Poll: Is The "PC Elitist" As Common As The Escapist Would Like To Think?

Smertnik

Apr 5, 2010
TheKasp said:
I view the console as the inferiour platform. Less raw power, worse controls (since I can pretty much plug in anything and play), worse backwards compability.
Well, that's pretty much a fact. Nobody can argue with that.

But judging people because of their gaming platform of choice is beyond silly.

endtherapture

Nov 14, 2011
I don't feel elite because I'm a PC gamer, it's just convienience for me.

I use my laptop for the internet, university work, music, and gaming. It's portable and I can do it anywhere I want. It cost £500 and does EVERYTHING I need in a device.

Console gamers happen to think that you need to buy some magical computer for several thousand pounds and spent an hour tweaking the settings of a game for every 10 minutes you spend playing.

I understand the draw for consoles, console gamers don't seem to understand why I want to play games on my laptop. It's silly.

endtherapture

Nov 14, 2011
TheKasp said:
Well, thats fair. In serious discussions I try to mention that consoles are overall easier to mantain (plug & play) which is in my opinion the biggest advantage the console has over the PC.
Console aren't easier to mantain though.

My laptop all I have to is download Steam and log into my account. Everything gets automatically updated. I have to worry about nothing. All I have to do is play the game and turn my wireless mouse on.

For me, a console would be far more maintenance.

The argument that consoles are easier to play have no validity at all.

Kajt

Feb 20, 2009
I don't doubt their existence, but I can't say I've ever met a PC elitist.

And no, I'm not one myself. I play on and enjoy both.

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
As a PC gamer, I would lie if I said they don't exist. These are the people who think that consoles shouldn't exist. I don't think like that. I just think that every game should be released for every system (unless we're talking about games that require mouse and keyboard), and that every version of the game should take advantages of the system it's being built on. Which means PC version shouldn't have to suffer from console limitations. That's it.

joe-h2o

The name's Bond... Hydrogen Bond
Oct 23, 2011
st0pnsw0p said:
9 Votes for "Yes"?
Jesus Christ, is this for real?
One of those "yes" votes was me - since I replied "yes" to the thread title's question, not the one underneath. I realised my mistake immediately (of course I don't think console gamers are inferior!) but there doesn't seem to be a way to retract your vote or change it.

Bostur

Mar 14, 2011
I suppose I'm a PC elitist, but I don't view console gamers as lesser gamers. I merely view console games as lesser games. Thats why I prefer the PC platform of course. ;-)

I don't really see anything wrong with having a preference for particular platforms, or specific styles of game design.

Xpheyel

Sep 10, 2007
Antitonic said:
DazZ. said:
Should probably link to one of them instead of satire then.
TheKasp said:
And linking to an actual example instead of a exageration of a console idiot would be actually helpful.
This is fair. Let's see what we've got. One [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/jump/9.131067.2888221], two [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/jump/9.322840.13220732][footnote]Though to be fair, this feels a little provoked[/footnote], three [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/jump/9.271280.10438847], four [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/jump/7.319817.13059668], five [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/jump/7.291534.11583055], six [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/jump/9.130569.2861987][footnote]Again, to be fair, this one's a little knife-edge[/footnote].

That's out of one search term: "PC Master Race". Like I said, every group has arseholes. It'd be as easy to find examples of console elitists.

[sub][sub]Hopefully, people don't take this the wrong way. I'm not trying to start trouble or anything, just offering some discussion...[/sub][/sub]
Uhm, the Glorious PC Gaming Master Race is itself a joke, a least partly aimed at how PC gamers perceive themselves and their games. It may have been coined by Yahtzee on the Escapist itself when reviewing the Witcher:
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/zero-punctuation/22-The-Witcher

As, actually, Yahtzee points out in the video, the PC-elitism comes in when it is directed at the design of the game's mechanics rather than purely technical aspects.

Railing about technical deficiencies are usually pointed at the developer or whoever did the port. Though, there are basically valid arguments to be made there about the merits of platform standardization. There is a non-trivial demand being made by PC game consumers that the games work to almost precisely the limitations set by their widely-varied hardware.

I think where the PC gaming elitism really gets people's backs up is when they attack the games for being "dumbed down for the console". Just append "gamers" to that. Ta-daa! You now have an insult directed at everyone that:
a) Uses consoles.
b) Liked the game.
That the game was somehow built to appeal to "the masses", "the lowest common denominator" or just idiots. Which rather implies that if you like it, you are the masses, the lowest common denominator, or just an idiot. In the spirit of generosity, a lot of them seem to mean that as a criticism of the game developer rather than an assertion of superiority (rather than being pure trolls, or real elitists that mean it). They equally don't seem to realize how badly it comes across.

ms_sunlight

Jun 6, 2011
Some of us are PC gamers because we like the platform. It's actually not more expensive than console gaming - you pay more for the hardware, but games are considerably cheaper, even free, backwards compatability is excellent and you can use it for other things too.

I could say a great deal about how vacuous it is to think your purchasing choices say anything significant about your personal worth.

almostgold

Dec 1, 2009
El Presidente said:
Please don't vote in the poll if you do not consider yourself a PC gamer
That's fair. Oh wait, I'm being sarcastic. Its actually retarded and biased.

It seems that people who whine and complain about PC elitism being all everywhere are actually much more common than PC elitists.
So? I know more people who complain about racism then I know racists. This doesn't mean anything.

zombieshark6666

Sep 27, 2011
They're not really elitists, because PC is factually superior. Even TB says so, and he's not exactly the sharpest knife in the drawer.

Besides, consoles gamers have to pay for their games, new or used. Losers.

El Presidente

Dec 26, 2011
almostgold said:
El Presidente said:
Please don't vote in the poll if you do not consider yourself a PC gamer
That's fair. Oh wait, I'm being sarcastic. Its actually retarded and biased.
Um, no. Did you even read the poll question? I was trying to get the general view of console gamers by PC gamers. Is a console gamer going to view console gamers as inferior to PC gamers? Of course not, asking would be fucking pointless.

almostgold said:
It seems that people who whine and complain about PC elitism being all everywhere are actually much more common than PC elitists.
So? I know more people who complain about racism then I know racists. This doesn't mean anything.
My point was the hypocrisy in insulting the PC gaming community for being supposedly elitist.

Kahunaburger

May 6, 2011
Are console gamers "lesser gamers?" Of course not. Is the PC the best platform for basically everything but local multiplayer? Yep.

DustyDrB

Made of ticky tacky
Jan 19, 2010
joe-h2o said:
st0pnsw0p said:
9 Votes for "Yes"?
Jesus Christ, is this for real?
One of those "yes" votes was me - since I replied "yes" to the thread title's question, not the one underneath. I realised my mistake immediately (of course I don't think console gamers are inferior!) but there doesn't seem to be a way to retract your vote or change it.
I did the same thing. I should really stop assuming poll questions are the same as questions posed by thread titles.

Thoric485

Aug 17, 2008
I don't mind people playing on a different platform.

What's annoying is that the PC's full potential isn't being utilised by what are supposedly "AAA" multiplatform titles.

Make something for PC and then port it to the PS3, X360, the Wii, the DS, i don't give a fuck.

But making something for 7-year old hardware and then selling it on PC at the same price as titles like TW2 and Shogun 2 is just insulting.