Poll: Is stealing the other team's vehicles in competitive multiplayer cheap/unfair?

clippen05

Jul 10, 2012
So, to give background, I like Battlefield 3 along with all the other Battlefield Series. And nothing gives me greater joy in those games to steal the enemy's vehicles. If you could ask my friends that I play with on the subject they'd bring up how I go into a high pitched shout whenever I steal a helicopter from the enemy. I've always thought that this was completely fair game as the enemy either abandoned their vehicle and gave the other team the privilege of risking their lives to repair it if neccesary and commandeer it. Because someone gave that opportunity away is it not fair to exploit this?

The reason I bring up this question is because I saw a server recently that had a rule against this on Battlefield 3. While I can understand some people believe it makes the game unbalanced as it would make it harder for the enemy team to combat the vehicle. (If someone stole a jet that would make the sky battles in favor of one team 3 to 1), however, there are other ways to take down vehicles. I also apply this to flying over the enemy team's base and stealing air vehicles because again, they are letting you take that opportunity, there is risk involved and if the other team doesn't stop you than I believe you earned it. This applies to other games like Halo aswell (not so much for warthogs and such but stealing a scorpion or banshee can be a big gamechanger.)

TL;DR: Basically, I believe that if the other team allows you to steal their vehicle than you deserve it because you gained it through exploiting their mistakes or lack of defences. What do you think?

tippy2k2

Beloved Tyrant
Legacy
Mar 15, 2008
It is not cheating.

If you just abandon the vehicle somewhere that someone can't get to in order to take the vehicle out of play, that is against the spirit of the game but it's still not cheating.

DJ_DEnM

My brother answers too!
Dec 22, 2010
Hardly. It means that your team should watch the vehicles better. If it was stolen from your base, then your team is probably bad. I mean, it's not MGS, it shouldn't be too hard to notice a sneaking enemy.

Keoul

Apr 4, 2010
Hey if it's not an exploit or glitch it's perfectly acceptable. I do it all the time myself when I still played Bad Company, that feeling you get from sneaking behind enemy lines and flanking them with their own vehicles is awesome.

Sassafrass

This is a placeholder
Legacy
Aug 24, 2009
Country
United Kingdom
No, it's not cheap.
BUT...it is fucking annoying.

I like hoofing it in BF3 and I do not appreciate getting a Viper up my ass and another one down my throat whilst I'm trying to avoid a tank, infantry and the usual four or five snipers taking pot shots at me from the top of the hotel on Gulf Of Oman.[footnote]Seriously, always a sniper on that roof. It's the easiest kill any one will ever get.[/footnote] Lets also add to that I'm probably the only one trying to take them out with a Stinger/IGLA and frustration is the result.

But yeah, whilst it is annoying, it's not unfair. They managed to get to your base, get in it and take off.
They kinda earned it.

Cabisco

May 7, 2009
I can see why an admin would put that rule in, it can be really annoying/boring when a team have absolute control over the vehicles, moreover because it usually means you will get squashed into your spawn point and wiped out. But I still don't consider it cheating and have on occasion stole enemy vehicles myself, I just understand why someone would ban it.

MammothBlade

It's not that I LIKE you b-baka!
Oct 12, 2011
Hardly. It's part of the game, it's not cheating unless it's an exploit or hack. It's an incentive to defend your damn base.

clippen05

Jul 10, 2012
Wow, I thought most people would be on the other side of the argument; I guess I was wrong

Luftwaffles

Apr 24, 2010
Actually on some of the maps with only one vehicle you can pretty much break the entire game by nicking their assets.

Grand bazaar, the last stage of damavend and seine crossing (because dice loves chokepoints and vehicles). If the defenders are able to acquire the tanks then its not really worth playing.

Have to point out however, if someone leaves their burning tank/chopper in your base, and you repair it and use it against them, its not cheap. Always ALWAYS go down with the asset.

Nouw

Mar 18, 2009
Not at all. In fact, you can even hijack an opponent's vehicle in Halo!

Valanthe

Sep 24, 2009
I put no, simply because to steal another's vehicle isn't a "fair" way to win the game. Winning "fairly" would be to honourably meet your foe in the field and best him openly.

That said, Battlefield, like life, isn't "fair." Every time someone dies to a killer they never saw, that is not fair death, but sucks to be them. A fair game is also a very boring game. So no, staling the other team's vehicle isn't fair, but it's their fault that they left it unguarded, so more power to you.

Fijiman

I am THE PANTS!
Legacy
Dec 1, 2011
Generally speaking, no it is not. Of course it's annoying as hell when it's your shit that's being stolen, but it's generally not cheap. Although, in Halo, it can be really unfair when the enemy team has managed to get all of the power weapons and/or vehicles and are camped in areas where either they can easily spawn kill your team or is really hard to get them out of. It also doesn't help when half your damn team quits because of that.[sub]Bunch of bastards. Too afraid to lose a single stupid match.[/sub]

burningdragoon

Warrior without Weapons
Jul 27, 2009
No, it's not cheating. That's a silly question. It's also completely reasonable for servers set up more specific rules.

Some of the attitude in this thread amuses me a bit though. Basically coming down to "it's their fault they aren't as good as me"

Shock and Awe

Winter is Coming
Sep 6, 2008
Nope, you make tactical mistake like that prepare to suffer the consequences. Anytime I play a vehicle map in Halo I make sure to take the opportunity to blow up/jack any vehicle at the enemy base. It sticks them at a huge disadvantage that was easily avoidable.

Paradoxrifts

Jan 17, 2010
clippen05 said:
TL;DR: Basically, I believe that if the other team allows you to steal their vehicle than you deserve it because you gained it through exploiting their mistakes or lack of defenses. What do you think?
Depends.

By breaking any of the server rules, no matter how arbitrary, you would still be deliberately going out of your way to be a massive prick and thus well deserving of the righteous application of the Banhammer. This is because you would be effectively breaking a social contract with your fellow players and the host, by refusing to follow the same rules that they also signed on to follow, when they logged on and started playing in the first place.

Play the field, not your expectations of how that field should be presented.

However without the provision of additional rules, anything the game allows for is perfectly fair game in my opinion. Including the hijacking of collective team resources such as vehicles.

CityofTreez

Sep 2, 2011
In what bloody world would it be cheap/unfair?

It's their fault they let you into their base without noticing. You outsmarted/played better than they did, so what's wrong?

Titan Buttons

Apr 13, 2011
Well it's definetly not cheat or otherwise it would be impossible to do.
Is it fun, very sportsmen like or in some cases just unfair.
Such as one multiplayer game in halo-blood glutch map. 2 tanks per side if one team has all 4 you can use them to surround the base and kill everyone as they spawn.