Poll: Is it sexist to think it's worse (as a man) to hit a woman than another man?

Syntax Man

Apr 8, 2008
Personally I'm not a fan of any real world violence against anyone, but to me the gender doesn't matter so much, if a big macho twat were to punch a non-muscular defenseless individual than its despicable regardless of the gender of either party involved. I dunno, maybe I'm just different from everyone and their dog, but I don't see that much relevance in an individuals sex when it comes to behavior. Chivalry is dead, and for good reason, women want equality (which is hardly unreasonable) then the special treatment that is chivalry goes away right along with traditional gender roles and male dominance.

tl;dr version: I guess it is somewhat sexist to think that hitting a girl is any worse than hitting a boy.

Geo88

Nerdy Wordsmith
Jul 20, 2010
Charley said:
The self-defense point has cropped up a few times, and I don't dispute the logic of hitting a woman from whom you were under threat.

Maybe an edit to the question - is it worse to hit a woman in anger than to hit a man in anger for the same reason. This one is a hypothetical question - I'm thinking of things like romantic drama movies; the cheated-on man will often punch the adulterous man but won't then spin round and knock his girlfriend/wife for six.

I wasn't quite sure what to expect when I asked the question in the first place, it's actually quite interesting. It's also interesting that there are so many votes on "yes it is sexist" and comparatively few forum posts explaining the reasoning behind that position.

Oh, man, that's a tough question for me. (I was raised to be super nice to women in general.)

I guess it boils down to this:

You should never hit anyone in anger. Following that logic, it is discriminatory to say hitting a woman is worse than hitting a man.

However, if an average man attacks an average woman (not in self-dense), he is hitting someone who is physically weaker than he is, which I'm very uncool with me regardless of gender. To me, it's the same thing as a 5th grader picking fights with the smaller kids at school.

I guess the answer is not to throw punches at people unless you're protecting yourself. Dare I say it?

The only way to win is not to... attack other people.

Unless Michael Buffer says it's all right.

BarbaricGoose

May 25, 2010
It's no more wrong to hit a woman than it is to hit a man.

Hell, according to Mythbusters, women have a higher pain tolerance.

Pain Is Inevitable

Aug 12, 2008
Daystar Clarion said:
Generic Gamer said:
Daystar Clarion said:
Pain Is Inevitable said:
Women are inferior, and thus in need of special protection just like children and the mentally disabled.

How could this in any shape or form be interpreted as sexism?
I hope for your sake that was sarcasm...
It's so heavily sarcastic that I can practically taste it.
Just making sure, it's very hard to tell sometimes.
I honestly don't see what the big deal is here. Just because I don't sugarcoat my opinions with fancy words like chivalry doesn't make my basic sentiment any different from that expressed by many other posters in this thread. All women are naturally weaker than all men simply because of their gender, and they deserve, no, require special protection from society at large lest women be maimed or even punched to death on a daily basis, as Droppa Deuce has correctly and factually pointed out already in this thread.

Blackjack 222

Dec 2, 2009
Jaranja said:
Someone slapped you for holding a door open for them?...

Holy fuck shit, I think we just found the biggest **** in the world.
The business woman in the suit slammed her briefcase(presumably full of bricks) into my nuts, shoved my crumpled body into a mug puddle, took my umbrella, and told me i was a sexist ass. I was 17 at the time and it was then i realized each woman i met would be a *****. In reality i was being polite & thought "Jesus that suit must be expensive. I should do the proper thing and cover her". Next thing i knew my best friend was pulling me into a cab to take me to the hospital while the ***** looked on.

eels05

Jun 11, 2009
If a woman was coming at me with a broken glass,knife etc I think I'd hit her for sure.

I would never hit a woman I was just verbally argueing with or under any other circumstance.

Though I usually dont put myself in situations where this reaction is applicable.I make a point of not argueing with stupid,loud and obnoxious or drunk people.

_Cake_

Apr 5, 2009
Of course it's not sexist, it's basic biology. Males are effected by testosterone. It acts as a natural steroid, facilitating the growth of muscles. It also increases aggression.

It's not sexist to realize and admit the two genders are different, it's nature.

Also I see it as chivalrous. I know a lot of people don't care about that anymore but to me it's one most important qualities a person can have.

EightGaugeHippo

Apr 6, 2010
Its not sexist.
Let me put it this way.

Nature pointed to men to protect women, inorder to protect the speices.
Hitting women is a voilation of this order, thus we feel bad.

Since guys can produce a shit ton of sperm and chicks can only produce so many eggs. We, the human race decided that men where more expendible, and thus became warriors. Warriors to protect our country, our honor and most impotanly, the reason we survive as a speices, women.

That need to protect isnt as strong anymore due to social evolution through the ages, but it still echos in our blood.

Dec 14, 2009
Pain Is Inevitable said:
Daystar Clarion said:
Generic Gamer said:
Daystar Clarion said:
Pain Is Inevitable said:
Women are inferior, and thus in need of special protection just like children and the mentally disabled.

How could this in any shape or form be interpreted as sexism?
I hope for your sake that was sarcasm...
It's so heavily sarcastic that I can practically taste it.
Just making sure, it's very hard to tell sometimes.
I honestly don't see what the big deal is here. Just because I don't sugarcoat my opinions with fancy words like chivalry doesn't make my basic sentiment any different from that expressed by many other posters in this thread. All women are naturally weaker than all men simply because of their gender, and they deserve, no, require special protection from society at large lest women be maimed or even punched to death on a daily basis, as Droppa Deuce has correctly and factually pointed out already in this thread.
I thinks it's because you used the term 'inferior' which suggest negative connotations. Maybe pick your words better in future.

Charley

Apr 12, 2008
silversnake4133 said:
I think it has more to do with morals and what you were raised to believe.
I agree, but they're open to the scrutiny of whether or not they're discriminatory these days. The more I think about it, I've not been in a situation with a woman where I've thought "I'd hit you now if I didn't think it was wrong". It's like a built-in predisposition about an issue that's never come up.

moretimethansense

Apr 10, 2008
Yep, it's sexist, treating a man hitting a woman as being worse is implicitly stating that women can't defend themselves and need protecting by a big strong man.

I know that I would strike a woman for the exact same reasons that I would strike a man, reasons such as:
Self defense
Catharsis
Comic effect
To prove a point
Because I requre a sandwich
Because they forgot the onions
Because I feel like it
To give me something else to add to the list
For sexual gratification
To hear what it sounds like
Because they were there
Because they weren't there
Because they looked at me funny
For the sweet sensation on stinging flesh
To see how long I can this up
Because they touched me
Because they spilled my drink
Because they didn't touch me
Because I don't need a reason
Because the voices told me to
Because they asked me why I was hitting them
Because they assumed I was going to hit them
Because somthing I read on the net made me mad
Press seven to hear a duck quack
Because they said I like to hit things I don't understand
Because I don't understand them
sdfhsfgbbfgbg
Because they don't think this is funny
Because they thuink this is getting too long
Because they said freindship sucks
Because they said my origional charachter is a sue

But mostly because.

Mortal-Killer

Jan 11, 2011
my opinion
there should be no reason for sexist
i only hit a girl once and i got ganged by 3 guys...
even if she deserved it no one cares its **polite** not to hit girls
personaly i dont care
if she's a ***** at you and whines tell her to STFU
but if she annoyes you none stop or pokes you with her pen for a half hour
just slap one good one on her....
its my understanding that people dont understand the message without violence
though violence should not be the answer sometimes its the best
i mean you can't just hit any girl you want

hitting a girl without reason is sexist
hitting a girl because she's a *****, it's just common sense

Jaranja

Jul 16, 2009
Randy11517 said:
Jaranja said:
Someone slapped you for holding a door open for them?...

Holy fuck shit, I think we just found the biggest **** in the world.
The business woman in the suit slammed her briefcase(presumably full of bricks) into my nuts, shoved my crumpled body into a mug puddle, took my umbrella, and told me i was a sexist ass. I was 17 at the time and it was then i realized each woman i met would be a *****. In reality i was being polite & thought "Jesus that suit must be expensive. I should do the proper thing and cover her". Next thing i knew my best friend was pulling me into a cab to take me to the hospital while the ***** looked on.
I wish people like that would just die.

Lt. Dragunov

Sep 25, 2008
If a female comes at me about to hit me, I'm gonna defend myself. I see no harm, or would'nt feel like a lesser person if she came at me first.

Drejer43

Nov 18, 2009
If a girl is a douche to me, yeah I hit them as if it was a boy, actually, the only thing keeping me from doing that is fearing what my friends would say to it, but I wouldn't feel more bad about.

Also they want to be equals so I say lets treat em as equals, as long as the good comes with the bad.

Charley

Apr 12, 2008
moretimethansense said:
Yep, it's sexist, treating a man hitting a woman as being worse is implicitly stating that women can't defend themselves and need protecting by a big strong man.
Ignoring the rest of your post, how is that implicitly stated? That's what your background has led you to take from it - almost everyone here that's said it's not sexist has also said that it's proper conduct/chivalrous/gentlemanly rather than because men are superior or anything of the sort. Context is probably important here - I went to an all-male school up to 16.

From my perspective, I'm not an especially strong guy - I did my time lugging barrels around in nightclub cellars, but I'm average on a good day and I wouldn't really consider myself physically superior so I can assure you that doesn't come into my rationale.

aPod

Jan 14, 2010
Charley said:
Added to a point I threw in earlier - mainly as a point for thought, because I don't expect many/any answers to this one;

If you've ever hit the guy who your girlfriend cheated on you with, did you hit her too? Why/why not? If the situation warranted punching him, and she was equally guilty...

Not a situation that's ever come up for me personally, but another curious one.
You know I had an interesting conversation with a friend of mine, older gentleman. He started to talk about his ex-wife and how she had an affair. Through out the whole conversation one line really kept with me.

"It's never the guys fault."

I was like what? Of course it's his fault he knew he was sleeping with a married woman. He was adamant though. "No no no, it is not his fault. He is not the one who threw our marriage away, who betrayed their family. It wasn't just me she cheated on you see, but our children too. The guy was just caught up in a moment he just wanted her, if he had a choice the rest of us were never there."

So anyways i felt like sharing after reading that. As for myself I wouldn't do anything if i found my girlfriend cheating on me. She would no longer be worth my time nor effort.

Crazy_Dude

Nov 3, 2010
You do not hit a women because she is being a ***** and you are annoyed about it. (Pretty much the same with guys you dont go punch each other in the head for nothing)

But if she were armed with a weapon and really wanted to hurt you in some odd situation. I think its right that you should punch her. What else should you do? Stand there doing nothing and get stabbed?