Poll: Is Madoff's sentence too rough?

Broken Orange

God Among Men
Apr 14, 2009
If you have been living under a rock http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/06/29/madoff-sentencing-today_n_222110.html

I think that that this a good example so that white collar criminals won't get it off easy any more. What do you think?

Neonbob

The Noble Nuker
Dec 22, 2008
I could tell you what I think should happen, but I'd probably get probated/banned for it.
Suffice to say, I think what he is getting is the minimum of what should be done to him.

Mar 17, 2009
No, I just wish they did the same thing where I'm from.

Also, I'm not going to vote in your poll, since both of your choices are too extreme.

Krakyn

Mar 3, 2009
I think a life sentence is too long for a regular white collar crime, but this was what, like a thousand counts of the same crime? I mean, it adds up right, but I feel bad that the guy's going to die in prison. For robbing one bank unarmed, he wouldn't get life in prison but he'd probably affect just as many people.

HyenaThePirate

Jan 8, 2009
I always hate those sentences...

Anything over 100 years should just automatically be death.
Honestly, I don't get how people can be against the death penalty by claiming "life is precious" while at the same time advocating the absolute WASTE of that so-called "precious" life, which in my opinion is more of a crime. What exactly does anyone learn from a scenario like that?

Why even bother with that sort of sentence? Why not just say "life?"
Maybe our government knows that Vampires exist, or people who live 150 years.

Xorghul

Jul 2, 2008
Is Madoff's sentence too rough?
Yes, 150 years is to long for the crime!
I think it would suffice with 75 years.

Krakyn

Mar 3, 2009
xmetatr0nx said:
Krakyn said:
I think a life sentence is too long for a regular white collar crime, but this was what, like a thousand counts of the same crime? I mean, it adds up right, but I feel bad that the guy's going to die in prison. For robbing one bank unarmed, he wouldn't get life in prison but he'd probably affect just as many people.
What, you feel sorry that he lived his life filthy rich off everyone elses money and now hes going to jail? This is nothing like robbing a bank, at all.
Please explain how they're not the same.

Valkyira

Mar 13, 2009
I don't really know much about this dude, there was another thread about him so i looked him up on wikipedia but from what i know, he deserved it. He basically robbed people of their money which was 100X worse due to the recession.

Krakyn

Mar 3, 2009
xmetatr0nx said:
Krakyn said:
xmetatr0nx said:
Krakyn said:
What, you feel sorry that he lived his life filthy rich off everyone elses money and now hes going to jail? This is nothing like robbing a bank, at all.
When you rob a bank money is insured by the FDIC, which mean no one person is actually victimized. This type of securities fraud took peoples 401ks, life savings, and CDs...basically everything you ever put aside for hard times, retirement, kids college money etc. When these liquid assets are used fruadulently they are gone forever. As was the case here, over 1 billion dollars never going to be seen again by these people that were scammed. These people trusted this man with everything they ever worked hard to achieve money wise, he used it to fund his life. Trust me i work in the financial game, this is nothing like a bank robbery.
Fair enough, I really didn't know. Also, I tend to not trust people on the internet, especially when they say "Trust me..." It kind of made me doubt what you were saying...so maybe next time, leave that part out.

SultanP

Mar 15, 2009
Krakyn said:
xmetatr0nx said:
Krakyn said:
xmetatr0nx said:
When you rob a bank money is insured by the FDIC, which mean no one person is actually victimized. This type of securities fraud took peoples 401ks, life savings, and CDs...basically everything you ever put aside for hard times, retirement, kids college money etc. When these liquid assets are used fruadulently they are gone forever. As was the case here, over 1 billion dollars never going to be seen again by these people that were scammed. These people trusted this man with everything they ever worked hard to achieve money wise, he used it to fund his life. Trust me i work in the financial game, this is nothing like a bank robbery.
This.
Also, if a bank is robbed, the money is gone and people know it. But this guy had people believe that their wealth was increasing, and that they were secured if they should ever come upon hard times, while what he really did was use all their money. He basically ripped away their security net.

Broken Orange

God Among Men
Apr 14, 2009
xmetatr0nx said:
Krakyn said:
xmetatr0nx said:
Krakyn said:
As the famous abraham lincoln once said, "you just got owned!" but yea, with a bank robbery, the bank is the victim. while Madoff robbed from Thousands of people.

Lopunny

Apr 15, 2009
I don't have any issue that he's been sentenced to that amount of time, my issue, albeit probably a whiny one, is that I can't believe he got 150 years and many other criminal who've done much worse get off so lightly...