Poll: Is it sexist to think it's worse (as a man) to hit a woman than another man?

Blackjack 222

Dec 2, 2009
Booze Zombie said:
If violence is necessary in a situation, it needs to be used regardless of the other person's gender.
It should always be the reluctant option, regardless of gender, though.

Randy11517 said:
The business woman in the suit slammed her briefcase(presumably full of bricks) into my nuts, shoved my crumpled body into a mug puddle, took my umbrella, and told me i was a sexist ass. I was 17 at the time and it was then i realized each woman i met would be a *****. In reality i was being polite & thought "Jesus that suit must be expensive. I should do the proper thing and cover her". Next thing i knew my best friend was pulling me into a cab to take me to the hospital while the ***** looked on.
Wow, did you take her to court? I'd love to have seen that case.
"Yes, your honour. She assaulted this man because he tried to cover her expensive suit from the rain without realising that, she, in fact, studied feminism at uni."
17. Me and a buddy were in LA with his family(i took any chance to get out of my home i could). Complete stranger and i was gone like 30 seconds after the fact because Joe was taking me to the hospital. Never did anything about it(a male nurse got his nose busted for laughing)but given the fact we had no idea who she was we just let it go. By all means if i could find her i would have but i saw no way to do it.
Crazy_Dude said:
No offense but your family must truly be batshit insane.
None taken they truly are.

Estocavio

Aug 5, 2009
If women want equality, then i can hurt them just as readily as id hurt a grown man if i needed to.

ApeShapeDeity

Dec 16, 2010
I'm old school. So, no. It's never ok to hit a woman. Some will argue that this is a sexist point of veiw, but on the bright side... I don't see any woman pointing the finger at me and saying anything like...

'I'm your equal! If you respect me, you'll punch my face in! C'mon! You know I deserve it! Do it, you chauvinist pig!'

moretimethansense

Apr 10, 2008
CatmanStu said:
If a woman hits a guy, either he has deserved it (not taking a hint or being overly vulgar) or it is in the heat of an argument (which will usually be quickly regretted).
This is the exact fucking reason o many cases of female on male abuse goes unreported/prosocuted I sincerly hope that you die in a fire you sexist backwards ass pig.

feycreature

May 6, 2009
Size isn't everything. I know a guy shorter and slighter than me who knows like four martial arts. Pretty sure I'd lose in a fight. Plus I've met plenty of guys with longer bones but less muscle than me. At any rate, if I honestly fear for my safety I have no qualms at all about a kick to the nuts. Not only would punching most men in the face be a hilariously futile effort since I doubt I could reach, but if you want 'em down, that's more reliable and less likely to cause brain damage.

The thing with wives battering their husbands is that they often don't use their fists. Your average household is full of objects that can be used to hurt people from a safe distance, such as the traditional thrown frying pan. In the movies they always miss, in real life I doubt all husbands/boyfriends are so lucky.

Anyway, size, toughness and strength really aren't as black and white as male=strong, female=weak. It's easier for men to build muscle mass but they still have to actually put in the effort, and bone density or physical endurance =/= size. Hitting someone apparently smaller and weaker than you is a lose-lose. If they turn out to be a secret badass you're humiliated and if you win you're a jerk. Making it "never hit girls" is sexist if in a comparatively harmless way, because gender is there but it's not even a variable, just a side-note. "Never hit someone who seems unequal to you in combat" covers all the necessary bases for honorable stupid violence much more effectively and doesn't exclude people of your own sex who are clearly going to go down such as those who are much weaker than you, incredibly drunk, unarmed if you're armed or not fighting back. It's just as dishonorable to hit them.

gl1koz3

May 24, 2010
Women tend to go through a bit more trouble to resume the species, so I'd show some respect instead of thinking it's this way or not.

Chairman Miaow

CBA to change avatar
Nov 18, 2009
Charley said:
Not because women are weaker, or need protecting

we're supposed to have evolved past men throwing their physical weight around.
Surely by the second sentence you are implying that you do in fact think women are weaker?
Generally I don't hit women, even if they hit me, but only because it's so ingrained into me. I wish I could hit women, just like I can hit men. I believe in equal retaliation.

Czargent Sane

May 31, 2010
ApeShapeDeity said:
I'm old school. So, no. It's never ok to hit a woman. Some will argue that this is a sexist point of veiw, but on the bright side... I don't see any woman pointing the finger at me and saying anything like...

'I'm your equal! If you respect me, you'll punch my face in! C'mon! You know I deserve it! Do it, you chauvinist pig!'
and you know, I really wish I lived in a world where I heard that more often. I would in all likely hood ask that woman out immediately.

JoeThree

May 8, 2010
While not entirely the same (obviously), it's the same reason there's a stigma against picking on someone who's handicapt - they're naturally weaker. If anything, it's unsporting. However, let me add, that give that fact, it's equally wrong for a woman to hit a man, knowing he won't hit her back, and if a female instigates violence, there is no reason for a male not to recipricate.

GeorgW

ALL GLORY TO ME!
Aug 27, 2010
I'm a pacifist, but I will defend myself in a fight. Still, I've never hit a woman even though they've started fights with me. It just feels wrong, more wrong than hitting a man. So basically, I never hit women, and I'd rather not hit men. Maybe it's sexist if you only look at the action itself, but I think we need to look into the reason behind it. It's deeply rooted in our culture and instincts. I consider myself a gentleman, I always hold the door open, pull out the chair and so on. Again, sexist, but for a good reason. The world is full of double standards, this is one of the nicer ones, so just be happy it's there!

Bloodstain

Jun 20, 2009
You see a difference because of the gender, so yes. Yes, it is sexist.
Really, the whole "women are weak and can't defend themselves" way of thinking is outdated. That said, I think hitting anybdy isn't the best idea, unless you have good reasons for it.

If I had a girlfriend, and if said girlfriend cheated on me, I would be so hurt that I'd slap her (probably followed by crying and self-loathing).

FarleShadow

Oct 31, 2008
Bloodstain said:
Really, the whole "women are weak and can't defend themselves" way of thinking is outdated. That said, I think hitting anybdy isn't the best idea, unless you have good reasons for it.

If I had a girlfriend, and if said girlfriend cheated on me, I would be so hurt that I'd slap her (probably followed by crying and self-loathing).
Pansy.
If you (anyone) catch your significant other at 'cheating' with another person, I would advise the following:

Get a video camera.
Film act in progress.
Wait until the metaphorical 'final act'.
Say: "And that's damn fine youtube material!'
Record reaction.
Post it.

You've already lost your current relationship, but the internet will reward your pain with infinite mockery of your ex-beloved!

Wolfenbarg

Terrible Person
Oct 18, 2010
Yes, it's sexist. It depends completely on the person you strike though. Typically the stigma is that the woman tends to be defenseless against the man striking her. Now that's a little backwards in some cases, but if the woman (or man) that you strike hasn't the means to defend themselves, then you are completely in the wrong for resorting to such.

Lem0nade Inlay

Apr 3, 2010
I would agree with you.

But I've seen Kill Bill, so.....

It isn't "racist", it's probably just not true, in a sense.

Bloodstain

Jun 20, 2009
FarleShadow said:
Bloodstain said:

Pansy.
If you (anyone) catch your significant other at 'cheating' with another person, I would advise the following:

Get a video camera.
Film act in progress.
Wait until the metaphorical 'final act'.
Say: "And that's damn fine youtube material!'
Record reaction.
Post it.

You've already lost your current relationship, but the internet will reward your pain with infinite mockery of your ex-beloved!
Oh, the manly man kind of way. There not enough bear-wrestling and wall-punching involved.
It would probably be a safer bet to randomly spam the video and her contact info on 4chan. Heh.

arkady

Nov 9, 2007
It's a relative strength thing.

In reality, men typically have a higher muscle-fat ratio than women (i.e. are pound-for-pound stronger) as well as weighting ~15kg more than women.

This is why it is almost always unacceptable for a man to hit woman: he can hit much harder than she can hit back.

If the woman is bigger or tougher than me, and the situation required it I'd have no qualms, though.

feycreature

May 6, 2009
GeorgW said:
I'm a pacifist, but I will defend myself in a fight. Still, I've never hit a woman even though they've started fights with me. It just feels wrong, more wrong than hitting a man. So basically, I never hit women, and I'd rather not hit men. Maybe it's sexist if you only look at the action itself, but I think we need to look into the reason behind it. It's deeply rooted in our culture and instincts. I consider myself a gentleman, I always hold the door open, pull out the chair and so on. Again, sexist, but for a good reason. The world is full of double standards, this is one of the nicer ones, so just be happy it's there!
Something being deeply rooted in your culture is not in and of itself a good reason to keep it. Slavery was a deeply rooted tradition, goes back about as far as recorded history.