Poll: Is your band well known?

Xpwn3ntial

Avid Reader
Dec 22, 2008
I am the only person I am acquainted with who knows of The Black Angels.

SpaceSpork

May 15, 2009
The Beatles? Pretty well known.
Marilyn Manson? Maybe in his heyday: now that he's signed to an independent label, perhaps the tabloids will quit stalking him and everyone will forget about him but the other memebers of his band and his huge fanbase of 6.
Beck? I guess. Sort of. Kind of. If he ever comes out with another album.

Hatchet90

Nov 15, 2009
Novs said:
Hatchet90 said:
Novs said:
Hatchet90 said:
For people who confess to hating bad music... there's an awful lot of bad music mentioned here.
Whats good music.

OT: I havent met anyone in life who has heard of Cynic. But people have heard of Opeth and King Crimson, everyone knows Black Sabbath and Pink Floyd.
Add genesis to the list and THAT'S good music (minus black sabbath).

OT: I dunno, Van dyke Parks, Alexander skip spence, or Syd Barret?
Why minus Black Sabbath, their very good.
I find Genesis to be pretty boring.
Listen to the Lamb Lies Down Broadway, if you already have :p. Black Sabbath is just okay, the typical 70's rock group.

-Samurai-

Oct 8, 2009
Coheed and Cambria are kinda well known. They have tons of fans, and commercial success, but they're still pretty low or not even on most people radar.

The same goes for Nonpoint and Sevendust.

GiantRaven

Dec 5, 2010
Hatchet90 said:
For people who confess to hating bad music... there's an awful lot of bad music mentioned here.
So...taste isn't subjective? Who would'a thunk it...

freakydan

Jan 28, 2010
ripdajacker said:
One of the bands I listen to atm is Five Finger Death Punch, and I've only met one other guy that knows them. So obscure enough I would say.
I caught about two seconds of Five Finger Death Punch at Mayhem Fest back in 2008, on my way to the main stage to catch DragonForce. On retrospect, kinda wish I'd stuck with Five Finger Death Punch...

OT - Some of my favorites are U2 (Don't judge me), AC/DC, and Billy Joel, all of which are pretty popular, whether you like them or not.

Gildan Bladeborn

Aug 11, 2009
No, not really - for one, I'm uncertain I could actually categorize any of the myriad bands that I really enjoy as my "favorite", but supposing I did it would probably end up being a band that's all but completely unknown on this side of the Atlantic, because that describes at least 75% of what I listen to these days.

Fumbles

Apr 15, 2009
Kasurami said:
Hands up if you've heard of Hurt, Funeral for a Friend or Fightstar.

That's what I thought.
My hands up....

On topic I like Tool/APC, Coheed and Cambria, and Eluveitie.... Most people atleast in America dont know who Eluveitie is.

Captain Pirate

Nov 18, 2009
dakorok said:
L3m0n_L1m3 said:
Kind of, but probably moreso in Europe rather than America.

(Pendulum ftw.)
Holy crap, dude, that was going to me my answer exactly.
Pendulum FTW.
I agree, Pendulum FTW. One of the greatest live acts of the last decade. Their new light show.... Wow.

GiantRaven said:
I love opinions. They portray such kindness towards how other people think.

Oh, wait...

Whatever happened to just letting people listen to whatever they want to listen to?
Opinions aren't all about portraying kindness towards others. They are about expressing what you think. It's the person's choice whether to do it nicely or aggresively.

And also, who said I wasn't letting them listen to whatever they want to listen to?
Have you seen me phsyically rip someone's iPod from them, delete 'When We Collide' and then give it back? No.
Because I wouldn't dare do that.

I'm letting people listen to whatever, but that doesn't mean I have to like it.
It's called freedom of speech.
Often when I'm talking to chart-loving people, I say their music's shite in my opinion, they ask what music I listen to, and often they return my comment back at me.
They're fine to do that, but I'll still argue with them about my opinion that Chart music is usually about making music for the money, not because the artist want to make music because they have a passion for it.

Also, bit of hypocrisy on your part. "I love opinions. They portray such kindness towards how other people think.

Oh, wait..."

Easily noticeable sarcasm there. That's not particularly portraying kindness towards how I think.
But I'm not too fussed; you can be sarcastic and present your opinion however you want to.

-Samurai-

Oct 8, 2009
ripdajacker said:
One of the bands I listen to atm is Five Finger Death Punch, and I've only met one other guy that knows them. So obscure enough I would say.
I saw them live last year in a crowd of 32,000 people. I managed to get 1 picture while they were setting up, but the crowd was just too insane for me to get anything during their set.
That's the coolest microphone stand I've ever seen. The bottom is bullets and shells, the middle is a spine with a skull on top, and a desert eagle pointed at the singer. The microphone goes on top of the gun, and the microphone has brass knuckles on top of it that he put his fingers through when he pulled it off the stand.

Sn1P3r M98

May 30, 2010
System of a Down is fairly well known. They've got a few songs in Rock Band, so they are quite well known I'd say.

DanielBrown

Dangerzone!
Dec 3, 2010
Not really.
My favorite band is Overkill, and you'd probably only know of them if you're a thrasher.