Poll: Is the simpsons getting worse

Caligulove

Sep 25, 2008
Its gotten worse overall I would say.

But there are still times, like some of the recent episodes that really do make me think of the good times for that show. Its not over yet. And I was surprised by the movie... was expecting a total shitfest, but really went out liking it. And then saw it again

FightThePower

The Voice of Treason
Dec 17, 2008
I only have the terrestrial channels so I can't watch any new Simpsons anyway. FML.

But the few ones I have seen were craptactular. Old ones were brilliant.

xJordash

Mar 8, 2012
I think a reason The Simpsons is getting worse is because they make too many pop culture refrences. I think the last good season was the ninth with my favorite episode being "King of the Hill". Season 11 was also fairly decent. I have all of the DVD's currently out.

MammothBlade

It's not that I LIKE you b-baka!
Oct 12, 2011
I stopped watching it quite a while ago. It's gone on for a decade too long, it beggars belief that it's still going despite the horrible decline in its quality. And meanwhile Futurama was cancelled before its time. >_<

EDIT: OH FFS, necro!

Goofguy

Nov 25, 2010
I still watch The Simpsons out of what I can only assume to be my misguided loyalty to a long ailing pillar of my childhood.

It's sad, really.

sorpaqq

May 12, 2011
They still have occasional great episodes like Eternal Moonshine Of The Simpson Mind, 24 Minutes and Holidays Of Future Passed.

bluepilot

Jul 10, 2009
Ummm, I like the Simpsons but in recent seasons it has lost its charm. There are some episodes from earlier seasons that really touched me and I can practically quote word for word (a fish called Selma, Simpsons roasting on an open fire, the one where Bart prays, Homer goes down the hill and almost makes it over the gorge etc).

I think Simpsons became to preachy and gag based, moving away from the "we are not perfect but what the hey" kind of ideal.

I remember the one where Lisa was upset because she wanted to be a vegetarian but her Dad was having this pig roast. The moral of the story was, "don't be preachy about your ideals", preachy Lisa was really annoying but I remember this brilliant joke:

(Mr. Burns office)

Mr burns: you know Smithers, I'll think I'll donate a million dollars to the local orphanage. When pigs fly

(burns and Smithers laugh. As they laugh, due to some earlier mishaps, the pig Homer was roasting flies past Burn's window abs they both see it.)

Smithers: Will you be donating that million dollars now sir?

Burns: I'd still rather not

Agh, I love the Simpsons plus their animals too. Like when Homer wants to use the hammock but the dog is in the hammock all happy ang wagging its tale. So Homer says, "down, down, don't look at me like that."

Sigh, the show had some great moments indeed.

Tipsy Giant

May 10, 2010
it lost steam when the writers moved to Futurama when it first started. The replacement writers aren't as good, not terrible, just not as good.
Futurama on the other hand is AWESOME, all down to the writers

Limecake

May 18, 2011
Tipsy Giant said:
it lost steam when the writers moved to Futurama when it first started. The replacement writers aren't as good, not terrible, just not as good.
This is exactly how I used to feel, although I'm starting to come around to the idea that the Simpsons are still as good as they've always been.

What changed my mind was watching the 'itchy and scratchy and poochy show' episode. This episode was written because many people at the time (late 90's) thought the show was running out of ideas even comic book guys 'worst episode ever' was a jab at the early internet trolls constantly complaining about the decline in quality of the show.

Around Season 8 (couple before and maybe a couple after) were my favorite seasons as a kid! It's strange to realize that what I thought was the Simpsons best seasons are considered by many older fans to be where the show was already in decline.

that being said I don't care for the newer episodes because of the more 'random' nature of the jokes. I always appreciated the simpsons satirical nature and the newer episodes seem to be more focused on being 'randomly ridiculous' than relating to any current events. That being said this might be exactly what the newest generation of Simpsons fans want.

Tipsy Giant

May 10, 2010
Limecake said:
Tipsy Giant said:
This is exactly how I used to feel, although I'm starting to come around to the idea that the Simpsons are still as good as they've always been.

What changed my mind was watching the 'itchy and scratchy and poochy show' episode. This episode was written because many people at the time (late 90's) thought the show was running out of ideas even comic book guys 'worst episode ever' was a jab at the early internet trolls constantly complaining about the decline in quality of the show.

Around Season 8 (couple before and maybe a couple after) were my favorite seasons as a kid! It's strange to realize that what I thought was the Simpsons best seasons are considered by many older fans to be where the show was already in decline.

that being said I don't care for the newer episodes because of the more 'random' nature of the jokes. I always appreciated the simpsons satirical nature and the newer episodes seem to be more focused on being 'randomly ridiculous' than relating to any current events. That being said this might be exactly what the newest generation of Simpsons fans want.
you know series 8 was 1997, futurama started in 1999.... Futurama still has the same humour as early simpsons, just better and slightly more adult, I think when you hit your teenage years it's easier to relate to Fry than Bart.