12, 2008
It's interesting that it hovers around the 50-50 mark (right now I think 'yes' is in the lead) but the fact that the arguments are around chivalry vs. being considering equal/equal rights to be hit is curious, in my opinion.

Whilst, like I said, I'm not about to change my own mind, it's interesting to see this being discussed in more depth than "it's sexist" or "it isn't", although I probably asked too simple a question in the poll, since we've gone through the nuances of self-defense etc.

I've been trying to think exactly where the idea was embedded in me, and I think it's somewhere between my grandfather and primary school (and possibly my dad, but I can't think where it'd come up). So does this mean that all chivalry (gentlemanly conduct, however you want to brand it) is sexist and a bad thing, or is that a completely separate issue?

GoWithDAFro

Feb 18, 2010
If you would hit a random guy that has really rubbed you the wrong way, but not a random woman under the exact same circumstances, that is sexism because you're treating them differently based solely on gender. Personally, when the situation calls for it, I've never hesitated to hit a girl. I don't get into real fights anyway.

joshthor

Aug 18, 2009
depends on the reason. guys hit eachother alot for almost no reason. however, if a chick pulls a knife on me ill hit her.

Dec 14, 2009
Generic Gamer said:
Daystar Clarion said:
Pain Is Inevitable said:
Women are inferior, and thus in need of special protection just like children and the mentally disabled.

How could this in any shape or form be interpreted as sexism?
I hope for your sake that was sarcasm...
It's so heavily sarcastic that I can practically taste it.
Just making sure, it's very hard to tell sometimes.

Firetaffer

May 9, 2010
Yes, sexism is sexism, it causes us to think differently of another gender, therefore it's sexism. Whether this is 'good' or 'bad' is irrelevant to this argument.

Droppa Deuce

Dec 23, 2010
As men we naturally produce more testosterone, which as a result makes us naturally stonger than our female counterparts.

If an adult woman were to punch an adult male in the head full strength it would hurt, alot.

If an adult male punched a woman in the head full strength, it would likely be fatal.

Not sexist at all, just common sense/biology.

We'er stronger, so with great strength come great responsibility etc.

Charley

Apr 12, 2008
Added to a point I threw in earlier - mainly as a point for thought, because I don't expect many/any answers to this one;

If you've ever hit the guy who your girlfriend cheated on you with, did you hit her too? Why/why not? If the situation warranted punching him, and she was equally guilty...

Not a situation that's ever come up for me personally, but another curious one.

Drummie666

Jan 1, 2011
I would have much more trouble hitting a woman than another guy. I do think of myself as at least somewhat chivalrous as I would have trouble hurting anyone. Though I would hurt anyone under the right circumstances. I suppose that this is a good line related to my thoughts: "There are evil people in the world and they need to be dealt with handily." - Unknown

thedeathscythe

Aug 6, 2010
It's chivalry, not sexism. It's like holding a door open for someone. Almost 100% of the time, if I see a woman 5' behind me, I'll hold the door open for her, unless maybe I didn't see her, but if it's a guy, it's probably like 50% of the time. Is that sexism? No, I don't think so, but you're supposed to be respectful to women, but with a guy, it's not a big deal. If a guy held a door for me I'd say thanks but if he didn't I would be like "prick..." under my breath or anything, and I'm pretty sure most men wouldn't feel that way.

Dogstile

Jan 17, 2009
I will treat a woman the same way i will treat a man.

If that person is weaker than me by a laughable amount and tries attacking me, they'll get laughed at and possibly shoved.

Coming at me with a knife? Instant punch to the face or arm grab.

Jaranja

Jul 16, 2009
Randy11517 said:
Daystar Clarion said:
Imat said:
omicron1 said:
I think this falls not under sexism, but chivalry. Racism/sexism/otherism tends to be applied to negative attitudes towards those deemed inferior, while positive attitudes/actions don't fall under the same label. If you're not hitting a girl because "it wouldn't be worth it" or similar, that might be sexism, but if you're not hitting a girl because you're trying to be nice - even if you're just trying to be nice to her because of her gender - it's not really sexist at all.
Many say that chivalry is, itself, sexist, a statement which I, myself, reject outright.

Chivalry in the Middle Ages may have been sexist as many claim, I really can't put myself in the mindset of an 1100's knight with nothing better to do than chase after women using the power of charm and subservience (to an extent), but I can say that I try to be what I believe to be "chivalrous" towards women, and not all of them appreciate it. Chivalry isn't about "protecting the weaker sex" or "helping women do things they couldn't possibly do on their own, because they're women," the objective is to help for the sake of being a gentleman, to do something which may not be in any way directly beneficial to yourself because you want to be a nice guy or a good person. Chivalry is not sexist, nor is it dead. There are simply noticeably fewer practitioners of this worthy art.
I agree. Chivalry isn't just directed towards women either, at least I don't think it is? I hold doors open for men and women, both young and old and it's amazing how many people don't thank me for it (not that I do it for the recognition).
I remember doing that at the mall once. The party of old people all thanked me and said stuff like "So nice to see young men like this isn't it howard?" and a women slapped me saying it was insulting to do such a thing.

You do NOT want to know what happened last time i held an umbrella over the head of a woman in an expensive suit when it was pooring down rain...
Someone slapped you for holding a door open for them?...

Holy fuck shit, I think we just found the biggest **** in the world.

Charley

Apr 12, 2008
Firetaffer said:
Yes, sexism is sexism, it causes us to think differently of another gender, therefore it's sexism. Whether this is 'good' or 'bad' is irrelevant to this argument.
Just for clarification, we're talking about sexism in the common (i.e. negative "bad thing") sense. That may or may not make a difference to the conversation, but that's where we're at.

Blackjack 222

Dec 2, 2009
Charley said:
Added to a point I threw in earlier - mainly as a point for thought, because I don't expect many/any answers to this one;

If you've ever hit the guy who your girlfriend cheated on you with, did you hit her too? Why/why not? If the situation warranted punching him, and she was equally guilty...

Not a situation that's ever come up for me personally, but another curious one.
Because it is usually ingrained into our psyche NOT to hit women regardless of what they did. My little sister was an evil harpy ***** that tried to hit me with a bat once and when i grabbed her arm to stop her my dad beat my ass with his belt for a solid 4 minutes while yelling " YOU DO NOT HIT GIRLS!" But my family is insane, my sisters and mother are she-harpy bitches from hell, and if i ever won an argument in that house it was because someone was behind them with a gun telling them to throw the fight. I have no issue with not hitting women until they take advantage of it. If they think its a win all defense in the real world they have another thing coming to them. Proof? My sister still behaves like this and her last boyfriend ended up with a knife to his throat when my dad caught him grabbing her arm ash she tried to punch him. She is a heartless conniving *****(not all women are thank you lord) but it shows some take it too far.