Poll: Is stealing the other team's vehicles in competitive multiplayer cheap/unfair?

Zack Alklazaris

Oct 6, 2011
No its hilarious and makes me feel slightly like James Bond. Run through enemy fire, hijacking one of their tanks, then mowing them all down is just fun every time.

AngryFrenchCanadian

Dec 4, 2008
If the game allows it, it's fair game in my opinion, but they should really patch BF3 so that you can't capture an enemy vehicle unless it moved away from it's spawn position, so that you can't just stroll over the enemy base in a jet, jump out and capture the chopper. It happens all too often when the server population is low. Until then, it's fair game.

Biodeamon

Apr 11, 2011
No of course of not. It is the responsibilty of the team to keep valuable assests from falling into enemies hands, and failing that destroy them before the enemy can get them.

Also its hilarious when you do steal the other teams vechiles.

superspartan004

Jul 3, 2009
If anybody does anything within the realm of the game that wasnt do to external mods than its fair game.

Stealing vehicles isnt unfair.

Spawn camping isnt cheap/unfair, if you get spawn camped it's because the other team is clearly much better than your team, and no opposing team is going to give up map control just so you can think it's fair, because all that will accomplish is you moving 15 feet farther and then dying.

Most people who complain about these things do it themselves anyway, these are just excuses so the player doesnt blame himself for bad play.

TheRussian

May 8, 2011
No, in my opinion it is a legitimate strategy.
You do everything in your power to win.
Rigging enemy vehicles with plastic explosives? I do it.

Texas Joker 52

All hail the Pun Meister!
Jun 25, 2011
Its not cheap or unfair to steal vehicles, no. Its good strategy, and if vehicles are part of a game, they should be used to their fullest extent-- EXCEPT.

Yes, there is a big-ass exception there, and that's where you not only steal their vehicles, but use theirs and your own to camp their spawn.

I do not care what anyone says, camping a spawn is cheap and unfair, and honestly, I feel bad whenever my team is doing it. Admittedly, I feel a small rush of guilty pleasure at the same time, but that does not make it any less cheap. Whether its in one of the myriad of Call of Duty's, or in one of the Battlefields, spawn-trapping and spawn-camping is cheap.

LITE992

Jun 18, 2011
No, because the other team can do it too, and if you can do it, the other team should have done a better job of keeping it away from you.

One tactic a guy in my clan back in the BC2 days was to take the enemy's vehicle when they abandoned it. It is very common for players to escape vehicles when they are on low health, so you can hold fire on it and take it for your team. Another tank for the enemy team won't spawn until this one is destroyed.

In a sentence, it's not cheap, it rewards players who are smart enough to get the enemy's tank from them.

Mariakko

Nov 21, 2011
Of course it's completely fair. Vehicles don't take sides in war.

Halo: In your base, Stealing your Banshee

Muspelheim

Apr 7, 2011
It's perfectly fair. They left them unguarded in the first place. And if your toon can instantly pilot a fighterjet, a tank and all sorts of things inbetween, going from a U.S. to a Russian craft can't be too difficult. Those lads are a wasted opportunity in the army, I say...

EightGaugeHippo

Apr 6, 2010
If you leave your teams tanks and jeeps unguarded and unmanned, and an enemy player walks on over and hops in for a ride. I say its fair gain (you bastard).

If you die while manning a vehicle and a person kills you and takes it, that is also fair gain. You lost the fight because his tactics or use of weapons was superior, he wins the tank.

DementedSheep

Jan 8, 2010
No its not, they should have been defending it and they can do the same to you. What is fair now? Both teams standing opposite each other on an open field and shooting until one team wins?

lithiumvocals

Jun 16, 2010
There are no rules in war; even less in online deathmatches.

EDIT: Though I will say spawn camping with said vehicles is a bit unsportsmanlike.

Thatguyky

May 23, 2011
I personally DO think it is cheap and unfair, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't do it. I'm pretty sure the same ideal applies in real war. Besides, like many people have mentioned, it's partially the other teams fault for letting you snag their vehicle in the first place. As long as people don't actually hack in a game or glitch the game, I think whatever you can think of doing/do is fair game.

MetallicaRulez0

Aug 27, 2008
"Obligatory Third Option"

Why?

Because competitive multiplayer doesn't contain vehicles.
"But Battlefield is built around vehicles rabble rabble blah blah blah!"
Battlefield with vehicles is not a competitive multiplayer game.

randomsix

Apr 20, 2009
Guffe said:
Hell no!
As you said, they don't want it and you take the risk to steal it. You get it and it's yours.
I mean case in point BF is supposed to be somewhat "realistic" shooter, well you don't see people moaning in real war about cheating if someone steals your vehicle. If you fight 8 on 8 first to 50 in war game... There's only one rule. = Any means neccessary!
You also don't see every run of the mill frontline soldier knowing how to operate enemy machinery in real war either.

OT: Taking an abandoned vehicle? Great. Do it.

Taking a vehicle inside a contestable area? Great. Do it.

Taking a vehicle inside an uncappable base, like one that is obviously meant to be a primary staging area? Hell no. It is bad game design if you are able to. There would be guards and sentries and other failsafes in such a base, but these are difficult to program, and no one wants to be stuck with base duty when they log on to play. Add to this the fact that it is much easier to get away with a vehicle because it is a game, not a simulator, and the resulting situation is that it is much easier to make off with hardware from what should be a very secure base than it should be.

A.A.K

Mar 7, 2009
If Team A stole all the vehicles of Team B and used them, and Team B was still gaming and having fun with the challenge, then it doesn't matter. Team A has the advantage yea, but if B wants to continue, then there's no problem.

If Team B thought that the game wasn't worth playing, or wasn't enjoying themselves anymore, then Team A starts being the physical manifestation of a piece of shit.

So long as you're having fun, it doesn't matter. Obligatory Third Opinion - AWAY!

sora91111

Dec 10, 2010
It's not cheap or unfair it's just how the game works. I remember playing Star Wars Battlefront with my bro a while back and my favorite thing to do was take a speeder to his base and steal the best enemy vehicle. Then wreck the enemies home base.

Bad Jim

Nov 1, 2010
AngryFrenchCanadian said:
If the game allows it, it's fair game in my opinion, but they should really patch BF3 so that you can't capture an enemy vehicle unless it moved away from it's spawn position, so that you can't just stroll over the enemy base in a jet, jump out and capture the chopper. It happens all too often when the server population is low. Until then, it's fair game.
Unreal Tournament 2004 / Unreal Tournament 3 has that. Freshly spawned vehicles are locked and can only be stolen if they are abandoned by their owner.

Also, in the Onslaught / Warfare modes, the enemy can only effectively spawn camp once you are down to your last node, at which point they can just blow it up for the win. So they won't drag out the situation unless they are assholes, which many are, but usually one of them will end the game.

It's bad design if you can just steal freshly spawned vehicles but the fault is with the devs not the players. Who do they let design games these days? Spawn camping was a solved problem ten years ago.