Poll: Is PC gaming worth the discomfort?

Vault boy Eddie

Feb 18, 2009
Discomfort, ohh, Hemorrhoids, tough break. I personally do everything for my desk chair, I find that laying down makes me feel like a lazy good for nothing.

teh_spartan

ultimate pwnerer
Mar 29, 2009
dude i dont know about your rig but my battle station is fucking comprtable. i have a 280 degree wrap around desk with a lazy boy with a back massager in the middle on a lazy susan so i can spin around. shure its kinda hardcore but i love it. i do spend more time gameing on my xbox but that is beacuse i use my desk for "work"

x434343

Mar 22, 2008
I say, no problems.

I'm actually kind of pissed at Alan Wake developers. I really WANT to play that game. I refuse to, though, because the developers refuse to port it because it "breaks the mood of the game". That just sounds like they don't want to port it.

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
I have never gotten uncomfortable gaming on PC with keyboard and mouse, except some slight stiffness in my writs after an epic 8 hour gaming session. It was the good kind of ache.

If you're finding PC gaming controls uncomfortable you are probably doing something wrong or you are far too used to gamepad controls.

For example do you use a mouse pad with a foam wrist support? That will fuck your wrist up, most of the time you'll do fine with the mouse directly on the tabletop.

ryo02

Oct 8, 2007
I hate gaming on the pc other than really simple games I tried an fps recently and while I can understand the mouse in terms of accuracy its still feels off.
but worst of all using buttons to control some of the movements d-pads are old its that simple and the keyboard isnt even designed to be a good d-pad.

oh well my laptop is a lousey gaming rig anyway.

Layzor

Feb 18, 2009
I can't play at my best on the Ps3 unless I'm sat up straight and I often play my laptop while in bed.

timeadept

Nov 23, 2009
What discomfort? I can't actually answer the poll cause there really isn't any discomfort involved for me. Honestly, i wouldn't even play a console game laying down, it makes it harder to see the TV and i feel restricted, not sure if it's in my head or not. Obviously a computer is more restrictive but i find myself quite comfortable sitting here.

moretimethansense

Apr 10, 2008
Vrach said:
moretimethansense said:
So the act of sleeping causes permenant injury to the spine?
News to me.
Sorry, I really don't mean any offense by this, it's just a phrase, but are you being intentionally thick? Cause I never mentioned sleeping for a moment, much like the poster you previously quoted never mentioned it being worse, creating the same situation twice and leading me to think you're intentionally trying to pull an argument out of nowhere, and what we're talking about is some pretty basic general knowledge to begin with so I'm starting to get a feeling that you're just trolling (and the OP isn't really screaming otherwise).

But to humour you, yes. Lying in bed all day when you're not sleeping is unhealthy to your spine. Sort of like taking pain killers when you're not in pain, taking antibiotics when you're not sick is bad for your health and performing defibrillation on a person who's heart is beating fine is not generally recommended, even if they are used for good purposes at other times.

Sitting all that time isn't great either, but yes, it is better than lying down. It's generally why people sit more than than lie down when they're not sleeping or ill (or well, having sex or doing other activities that necessitate or are better/more easily/commonly performed while lying down).
I merely pointed out that you said that lying down damages your spine, obviously never getting up would do you some harm(though bedsores are likely to come first) you did't say that, you said that lying down would do the job, had you said lying down constantly, I'd have agreed and not brought it up.

However most people don't spend every minute of every day playing games (I do but then I'm sad like that) so it wouldn't really be an issue for most people, besides I don't know about the rest of you but my back always hurts more after six hours of sitting still playing games than after eight hours lying down.

Creator002

Aug 30, 2010
I am, right now, laying down, using my computer. I can use the mouse without a problem. You may have guessed, however, that I have a laptop, so maybe it's different (it's a USB mouse, by the way. Not the mouse pad.).
Games I play on here are usually Xbox 360 controller compatable, so it's not a big deal between whether I play console games or PC game, because they only difference is the distance from the screen.

joshuaayt

Vocal SJW
Nov 15, 2009
Ten hours with a controller, and my hands begin to rebel against my very wishes. This tends to create unfortunate situations, like accidentally forcing Lighting to use a phoenix down at a critical juncture, instead of a potion. It didn't end well.

A mouse, though? And its allied keyboard? Smooth as silk on these hands. I could play with my mouse all day long. I hate lying down and gaming... It throws everything off.

zehydra

Oct 25, 2009
what discomfort?

If anything, fps's are way more comfortable (for me at least) on the PC than on the console. Trying to manage two different joysticks feels really awkward on the thumbs.

Double A

Jul 29, 2009
What? That makes no sense.

Your opinion is not shared by the rest of the world, sorry. Computer gaming is plenty comfortable.

00slash00

Dec 29, 2009
this seems like a strange topic. i like sitting up, i feel like my reaction time is faster. i usually only lay down while playing a game, if im playing my ds or im playing a particularly tame video game. ive never been playing a game for extended hours and thought "oh my god, the inability to lay down is torture!"

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
Interesting, I have a laptop so I can play on the couch or at a desk depending on my mood,

Ive always playes games at the desk from when I was a kid though I think I prefer it to a couch and a TV, for some reason it makes me feel lazy and fat

Vibhor

Aug 4, 2010
Well sucks to be anyone who plays computer on a chair.
I personally prefer to play it on a couch

Ossian

Mar 11, 2010
Didn't vote, tis bullcrap that you can't lay on your bed and play computer games.

Hound174

Dec 28, 2010
I Sit back on my chair, legs up sitting on the side of the desk, keyboard on my lap, using mouse on desk. Yeah must be pretty hard to imagine but it's comfortable. Only for forums and youtube, and typing, games usually sit up I think.

GodofCider

Nov 16, 2010
It's not uncomfortable. There really is no other point here; especially when one can simply rearrange the environment to better suit their comfort level.