Poll: Is stealing the other team's vehicles in competitive multiplayer cheap/unfair?

mezorin

Jan 9, 2007
Its irritating as hell when it happens to you in some Battlefield 3 because once that jet goes bye bye you don't get another one spawned till that one is shot down. Also, losing an uncap spawned vehicle to the enemy is just plain bull crap. I have also seen some dick bags who will purposely fly the helicopter to the other team's spawn then hop out so his little friend can grab it, then switch teams. That or the enemy will fly over to your uncap, sacrifice his jet to bail out and steal your team's jet spawn, then their own jet respawns and they have yours too. That sort of crap should be an instant ban from the server along with other forms of TKing. That being said, this is more of a Battlefield 3 dirty laundry game play issue rather than it being 'cheap' as EA/DICE could simply make it so if you are on foot and come within 100 yards of the enemy's uncap on a conquest or rush you instantly die rather than get a 10 second warning. I also feel that any tanks, air craft, AT turrets, AA assets, jeeps, or LAVs that are *in bounds* are fair game. Leave your T-90 lying around? Self fixing a tank rather than having an engineer friend to do it and get shot in the back? Too bad, its mine now. In fact, controlling (and being aware of) the vehicle spawns on a conquest large map is a major part of the game, and a major part of a good team's strategy to winning on a map. At very least, making sure that you go down with your vehicle rather than try to bail and save your own ass and giving the enemy a chance to capture it is a part of vehicle driving and its much better to suck up a death than to let the enemy get your one LAV-25 and turn it against you on a rush map.

Some games have a whole meta game behind the act of jacking vehicles, for instance the hacking tool in PlanetSide could not only capture an abandoned enemy parked vehicle, but with enough points invested in hacking you could also forcible kick out its occupants if it is sitting still. Sometimes cloakers will make a mess of a base siege by hacking out the respawn vehicle, or just grabbing a parked tank or mech and going postal behind enemy lines with it. Rather than complain about this happening, people should be getting smart and do dark light (the thing that lets you see invisible players) foot patrols and keep an eye on their vehicles, or at very least not leave their stuff unattended.

Squilookle

Nov 6, 2008
I always used to play on a BF1942 server that sort of 'frowned' on it, but even that was a stretch. Generally, if it's out in the field, and someone leaps out of their damaged tank only for an enemy to steal it, everyone will be screaming at the stupid fool who jumped out of it in the first place.

Stealing planes from the enemy base was a bit more morally grey. I didn't like it because it stacked the teams in the air unfairly. In the interests of being sporting, if someone on my team stole an enemy plane, I'd often announce to the enemy that I'd give them one of ours, before landing on their airfield. If they blew up the plane on sight, well... screw em. They're too dumb to make use of the planes anyway.

laggyteabag

Scrolling through forums, instead of playing games
Legacy
Oct 25, 2009
UK
If I see a vehicle sitting there, I will take it regardless if its the enemies or not.

Ryotknife

Oct 15, 2011
depends, if you actually use said vehicle, then it is fair game.

If you steal the vehicle and then stuff it in a corner to permanently cripple the other team, then you deserve to be hanged by your balls for such unsportman like behavior.

Gottesstrafe

Oct 23, 2010
Not really. I mean, every vehicle is fair game. You just happen to spawn closer to them than the other team. If you abandon a vehicle on the field, that's an opportunity to the enemy you're giving away. Conversely, if you trap the vehicle with mines or C4, that's an opportunity for you to exploit. In Battlefield 3, my friends and I even make it a point during Rush to hide near the enemy team's vehicle spawn point once they capture the zone we were defending, just to steal them and sabotage the rest. Is it a dick move? Absolutely. Is it unfair? No, we put ourselves at risk infiltrating the enemy's territory and our success was merely their own fault for not properly securing it. It's also why I have trouble calling afoul when the enemy team traps you in your base in TF2 during Payload. Yeah, it's extremely hard to break when they've done it right. On the other hand, whose fault do you think it is that they even managed to have the opportunity to set up in the first place?

The Wykydtron

"Emotions are very important!"
Sep 23, 2010
Well this happens in quite a few of the Halo: Reach games i've played recently. Whenever one team gets the other team's vehicles especially the high damage ones will end up just locking the other team in their base until they win...

Seriously if you don't instakill them it's game over. It's still a legit tactic and it shouldn't be banned but still...

I'd like to point out that excessive counterjungling and especially buff stealing in League of Legends is fucking heartbreaking and you should never do it ever </3

Once played Jungle Hecarim and didn't get a single Blue Buff until the third one in the game spawned... They had the precise spawn timing down as well. Obviously the one time my team can't be bothered to cover me is the one time they all decide to invade. :/

Then our Cassiopeia (who was getting repeatedly dunked by Ahri) was raging at me for having the gall to be underleveled. I CAN'T BE BEST PONY WITHOUT MY FUCKING JUNGLE FFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

Other than that Jungle Hecarim is insanely fun, try it. He's still free for the weekend so gogogo.

I swear his increasing speed buff E is the funnest thing ever. It's pretty terrifiying when some horseman of the apocalypse comes running full on out of a bush and charges you away from your tower...

rwllay

Oct 9, 2009
generally id say no, but like most other tactics/options in modern multiplayer im sure there are times when it seems unsporting

but i probably dont play enough multiplayer to be able to weigh in much more heavily

Techno Squidgy

Nov 23, 2010
I disagree with and don't steal vehicles from the enemy teams uncap in BF but for the most part I will let it slide if someone steals vehicles from my uncap, as long as they don't attack, I DESPISE spawn killers. If they touch the air vehicles however, they are in for a world of pain because I will hunt them down. repeatedly.

No one. Touches. My. Jet.

However, the jets and chopper at Charlie on Wake Island are fair game. That point CAN be captured (and really should be, take that and the Russians are divided).

On an unrelated note, I hate the mobile AA in BF3. So many good dogfights ruined by those.

La Barata

Apr 13, 2010
Not at all.

If you can actually make your way to the enemy's base and actually be in a position to steal one, you've earned it.

Flames66

Aug 22, 2009
This brings back fond memories of multi-player in The Original Halo. I would sneak in to the other teams base, steal their banshee and my friend would take ours. Together we would tear up the skies, running town the puny bodies of our opponents and laughing at their anguished cries over the chat saying that we were being unfair. "you should have got to it first!" we would call back as their windmilling arms failed to generate the lift required to stop them from falling into the mist.

Fayathon

Professional Lurker
Nov 18, 2009
Cheap? Nope. Unfair? Again, nope.

See, if you can knick their shit then they obviously don't need it, or don't care enough to keep you from stealing it.

Hell, that's how I get all of my vehicles in Tribes is by knicking it as an INF and carting it away. I either get a new toy to go home and fix up, or I get to die in a fireball, but they lose their toy either way, so it's all good to me.

Da Orky Man

Yeah, that's me
Apr 24, 2011
In BC2, it was one of my favourite strategies. i'd hitch a ride in one of the gunships, parachute down, nick a tank and be off home for tea and crumpets before the opposition knew the game had started.

Master Kuja

May 28, 2008
If the other team is so god damn inept that they've given you the opportunity to steal their Viper/Havoc/AA/Tank, you're damn right it's fair game.

Hell, in BC2 I remember stealing a T90 on Port Valdez, getting a friend to jump in the gunner's seat and between us managing to get enough kills to equal their team's entire ticket count on the last set of MCOMs.
Like I said, if they're bad enough to let that opportunity arise, exploit it to all hell.

anthony87

Aug 13, 2009
I think I've stolen more enemy tanks on BF3 than I have taken from my own base. Although I steal them in the middle of combat so I don't know if it counts.

PatrickXD

Aug 13, 2009
I totally get why someone might want to take that out of the game. But that doesn't mean it's inherently unfair, it just means that it's an alternative rule that a group of players want to enforce. More power to them for that. I don't think it's particularly cheap or unfair. I do it, other people do it, and none of us mind it happening. Of course it's always annoying to die, but it is just one more way to outplay the opposition.
Like I said, though, if you don't like it, then that's totally fie. But don't complain about it happening in a server full of people who don't care about it, then you're just annoying them. go play in a server that has rules against it, because they clearly exist.

The White Hunter

Basment Abomination
Oct 19, 2011
clippen05 said:
So, to give background, I like Battlefield 3 along with all the other Battlefield Series. And nothing gives me greater joy in those games to steal the enemy's vehicles. If you could ask my friends that I play with on the subject they'd bring up how I go into a high pitched shout whenever I steal a helicopter from the enemy. I've always thought that this was completely fair game as the enemy either abandoned their vehicle and gave the other team the privilege of risking their lives to repair it if neccesary and commandeer it. Because someone gave that opportunity away is it not fair to exploit this?

The reason I bring up this question is because I saw a server recently that had a rule against this on Battlefield 3. While I can understand some people believe it makes the game unbalanced as it would make it harder for the enemy team to combat the vehicle. (If someone stole a jet that would make the sky battles in favor of one team 3 to 1), however, there are other ways to take down vehicles. I also apply this to flying over the enemy team's base and stealing air vehicles because again, they are letting you take that opportunity, there is risk involved and if the other team doesn't stop you than I believe you earned it. This applies to other games like Halo aswell (not so much for warthogs and such but stealing a scorpion or banshee can be a big gamechanger.)

TL;DR: Basically, I believe that if the other team allows you to steal their vehicle than you deserve it because you gained it through exploiting their mistakes or lack of defences. What do you think?
In Battlefield, as my primary experience, absolutely not, I don't like when it happens to my team but to be fair if I'm given the opportunity to steal their helicopter, what do I do?

That's right, I cover it in fucking C4, find a nice bush, and wait patiently.

EDIT I stopped playing Battlefield 3 becuase of the abundance of BS server rules, also the distribution of classes is something nobody seemed to understand. 12 snipers can't win a battle damn it. Especially incompetent ones.

Combustion Kevin

Nov 17, 2011
it sucks, but it happens, which is exactly the reason why I always pick a shotgun as an engineer.

"C'mon, take it, I dare ya!"