Poll: Is LoL's community really that bad?

KaosuHamoni

Apr 7, 2010
After watching a load of TotalBiscuit videos, and hearing the name mentioned several times in several articles, I delved into League of Legends. Despite the stigma that seems to surround the community, I though "What the hell. It'll get me ready for DOTA 2, and I haven't played a MOBA game in ages.". Now, I went in cautiously, and, to my surprise, after announcing that I've never played the game before, my team were really friendly, consistently gave me advice, and, I am yet to see evidence of the horde of trolls and assholes that seemingly populate this rather fun game.

Admittedly, I seem to have become smitten with it, because it's just so damn fun, however, as I level higher, and unlock Ranked play (I'm only lvl 8), will I suddenly see what the people who play this game are really like, or is it just all sensationalism?

Edit: Thread merge please? =]

Tanakh

Jul 8, 2011
I dislike the game and mechanics, not the community itself, that the account level affects anything but aestetics is unacceptable in a non MMO PvP.

Radeonx

Apr 26, 2009
Well, when I first started I was in quite a few matches where I'd get ribbed for just learning how to play a character. As I got better and better, it got downplayed, but there are still some team issues like not calling MIA's and such.

Vanguard_Ex

Mar 19, 2008
Because of the heavily competitive atmosphere, ignorance is punished and punished hard. However you took the best possible approach, being honest that you were a new player and didn't know the intricacies yet. Of course, due to the skill matching system, you were probably with other new players too.

Rage Builder

Sep 1, 2011
Aethren said:
All the douches play HoN, the polite ones play LoL
If the polite ones play LoL I do NOT want to see how the bad ones are....

LoL players can be bad, atleast according to my experience but I've rarely had intenonal feeding but loads of idiots who love nothing more than to call everyone and everything a retard etc...

Maybe it's diffrent since I play on EU West?

MysticToast

Jul 28, 2010
Rage Builder said:
Aethren said:
I second this. I love the crap out of LoL but I just can't stand the elitism in the community. Sometimes I think experienced players make smurf accounts just to yell at the newbies....

RN7

Oct 27, 2009
MysticToast said:
Rage Builder said:
Aethren said:
I second this. I love the crap out of LoL but I just can't stand the elitism in the community. Sometimes I think experienced players make smurf accounts just to yell at the newbies....
It's still worse in Heroes of Newerth, mainly due to the fact that a new player can get into a game where they are majorly outclassed almost immediately. It's much more subtle in League of Legends because you're way more likely to get into games with people of your own skill levels.

More players in Heroes of Newerth actively "hunt" new players through public games created by smurf accounts that are "for noobs". The main problem with this is the fact that new players will want to play several Public games before entering matchmaking, and this ruins their experience.

In short, the communities of both game have their bad seeds, but the majority of the players are nice enough. You shouldn't have your experience impeded by douchebags. Even if you do run into one, just ignore them (/ignore player name) and move on.

AngelicSven

Aug 24, 2010
It CAN get really really bad. For example, I played since it came out and I quit around the time Modaki came out, then started playing again last week. Everyone was such an asshole to me because I didn't know all the new people's mechanics and they always accuse the first person to die of feeding and then just tell you you're bad. They're so unhelpful it's amazing and like most games, nothing can ever ever be their fault. It almost made me want to quit again.

If you can sang 4 other friends in, it's possibly one of the best F2P games ever but man, the community gets really bad sometimes. Especially ranked.

FlashHero

Apr 3, 2010
I tried to play the game. Looked fun but first match I played after bots I didn't do something right and 2 people left saying they aren't gonna play with noobs and then the other team crushed us in no time. I gave up after 3 more matches that went sort of the same way.

WaReloaded

Jan 20, 2011
In my experiences with League of Legends the community was above average. Whilst there was still a few cases of lower level players getting shredded for asking innocent questions, for the most part the community was helpful, for instance, I helped a new player level up a few times, just as I was helped when I started.

In comparison to the community on certain World of Warcraft servers *coughs*Blackrock*coughs*, the LoL community is great, and I hold no particular disdain towards it.

Razivia

Sep 5, 2011
What I mostly see are the trolls. It doesn't happen in all the games I play but there is always that one game that makes me wonder why I play.

kebab4you

Jan 3, 2010
While I don't play the game myself my brother plays it a few hours a day, and he just shouts, all the fucking time like a spoiled kid, so I'm going to say; yes.

Best of the 3

Oct 9, 2010
Yes it is as bad (in my experience). SOmetime it even makes the 360 community look good. On my brother's very first game he got told to go die of AIDS. This was when he was winning.

It's a good game though and I really enjoy playing it, if you can just get past the community which is one of it's biggest flaws though. Playing with friends is the best solution.

Apr 25, 2009
Have you read the comments on their Youtube videos?

Fucking WHINE WHINE WHINE WHINE NERF MORDE.

It has a pretty awful community, but HoN's was waaaaaaay worse...

AngryMongoose

Elite Member
Jan 18, 2010
So long as you stay out of PuG Ranked, you'll be fine. HoNs the one with the bad community. LoL just has the occasional asshole. Well, in game I mean.