Poll: Is Madoff's sentence too rough?

zacaron

Apr 7, 2008
I think it would be funny if he lived another 150 years and they had to let him out

A random person

Apr 20, 2009
Eh, maybe. I don't really believe in "deserving" punishment and suffering, and nothing's really gonna come of imprisoning him since everyone knows not to trust him and thus he can't repeat the crime. Yes he ruined lives, but throwing him in jail won't make things better other than satisfying animalistic bloodlust.

Then again, it makes the message "Don't scam people out of their money, or we will find and punish you," so it's a gray area.

Azhrarn-101

Jul 15, 2008
zacaron said:
I think it would be funny if he lived another 150 years and they had to let him out
Newsweek has a nice article on this, basically he hired (or is going to hire) a prison consultant, to try and negotiate a lower security prison. Since the sentence he received means he'd go to a maximum security jail, and they'd prefer to get him down to medium to more or less give him a chance at serving his sentence a bit before dying
But that same man did say that he is going to be assaulted, and whatever prison they choose for him will be his tomb, as it's very unlikely he'll make his first parole hearing (in 20 years).

But he deserves every single second of it.

SilentHunter7

Nov 21, 2007
Martymer said:
Too harsh. I don't get why some countries give such long sentences. I get life, but I don't get something like 150 years. Nor do I get something like 30 years, even if the person receiving it is young. When he gets out, he's fucked. He's never gonna get a job, never be able to start a family... He might as well have gotten life, because that would be more humane (yet it's considered a worse punishment???). IMO, it should be like, anything over 10 or 15 years -> life.
He was convicted of 20 or so ~10 year crimes (Those aren't the actual numbers, but you get the idea). The punishments stack.

LilGherkin

Aug 15, 2008
I want him to survive the (very impossible) 150 years just to see the looks on peoples faces when he gets out.

Pendragon9

Apr 26, 2009
Let him get stabbed miserably in jail. He could've taken money from my family and friends who lived in that area. And since none of us are rich, we need that money.

I say nobody here can validate what he did. NOBODY.

Da Joz

May 19, 2009
All of the people that had money taken from them by him should be allowed one free shot at him. No weapons just one good punch or kick in the area of their choosing. Then he will be sent to jail.

Skeleon

Nov 2, 2007
It's just money...
I think it's too much.
Give him 5-10 years and, if he's lucky, he'll still have a few years with his family.

Kazturkey

Mar 1, 2009
Yes, it's too long. Murder will get you twenty years, which do you think is worse, killing seven and a half people or taking away people's money?

cowbell40

Jun 12, 2009
Krakyn said:
I think a life sentence is too long for a regular white collar crime, but this was what, like a thousand counts of the same crime? I mean, it adds up right, but I feel bad that the guy's going to die in prison. For robbing one bank unarmed, he wouldn't get life in prison but he'd probably affect just as many people.
I'm pretty sure a $65 Billion ponzi scheme effects far more people than a bank robbery...

Saddest of all (to me personally) is that Madoff's scheme robbed Ellie Wiesel (Holocaust survivor, writer, political activist, and Nobel Laureate) of $15 million from his Foundation for Humanity organization. Talk about a guy who doesn't need assholes like Madoff to give him MORE problems than he's already had in life.

Harlemura

Ace Defective
May 1, 2009
No, it should be longer. Just in case he can survive another 150 years. You never know!

PedroSteckecilo

Mexican Fugitive
Feb 7, 2008
I don't feel that a man who "stole" 65 Million should get off "scott free" in any sense of the word but sending a 71 year old man to prison for 150 years strikes me as just odd. Just execute him if you want him dead that badly...

yosophat

Apr 15, 2009
From the number of people whose money was stolen it makes sense but it is unusual.